SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any experience with recent Mercedes Biturbo motors? Update: G550 it is
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any experience with recent Mercedes Biturbo motors? Update: G550 it is Login/Join 
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted
So, I sold my 2015 BMW M3 fun car on Friday. I loved the car but I didn't like paying as much as I did for a car that I would only drive for half the year, particularly when I had no desire to own the car after the lease was done. My intentions are to replace the M3, and likely my wife's SUV with a high performance luxury SUV that we can actually enjoy year round. The key vehicles I've been considering have been the BMW X5M, the Mercedes GLE AMG 63S and the Range Rover Sport Supercharged. I've only been able to drive non V8 supercharged Range Rover Sports, but both my wife and I like them. I've driven X5 50is and like them a lot, but haven't got to drive the X5M yet, and feel the non M SUV just isn't special enough for what I want. Then last weekend my wife and I took a drive downstate and test drove the Mercedes GLE AMG 63s and HOLY CRAP what a car! The sound was literally the thing of dreams, the speed and handling were great and the interior was superb.

The thing is, just like the M3 I don't think I'd want to own the X5M, Mercedes AMG or Range Rover Sport. They are great vehicles, but they are super advanced and quite honestly change too much over too short a period of time. I can't see owning one over the long haul. The crazy thing is though on a whim, we decided to test drive a Mercedes G550 while we were testing the GLE AMG, and again - what a vehicle! I love it so much, but in a different way and for different reasons than the others. It still gets up and goes (0-60 in 5.8 seconds) but not as fast as the rest and without the car-like handling. Talk about presence though! The sound from the side pipes is spectacular, it is supremely luxurious and comfortable on the inside and it just exhudes capability.

I've always loved and wanted a G wagon, but I never thought I'd be able to own one. Now I find myself in a position where I'm seriously considering buying one. The thing is though, I can actually see myself buying the G550. The vehicle is timeless and hasn't changed on the outside in 40 years and isn't likely to change much anytime soon. Also, it's pretty robust and from all the enthusiast sites that I've read they aren't too hard to work on, which only further reinforces my desire to buy the G550 and keep it forever as the beginning of my car collection. The only concern I have is the 4.0 biturbo V8 which powers the G550. It seems fairly detuned compared to the AMG GT models and the C63 AMG, but is it likely to be as reliable and have similar longevity to the 5.5 liter naturally aspirated V8 which powered the G550 very reliably for a number of years previously?

Thanks to all in advance for your insight.

UPDATE on Page 2

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lt CHEG,

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
I can't relate...

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
A turbocharged car/engine is always going to require a little more attention than a naturally-aspirated one. It's the nature of the beast, but the rewards are many.
Twin turbo means "times two" if/when things wear out or need replaced. If you do your own wrenching, then acquiring a factory service manual (or similar) is almost mandatory on a late-model vehicle. So many electrical systems, CAN-BUS networks, etc. that run cars these days.
As for the physical systems: get intimately familiar with all the turbo-specific plumbing. Intercoolers, wastegates (if external), blow-off/recirc valves, etc. Every single one of them can provide an un-metered air leak.
Stay on top of maintenance, as turbos are hard on oil due to all the heat.
Enjoy the ever-loving hell out of the G-wagen, if that's what you choose.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
No direct experience with the 4.0 biturbo. Have they been around that long?

My father's got a 2014 CLS550 and that thing is a rocket, but uses the 4.7L biturbo. I've personally seen a handful of various 2012-up models with over 100k miles without major issues on that 4.7L. MB doesn't usually lay an egg when it comes to engine reliability.

TT engines, especially when driven hard, can be hard on oil changes. The good thing about the MBs is that they typically make it so they hold a metric shit-ton of oil and their onboard analysis system is really quite advanced. I've had many a mercedes master tech tell me "seriously...the car will tell you when it needs an oil change, doing it sooner will be a waste of money"

The biggest consideration IMO is tires and brakes, as it is absolutely addictive driving one of those engines. Not quite the same in a G as it would be in an E or a CLS, but still. They do have a significant degree of tunability if you're into modifying, ECU tunes alone from kleemann or Renntech, while pricey, have been shown to add 60+hp and 100+ lb/ft of torque. Add downpipes and exhaust and they go even further, with some nice grunt to boot.

