SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sea lion mistakes young girl for lunch. Hilarity does not ensue.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sea lion mistakes young girl for lunch. Hilarity does not ensue. Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
Maybe they should obey the 'Do not feed' signs.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=443334...pulls-her-into-water

quote:
RICHMOND, British Columbia (CNN) — Some tourists in British Columbia got a bit of a scare when a sea lion grabbed a little girl and dragged her into the water.

Michael Fujiwara was sitting on a dock at the Steveston Fisherman's Wharf in Richmond, British Columbia on Saturday, when the California sea lion popped its head out of the water.

Fujiwara grabbed his phone and started shooting video.

He said the animal attracted a lot of attention and the girl and her family came to the edge of the dock.

"Her family started feeding the animal and the sea lion started to become comfortable," Fujiwara said. In the video, you can hear people laughing and whistling at the sea lion and holding their hands over the water, as if they were holding a treat.

At one point, the sea lion lunges within inches of the little girl's face. It seems like a friendly move, and the girl cackles with delight.

That glee turns to terror a few seconds later, when the seal lunges again, grabbing the girl and yanking her backwards into the water.

A man, who Fujiwara thinks was a relative, jumps in after her and bystanders pull them to safety.

"After being pulled back onto the dock, the family quickly walked away from the area without saying much," Fujiwara said. "They were probably very shaken up and just wanted to get away from the sea lion as fast as possible."

Bob Baziuk, the general manager of the Steveston Harbour Authority, told CNN that the girl and her rescuer were not hurt, and that he is trying to get more information about the incident.

He said the harbor is on the sea lions' migratory route and that males sometimes swim into the area looking for free food.

Baziuk said that they've been warning visitors not to feed the animals for years.

"It's not Sea World. It's a place where you buy fish," Baziuk said. "If you feed the animals like this you're asking for trouble."

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Another good reason not to name your child "Sushi".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Dumbassery. I'm glad the girl is okay, but they should have seen that coming.

Posts: 26894 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Plenty of signs he was pissed before he grabbed her.

Stupid hurts sometimes. She got off with just getting a dip in the water.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
It is a type of LION after all.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hilarity does not ensue.

I watched it several times and laughed each time. Big Grin
Does that make me a bad person?

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I want to know is if Yellow Jackets picture is legit

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Yep, that wasn't a food thing.

That was a very violent grab. If the SL had flipped her to the left instead of the right, he probably smashes her head into the boat.

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Plenty of signs he was pissed before he grabbed her.

Stupid hurts sometimes. She got off with just getting a dip in the water.

Posts: 8615 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Quick reaction by the rescuer.
Many people would have just stood there in shock.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Were They Oakley's?

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Quick reaction by the rescuer.
Many people would have just stood there in shock.

Yeah, some guy just froze and "Oh my God! Oh my God!"

The rescue guy looks like an old ninja. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
What I want to know is if Yellow Jackets picture is legit

It's an effective ad for whatever type of glass that is. Eek (And an indication that that particular lion might benefit from bigger portions at mealtimes.....)

RE: the sea lion. I think if the sea lion had intended harm, harm would have been done. I don't think grabbing and drowning is sea lion feeding behavior. Crocs etc. may drown terrestial prey by dragging them into the water, but sea lions eat fish and other seafood, which are notoriously hard to drown.

The kiddie - even if unlikely to have wound up having been dined on - was definitely in danger of drowning and she was lucky to have been watched and rescued.

Wild animals are not toys.

Posts: 15023 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Bet the sea lion is sunning on a rock wearing that dude's Ray Bans.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
In this episode of "Wild Animals be Wild" Roll Eyes

There is a longer clip where one of the female tourists tells the group to stop feeding the sea lion.

This is an animal that can weigh up to 700+ lbs with a mean bite. If it wants to pull you over the edge, it's going to. He was just teaching the stupid humans a lesson.

What someone really needs to do is get the long version of the clip and put it to the music from JAWs.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bet the sea lion is sunning on a rock wearing that dude's Ray Bans.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't there a saying, 'You hardly learn anything the second time a sea lion drags you in the water.' Or something like that.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
That sea lion was just playing. Unfortunately wild animals playing can be dangerous to people. Parents are to blame here. There where signs things might go bad but they just let the kid sit on the side of that dock.

Good reaction from the guy that jumped in when everyone else just stood around.

Years ago when I was a lifeguard I pulled more kids out of the water with parents right there because they didn't think there was any danger.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
I know that every single one of you would have been in the water as fast as her relative. No thought to your own safety.

I would have been the one standing there in shock.

Dang, that was scary.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paragon:
I know that every single one of you would have been in the water as fast as her relative. No thought to your own safety.

I would have been the one standing there in shock.

Dang, that was scary.

Damn straight. Those Raybans cost a lot of Georges.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post