SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    This one hurts a bit, RIP Don Rickles
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This one hurts a bit, RIP Don Rickles Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Hockey puck.

Its one of my favorite descriptors for people.

I learned it from Mr. Rickles.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
RIP Mr. Rickles. I get a good laugh whenever I watched him.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting to me how many comics, like Rickles, were good dramatic actors.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
He and Johnathan Winters were probably the two quickest wits in entertainment. Either one of them could ad lib their way through most anything.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
RIP

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gauYtZ8S1zs

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
He and Johnathan Winters were probably the two quickest wits in entertainment. Either one of them could ad lib their way through most anything.

Jonathan Winters is in a different class for me; more like Robin Williams then old-school poke 'em in the nose standup comic such as Rickles using insults as a key instruments for his comedy.

Jonathan Winters certainly was great at ad hoc or even prop comedy. Completely different styles to me; which doesn't devalue their entertainment capacity.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
R. I. P. Certainly a legendary comedian.

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
When I was in high school he filled in as host of the Tonight Show. He was so funny. Quickly becamy one of my favories. RIP

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Watch the Dean Martin roasts i mentioned a couple weeks ago.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Remembering him mostly from my youth on shows, more than movies, this was back in the 60's.

Thanks for the laughs , Don, you were special.

I realize time moves on, and waits for no one, I am glad I grew up in his era.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Though we all knew this was coming, it doesn't lessen the sting. RIP, Don. Thanks for the laughs.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Shit Frown

My favorite comedian of all time.

God Bless Mr. Rickles.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Don as a vampire.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Just spent well over an hour on youtube watching him on Carson & the roasts. Time well spent.

RIP, sir. Death, you hockey puck.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
You knew there was not a malicious bone in his body, and that's why he could be insulting and funny. RIP

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Don was awesome. Seriously funny guy. His material that intersected with Sinatra and the Rat Pack was truly comic Gold. We'll never see the like again.

If I could transport myself back to the mid 60s to Vegas to a show at the Flamingo, with the Rat Pack with Don there.....just wow.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Jimmy Kimmel had a nice eulogy.

Clicky thingy.

"I'll drop my pants and fire a rocket!"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Jimmy Kimmel had a nice eulogy.

Clicky thingy.

Thanks for that!!!

Here is embedded version:

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember watching CPO Sharkey and laughed the whole show. I was wondering why they were playing so much of him on the satellite channels.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post