SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Plain fried eggs can be so good!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plain fried eggs can be so good! Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Sounds like mid-rats to me. When I was in the marines and stationed over seas, I always pulled over nights. At around 2300, we’d go to the Sky Village chow hall for midnight rations. They had the best omelets over a bed of white rice. All you could eat. The meat was usually left overs from the day or bacon or sausage.

I have found memories of those meals.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
If I end up with firm yokes, I’ve screwed up. If I had a dog, I’d give it to him. Green salsa on eggs sounds good. Whenever I make an omelet, ghost pepper salsa is always an important ingredient.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Living in Hawaii the spam eggs and rice meal became a common breakfast. I’m a firm believer that behind salt, eggs are one of the best “toppings” for MANY meals.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6252 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
Cast iron skillets work great for fried eggs!
Subtle favor enhancements can be achieved with different oils, greases, but it is hard to beat bacon grease!
Toast, biscuits, and potatoes go well as side dishes!

I'm with Jim. Love my Stargazer cast iron skillets for breakfast duty.
<snip>

I sometimes cook eggs in my cast iron pan. Here’s an open-face omelette with lots of Muenster cheese:

Now out of the pan with black pepper and Cholula Green Pepper:

It was pretty danged good, but I think eggs cooked in my Bialetti nonstick pan are as good as eggs cooked in cast iron.

BTW – I showed you my fried eggs. Let’s see yours! Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8852 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
great looking eggs OP!!!

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't eat eggs often, but every once in a while I LOVE fried eggs and good bacon for dinner. Throw in a good belgian waffle and I'm in heaven.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Fresh home made potato pancakes with 2 sunny side up eggs on it,sliced tomatoes on the side with a touch of balsamic vinegar

Posts: 2302 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
Made a few poached eggs this morning. Used the sous vide at 167 degrees, for 13 minutes. Then just crack the eggs over toast when they're done. Perfect lava yolks.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 769 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
Cast iron skillets work great for fried eggs!
Subtle favor enhancements can be achieved with different oils, greases, but it is hard to beat bacon grease!
Toast, biscuits, and potatoes go well as side dishes!

I'm with Jim. Love my Stargazer cast iron skillets for breakfast duty.
<snip>

BTW – I showed you my fried eggs. Let’s see yours! Smile

Okay, here ya go. Almost done! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Related thread drift.

Do you guys have a preferred brand of eggs?

I've done blind taste tests several times across about a dozen different egg brands. All of them "premier" brands on the more pricey side.

Time and again, for me, Eggland's large brown eggs come out on top. The yolks and whites just taste better for me. And they are a little cheaper than the other premium brands.

Frankly, I was surprised that I could find a distinction and a preference. An egg is an egg, right?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
We get farm fresh eggs from a neighbor. Usually only a day old. No store bought egg will even come close. I never could bring myself to eat a fried egg. I'm a scrambled egg guy all the way. I started using Kent Rollins recipe and method for scrambled eggs and omelets. Once you do this there is no going back. Wish I would have found out about it long before I did.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

Egglands here too for supermarket eggs. That said many many years ago we could get farm fresh and as lastmanstanding says, nothing else comes close.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

Egglands here too for supermarket eggs. That said many many years ago we could get farm fresh and as lastmanstanding says, nothing else comes close.

This is why we raise our own chickens and have for 30 years. There is no comparison compared to store bought eggs.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I like a few fried eggs with Spam on white rice. Weird, I know. Big Grin

Slight thread drift but if you haven’t seen this place you should. Surprisingly well done and informative. Hormel is still where it was founded.

https://www.spam.com/museum

Posts: 766 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My latest efforts, using jumbo eggs. I had an idea: use a fork to break the yolks and spread them out a bit. With the yolks broken and flattened, results are very consistent with my open loop time & temperature cooking process, regardless of yolk size. A bit of water in the pan makes steam to cook their tops. Here’s the result of two trials with different degrees of yolk spreading.

The eggs in my Bialetti Ceramic Pro nonstick pan, set in my Breville Smart Grill.

On the plate. A pleasing appearance IMO. The dark bits are from my herbed butter.

Now with seasoning salt, black pepper, and Cholula Green Pepper hot sauce.

Both trials produced tasty eggs. I like this method!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8852 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
i like my eggs fried right after i cook sausage...deep in sausage grease.

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
You just need a piece of toast or a tortilla to wipe up the yolks and that is perfect.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I like my eggs fried right after I cook BACON...deep in BACON grease.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now with salt, freshly-ground black pepper, and Cholula Green Pepper hot sauce.

..bbbuttt they aren't plain anymore then? Eek

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Now with salt, freshly-ground black pepper, and Cholula Green Pepper hot sauce.

..bbbuttt they aren't plain anymore then? Eek

Agreed.
While we all love seeing, and reading about exotic ways to cook those eggs, these food threads always morph into a Julia Child Sig Forum Pots and Pans thread !

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post