SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Governor Ducey And The Upcoming Appointment Of A US Senator From Arizona
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Governor Ducey And The Upcoming Appointment Of A US Senator From Arizona Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
As long as it’s a vote for Kavanaugh.

That's the big deal. The other thing is that there's some time left in the term. I'm hoping that these two factors are enough to prevent Ducey from settling for some kind of feel-good appointment.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
To an extent... you are both right.

No. My point was we do not "call them representatives." We call them Senators, because they are Senators.

nhtagmember may regard that as "a difference without a distinction," but call a Senator a representative to his or her face and I'm confident he'll be quickly corrected Wink

In reality though, the only difference between the two, since the 17th Amendment, is that one serves for two years and the other for six. Completely contrary to what the founders wanted.

The 17th needs to be repealed.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Gentlemen, is this going to affect either Kavanaugh's confirmation or anything else likely to be an issue in the United States Senate anytime soon?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Please not the wife or daughter!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
As long as it’s a vote for Kavanaugh.

That's the big deal. The other thing is that there's some time left in the term. I'm hoping that these two factors are enough to prevent Ducey from settling for some kind of feel-good appointment.

Whoever is appointed serves until 2020 when there will be an election to fill the remaining term to 2022.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Understood, but a period of a little over two years leading up to a Presidential election is still a very useful chunk of time. To give it away on an emotional whim (Ducey's or the voters') or a perceived temporary political advantage (for Ducey) could turn out to be a very bad decision.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
It's almost as if the two houses of congress we intended for two different functions with two different masters or something.

Right.

The states really have only themselves to blame. If you look at the history, you'll find the Senate was often non-functional for states being unable to select Senators. Finally enough people had had enough of state legislatures and governors being unable to do their fracking jobs, and took it away from them.

So now we have two houses of representatives, in a way.

And states' rights took a big hit.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Calculating Cooling
Capacity In Hell
Picture of sig239srt
posted Hide Post
Doug Ducey ideas as of lately are not what Arizona people want. He's got to go and I did not vote for him on my early ballot. McSally is a hell no because she's a flip-flopping hypocrite. Joe Arpaio, liked as Sheriff of course, but he's way too damn old now, freaking retire already. Dr. Ward is the only one to go for. The negative ads on TV for Dr. Ward has just been relentless. They're all lies about what she is about, totally pathetic. Many of us and Arizona been wanting to get rid of McCain for years. The snowbirds and much older generation in Arizona kept voting for that freaking RINO. At the end he was always the lesser of two evils. Now that he's gone I'm very worried about what's going to happen with his open seat.

Again, Screw Ducey!

Posts: 2625 | Location: AZ | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
And the media confusion begins in earnest. Did Ducey say he'd wait until after the primary to announce who he would appoint? Now he's being reported as waiting until after McCain is buried. Did he rule out appointing himself? The Arizona paper said so, but now that's apparently not necessarily so.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/...618c98d3c_story.html

Life would be so much easier if the newspapers would at least stick to one groundless rumor at a time.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:

Life would be so much easier if the newspapers would at least stick to one groundless rumor at a time.

Few things are worse than ill-informed irresponsible speculation in the press, except for ill-informed irresponsible speculation that happens to be accurate.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
CBS now says the Governor will name the replacement after the funeral.

Link

It will be a working funeral, a splendid and dignified setting in which to receive suggestions, advice, assurances given and received, under the solemn cover of grief.

Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JALLEN:
It will be a working funeral...[QUOTE]

You mean like in The Godfather? Big Grin

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://thehill.com/homenews/st...r-mccain-replacement

Now it falls to Ducey to choose McCain's successor. The first-term governor has already begun considering a list of potential replacements, according to four Republicans either familiar with Ducey's thinking or close to those who have been involved in initial discussions.

But Ducey, both conscious of McCain's status as one of the nation's most respected statesmen and war heroes and nervous about his own reelection bid this November, has squelched speculation about who might inherit McCain's seat.

Most speculation focused on three potential candidates: Maj. Gen. Michael McGuire, the director of the Arizona Department of Emergency and Military Affairs and the adjutant general of the state's Army and Air National Guards; Karrin Taylor Robson, a wealthy businesswoman whom Ducey appointed to the state Board of Regents in 2017; and Kirk Adams, a former state House Speaker who is now Ducey's chief of staff.

Several sources also pointed to former Sen. Jon Kyl (R), McCain's longtime seatmate who is now shepherding Judge Brett Kavanaugh's nomination to the Supreme Court, and former Rep. John Shadegg (R), who left Congress in 2011.

Ducey is said to be acutely aware of what Arizona's conservative activists -- those who most closely follow and approve of President Trump -- are thinking. Ducey needs those voters for his own reelection bid, and he is likely to consider his own political future, one that would benefit from a close relationship with Trump. Ducey is already close with Vice President Pence.

Those relationships mean that other potential Senate candidates once thought to be under consideration have fallen victim to political circumstance.

Cindy McCain, who may have served as a caretaker of her husband's seat, is no longer seen as a potential appointee.

Grant Woods, John McCain's first congressional chief of staff and a candidate long seen as McCain's choice to take his seat, endorsed Hillary Clinton in 2016, likely making him a nonstarter with the White House.

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
http://thehill.com/homenews/st...r-mccain-replacement

Grant Woods, John McCain's first congressional chief of staff and a candidate long seen as McCain's choice to take his seat, endorsed Hillary Clinton in 2016, likely making him a nonstarter with the White House.

Eek Eek Eek Figures McCain would want to replace himself with a Hillary supporter. Roll Eyes

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Hey, I'm just happy that Cindy McCain appears to be off of the list of potential appointees.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
President Trump has endorsed Governor Ducey for the primary tomorrow.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/...f-primary/ar-BBMwcgl

I'm not sure that there are tea leaves to be read here. Trump also reiterated his support for a couple of Florida politicians in the same string of tweets, and Ducey is expected to win the nomination tomorrow. Maybe Trump's just sorta generically making nice at a good time?

Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
quote:
President Trump has endorsed Governor Ducey for the primary tomorrow.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/...f-primary/ar-BBMwcgl

I'm not sure that there are tea leaves to be read here. Trump also reiterated his support for a couple of Florida politicians in the same string of tweets, and Ducey is expected to win the nomination tomorrow. Maybe Trump's just sorta generically making nice at a good time?

Hmm..... hopefully, Trump may have extracted a promise from Ducey to appoint a STRONG Republican for the vacant Senate seat (not one of McCain's choices) and get him/her to Washington ASAP. We need someone there immediately for the start of the Kavanaugh confirmation after Labor Day.

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Hard to say. Ducey got a lot more support in winning his primary than his Dem opponent did, and McSally regrettably beat Ward. I'd like to think Trump got concessions, but this is one case where he might've felt the need to get on the train in order to ensure that Ducey's willing to be persuaded down the road.

Oh, well, at least there were a lot more Rep votes in the Senate primaries than there were Dem votes.

See, for example, http://www.nytimes.com/interac...imary-elections.html