I'm assuming, based on your comparison models, that you're looking either new or CPO, in which case you definitely should extend the factory warranty if possible. The mercedes direct factory extended warranty I believe goes to 7yr/100k and is legitimately worth the cost, as that car gets older.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Similar to jcat, my grandmother has a 2014 S550 with the same TT V8. But, she doesn't put much mileage on it, so not a great data point.
That said, it's been trouble free for her so far.

Also agreed, it's a rocket & silent as a tomb at 100mph.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't own any of those without a warranty. Either sell them a year before the warranty is up or lease. I would stay away from the Land Rover unless you like it being repaired as much as you drive it.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at a Cayenne?

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I've been considering a G Wagon as my fun car as well. In a perfect world, the G350 Professional would be available here in the States.

The problem with mating a high output engine to something like the G Wagon is that a tall, narrow, Lego block, 3 ton truck, on a solid frame and axels, is not going to be very forgiving and exudes more ostentatiousness than sense. It's like putting 24" chrome rims on a lowered pickup truck.

The other concern is that the infotainment system and gauge cluster will one day look terribly dated. We've got a 15 year old SL500 in my parent's garage, and frankly, the little 3.5 inch GPS screen, the telephone numeric keypad on the center stack, and the LCD screen in the gauge cluster looks hokey as shit. It looked fantastic in 2003, but now that we're keeping it "forever," I'd rather have had some satin finished wood and polished analog gauge clusters. 20 years from now, a new G Wagon's interior may look out of place with its rugged exterior.

My plan now is to instead buy a Volvo XC90, with every safety feature known to man, and use that as the soon to be Wifey's daily driver, trading it out when we get bored with it, wreck it, or the kids outgrow it. Keep my Subaru Outback as my daily driver, and driving it into the ground, and getting an older, naturally aspired G Wagon or Land Cruiser as the project car.

That's the dream/plan right now.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
i have a LOT of experience with the bi-turbo mercedes cars (and BMW's). we have an F10 M5 shop car and produce some of the fastest CLS and E63's in the country.

If you want a truck, I would look at the GLE63 over the G wagon. They do look cool, but have the aerodynamics of a brick, and aren't as much fun to drive as you may think. I just tuned a GLE and it is FAST. drive both, but I much prefer the GLE over the x5/m.

There is a ton of tuning options for both, if that's your thing. We do our turbo upgrade packages on both and make around 750hp at the WHEELS. I actually have one in my shop now we are doing our proprietary turbos on and tuning, he street races it and there is virtually nothing on the street that competes with it.

and a GLE63s we tuned a little while ago. Bone stock except our custom dyno tune. 80awhp and 135 ft/lb of torque.

ETA: we also have a new fullsize range rover and Escalade shop trucks we use to tow our trailers. I HATE the Range, on the highway even when not towing you look like your drunk because of how much it drifts around, they're slow, mechanically unreliable, etc. That would be VERY low on my list. For the money I would keep the Escalade and never look back at the Range Rover. Now, if we are talking about the Range Rover SVR, that's a different story... But it also has a $125k dollar sticker

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
cmr, if I find myself in PA, I'm coming by your shop, just to drool.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
cmr, if I find myself in PA, I'm coming by your shop, just to drool.

My shop is actually in the horrible state of NJ. Sigforum-ites are all, always welcome however!

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Cheg, like you I sold my naturally aspirated V8 M3 and bought something more practical for Montana living: a X5M with Dinan tuning 600+ HP trucklet. Prior to the M3 was an M5, and before that a Merc E55. The blown MB was likely the best motor of the lot, and I wouldn't hesitate a minute to get a bi-turbo Benz.
The wife has a 2016 Stage 2 Dinan BMW 550xi, also a bi-turbo V8 that has been perfectly reliable and hoot to drive. A real sleeper, it looks like any other garden variety 5 series, but with a killer motor.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bone stock except our custom dyno tune. 80awhp and 135 ft/lb of torque.

