SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Still Have Your Wisdom Teeth?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Still Have Your Wisdom Teeth? Login/Join 
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted
I was advised to have mine removed 40 years ago, and never got it done for a bunch of reasons, but mostly because I felt like it was potentially unnecessary. I decided to wait and if they became a problem have them removed to relieve pain, rather than induce pain.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Before getting braces in my early teens, I had 8 teeth removed, 4 baby & 4 permanent. Then later (~16yo, I think) I had my wisdom teeth removed.
So, contrary to popular belief, I do NOT have a big mouth. Smile

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Still have all of mine. One of them came down to replace a molar I had to get extracted. The surgeon recommended to leave them be until they cause pain. That was many years ago.

Posts: 7421 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Still have mine. Dentist always asks me if I want to have them removed, he never has a good reason other than it will make it easier for brushing/flossing. I'm keeping mine until there's an actual problem.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Yep, I still have all of mine. Every time I go to the dentist, they want to remove them. Why? I guess to bill insurance more? They've never given me problems so why would I remove them?

Posts: 13093 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Have all mine. They've never been a problem.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
My situation is somewhat similar to hudr's. Early teens had 4 permanent teeth removed to make way for braces. Then, at age 18, had my 4 Wisdom teeth removed. Genetics gave me the large teeth of one parent, along with the small jaw of the other parent.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
My dentist told me I have a big mouth Big Grin Plenty of room for all my teeth, so I still have mine.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Got three of mine, one caused an issue and was removed. Never heard a valid reason to go through that three more times. Eek

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I have my two uppers as gravity seems to guide them in the correct direction. My two lowers were removed because, gravity. That's how it was explained at the time.

I do have to use thin waxed floss as the thick non-wax stuff breaks in the tighter confines of my uppers. Otherwise I don't notice a difference.

Posts: 7348 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Nope.

All four gone, 1978.

Sodium pentathol.

They could have pulled all my teeth and most of my bones and I would have not a care in the world.

That was a crazy day, and I did some pretty wild stuff.

They should not have released me while under the influence of...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Mine were (outpatient) removed around age 19 by an oral surgeon, two were impacted.

I distinctly remember being wide awake before the drip took over, and like a switch... out.

Then waking up a few hours later as though only seconds had passed. An odd sensation.

Easy surgery, easy recovery, was home half a day later, ate regular food the next day.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I was born without wisdom teeth and certain other adult teeth. I had two baby teeth until just a couple years ago when they finally wore out. It really sucks to have very little molar chewing area. The dentist still tells me what I have is better than dentures but I am not so sure.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Nope.

All four gone, 1978.

Sodium pentathol.

They could have pulled all my teeth and most of my bones and I would have not a care in the world.

Wait a minute. 1978? Sodium pentathol?

My oral surgeon's nickname was "Ham Hands". Big guy, about 6'5", his hands were truly enormous. He was a friend of my dad's from college.
Really funny guy (or so I thought at the time...).
This sound like your guy??

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About the same as hudr, 4 baby and 4 permanent teeth removed around 8 or 9 followed by braces at 12 and then oral surgery to remove my wisdom teeth at 13 once the braces came off and the wisdom teeth started messing up what the braces fixed. Weird thing is that going to the dentist never really bothered me much that I remember.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Still have mine. Dentist always asks me if I want to have them removed, he never has a good reason other than it will make it easier for brushing/flossing. I'm keeping mine until there's an actual problem.

This is my husband's situation.

quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Mine were (outpatient) removed around age 19 by an oral surgeon, two were impacted.

I distinctly remember being wide awake before the drip took over, and like a switch... out.

Then waking up a few hours later as though only seconds had passed. An odd sensation.

Easy surgery, easy recovery, was home half a day later, ate regular food the next day.

This was my situation except for the age. I was late 30s.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Have all but one. The thing came in at an angle and got a cavity. The dentist finally said he couldn't get to it and extracted it. In the Army, the dentist said "well it's time for you wisdom teeth to come out." Then it looked at my x-rays and said "Nope." Seem the root we tangled up.still have then and never had an problems.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Short story: Nope, Navy Dentist (and a bit of a prick) yanked them out while I was in the employ of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. Wide awake, with a door jam stuffed in mu mouth.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Nope.

All four gone, 1978.

Sodium pentathol.

Funny story...Well, for me, at least.
Years ago, my friend had dental work done while under Sodium pentathol. (AKA - Truth Serum)
Well, genius had his live in girlfriend pick him up from the Dentist Office while he was ROCKED OFF HIS ASS. And he was asked a few questions by his G.F. and he unwittingly answered them rather honestly.
Next morning he woke up extremely single, windows busted out of his car, some of his things broken, others in the trash, and wondering why his GF and his other GF, and the other GF weren't answering his calls.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8335 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine got yanked when I was 16. I planned it during March Madness and spent a few days alternating between watching the games and being lit up on Percocet.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I'm a mutant - born without wisdom teeth. And wisdom generally.

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post