SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any experience with recent Mercedes Biturbo motors? Update: G550 it is
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any experience with recent Mercedes Biturbo motors? Update: G550 it is Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I agree on the Range Rovers, I rode in a new one. They SUCK. Drift all over on the highway, rough ride on the highway, lots of engine noise on the highway and not even comfortable to sit in. Plus always in the shop.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jack32586
posted Hide Post
We just bought a 2017 C43 AMG coupe. Nice car, fun to drive. It can be economical, if you drive like an old lady in eco mode. We chose the C43 over the 63 because the 43 is all wheel drive and 410 HP with a simple upgrade.

Posts: 206 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jack32586:
We just bought a 2017 C43 AMG coupe. Nice car, fun to drive. It can be economical, if you drive like an old lady in eco mode. We chose the C43 over the 63 because the 43 is all wheel drive and 410 HP with a simple upgrade.

Please Keep me updated on how you like it. I love the look of the SUV coupes but we just don't fit well in them. I actually much prefer the look of the GLC coupe to the standard GLC SUV, but I think if we were to go that route it would be with the GLE for the extra size. Right now it's looking more and more like we will go with the G550 but we are still a few months out from making up our minds. My wife is feeling like buying this time and the G550 just holds it value so much better than any of the other vehicles we are looking at. Also I think I could reasonably keep the G550 for 15 years or more and be happy with it.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
Update:

I'll be putting a deposit on a G550 this week. It's going to be ordered and will arrive in September, although I won't be ready for it until October. Ultimately, the deciding factor was that my wife and I really wanted to buy instead of lease this time. I'll have another sports car when this is paid off and go back to being a 3 car family. Until then, I'll have something I've always wanted, and something I'll keep for the long haul that's pretty unique. The dealer got one of the last allotments for a 2017 order. I can make changes for almost 2 more weeks but I'm sticking with a base 550, with the standard (non black) AMG 19" wheels, with black interior, piano black wood trim, adjustable suspension and a heated steering wheel. I'm going to get either black, obsidian black, capri blue or mystic blue. Right now it's slated for obsidian black, but I can change that for a bit. I'll be sure to post pics when I complete the purchase. Thanks to all for the input.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Outstanding sir.

Keeping something for a long time is the way to go for at least one vehicle in the household.

Non-black wheels = you still have sight in your eyes and can see how ugly black wheels are.

I am a silver kind of guy for my Mercs (we have two silver ones right now), but we live in Texas where it is hot most of the time.

A black G-wagon or a dark blue G-wagon will look fantastic. Congrats on the purchase and let us see how it looks!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new MB! My wife drives a 15 ML400 but it's only got the 3.0 biturbo. I will say I like the motor although still a little underpowered for my liking as I'm coming from a 700rwhp CTS-V. It gets up and goes pretty well for what it is. It has been very reliable for the 2+ years wifey has been driving it. It has been her favorite vehicle to date.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I was going to suggest waiting for the new Alfa suv. The quadrifoglio has a beast Ferrari v6.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I was at the Mercedes Benz dealership yesterday, and their fit and finish has come along way since the early 2000's.

The selection of models, variants, and packages, is astounding.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I was at the Mercedes Benz dealership yesterday, and their fit and finish has come along way since the early 2000's.

The selection of models, variants, and packages, is astounding.

I agree. I hate to say it but their interior blows even my beloved BMW out of the water. The G Wagon is still very different due to its almost 40 year old design, but they've still made it very nice. Their newer interiors, particularly what has debuted on the E class are nothing short of amazing.

Picture of jack32586
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. The update on the 43- 5 months in and she's purring like a kitten. Still love it.

Posts: 206 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
Congratulations.

Thanks but it will still be a few months before I've actually "bought" the vehicle. It is slated for production in less than a month with delivery to NY in September. There's still a lot that could get screwed up so I'm not counting my chickens yet, but I really can't wait!

Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jack32586:
Congratulations. The update on the 43- 5 months in and she's purring like a kitten. Still love it.

Just for grins I took out a GLE 43 when I was at the dealership where I've decided to order from and it is awesome. The 43 series biturbo V6 engines throughout the range are spectacular. Except for all out straight line acceleration, I don't think I noticed much of a difference driving the 63s vs the 43. And the 43 was about $40,000 less too! Mercedes has really hit a home run with their AMG 43 series vehicles!

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Girlfriend has a 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS with a 5 liter V8. That thing is a joy to drive (and my daily driver is a 550 hp convertible). I highly recommend the Cayenne, however all the new ones are now only V6 Turbo's.

I also really like the Mercedes AMG 6.3 V-8's… Those things sound terrific and deliver the power.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
however all the new ones are now only V6 Turbo's.

LOL, as if this is an issue, particularly from a Porsche guy. Razz

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9688 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post