A 1600 cc Harley has more power than that! Razz

Buddy in the auto industry says you need to buy two range rovers, one to drive while the others in the shop. Said nobody keeps them after the warranty is up,

If you lease run it for the term of the warranty and give it back before it expires.

Me, I'd get the Benz...

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
no direct experience with the AMG motors, but can't say enough good things about MB's lately. Our E was fantastic and our new ML might be even better. My parents drive one. My in-laws have had two at all times the last 10 years. All fantastic cars. And the GLE coupe is bad to the bone, even with the standard MB engines.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait for the Jeep Grand Cherokee Hellcat -- 700+ HP, AWD.

Yeah, get the extended warranty.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagnumU:
Wait for the Jeep Grand Cherokee Hellcat -- 700+ HP, AWD.

Yeah, get the extended warranty.

I'm not interested in anything American for this purchase. Performance isn't enough by itself, and honestly the American vehicles that are close just aren't close enough. The interiors on the European stuff and even Lexus are just nicer and worth the price premium to me. I could totally see owning a Challenger or Charger Hellcat as a fun car, but this vehicle is just going for a different vibe.

quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:

I have and they just don't do it for me. I honestly didn't love them all that much, and I really felt like they were overpriced. I wouldn't want anything other than the turbo models and those models were just too expensive for our budget. Also they lease horribly, and from the people I know with Cayennes there's no way in hell I'd want to own one. I actually liked the Macan better but they just weren't right on the interior which is a shame because it was great otherwise.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
quote:

2nd'ed

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
quote:

2nd'ed

I know that the Cayenne is a darling of many, but I personally don't see why. I've only driven the GTS, but to me, it wasn't nearly as fun to drive as the Macan, and it simply does not compare to the GLE AMG 63s in the power department.

I'm still leaning towards the G550 for a couple reasons. First of all, my wife thinks she wants to buy and own a vehicle for a change instead of pissing $1600 a month away on a lease.

Secondly, of the vehicles I'm considering, the G550 is the only one I think I'd want to own over the long haul. The newer engine is a bit of a question mark but it sounds like that's not really a huge concern, and the rest of the vehicle is far more mechanical and far more user friendly to work on than any of the vehicles I've looked at.

Third, I've always been more of a truck guy that appreciates sports cars too. The fact that the G550 doesn't drive like the GLE AMG is okay with me. It's fast enough for easily merging and will pass effortlessly at sane speeds.

Lastly, and this is more long term than I normally think, buying and holding a G550 now could lead to a sweeter sports car purchase than I would otherwise make in 6-7 years. Any of the other cars would definitely be a lease as I like having the newest generation. After the next redesign, which will happen sooner than later, it will be clear that a 2017 GLE AMG or X5M are clearly not the newest generation. Meanwhile the G ain't changing and if I buy it now, even 15 years from now I'll feel like I've got something special. What this means is that if I buy the G550 now, then I might be able to buy something of similar value in 6 years. So in 6 years I could still have a pretty nice G550 AND something more along the lines of a 911 GTS or GT3, as opposed to just one nice vehicle.

That's my logic anyway, for what it's worth. I'm not 100% decided on anything yet, not even close. But I think there's a certain sense to what I'm thinking and which vehicle I'm leaning towards. And perhaps most importantly, my wife is actually pretty on board with the G550 too. She likes the looks of the X5M best, followed by the G550, then the GLE, but the only vehicle she would consider buying instead of leasing is the G550.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Because it's always fun to spend other people's money:

G-wagen > *
End thread!

An AMG G-wagen is my grail SUV.

The president of my former company, had a G55 AMG, she said it averaged 14mpg on the highway, so she usually drove her GL500.

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I'm going to throw out some other options having driven them and can highly recommend them.

First the Macan Turbo:
http://www.porsche.com/usa/mod...performance-package/

Blazingly fast but it might be a bit small. I have had this suv on the track at over 140 and it was planted..

If you want somethig larger, perhaps a bit rarer and of course more expensive try the Panamera 4S:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/mod...a-4s/#modelselection

Another blazingly fast car that is very comfortable but to me felt too large but your taste might differ.

Both vehicles will still look great 5-10 years from now...

As for the Mercedes line...my wife loves them...when their not in the shop...Nuf said.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post