SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Governor Ducey And The Upcoming Appointment Of A US Senator From Arizona
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Governor Ducey And The Upcoming Appointment Of A US Senator From Arizona Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted
I've been pretty fixated on other politicians from the Land of the Grand Canyon, and recent events caught me flatfooted. Can anyone tell me about Governor Ducey of Arizona? I don't ask as to who he's likely to appoint (at this point, who knows?), but I'd like to know about things that are likely to make him jump in one direction or another. I would certainly hope he would take into account the fact that there are over four years left unexpired in the term!

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
This USA Today story has a list

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I know its legal but I don't think its right

Usually we get to vote for a Senator, they call them representatives for a reason

if he circumvents that process, we really don't have a representative, the governor has his own Senator whose done nothing to earn the position

with all that is wrong with Arizona politicians it will be very interesting to see who he picks

I am really hoping its not his wife or daughter - we need to be done with the McCains

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
There's a lot of factors in play that complicate the decision.

First, Ducey is up for re-election this year himself. So any appointment he makes has potential for political backlash. The Red for Ed movement that orchestrated the teacher's strike this spring does not hide their opposition to him.

Second, we currently have a mid-term campaign for Jeff Flake's seat in the US Senate since he is not running. The democrats have a strong candidate this year and it would not be surprising to see them win that seat. The republicans have 3 candidates on the ballot with another 2 running as write-ins. Appointing a candidate that is currently in that race would have a potential negative impact.

Third, its mid-term election season which means all of our US Representatives are running. Paul Gosar, a current US rep who is running for re-election has stated his interest in the seat. Appointing a candidate out of the US House races could also affect the balance in the house.

So yeah, the timing of this sucks. Thanks for leaving this to us John...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ There was a guy named Salmon who got mentioned who seemed pretty interesting.

Why would the governor name someone running for Flake's seat or the House? I can see nhtagmember's point, but given that the Dems may take the other seat, why not bank a solid vote for conservative justices? Besides, a solid conservative vote might win some hearts and minds by the time the seat comes up for a vote again in November of, what, 2022?

quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
This USA Today story has a list

Link

I saw that with an attribution to some Arizona newspaper or another. The story had a certain tone (the Mrs. front and center, and all of the bios looked like they were plagiarized from the candidates' websites), and that's what kind of spurred me to start this thread. There's going to be a blizzard of speculation this weekend and on from there, so I figured I'd try to tap the collective wisdom of the hive mind instead.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Why would the governor name someone running for Flake's seat or the House?

That was my point that the timing of this complicates matters.

Kelli Ward is one of the candidates in the republican primary to replace Flake. She ran against Flake in the primary 6 years ago and lost mostly due to being outspent by the establishment. She could be a potential appointee for the seat. However, doing that would have an impact on the current primary.

Couple that with the fact that Martha McSally, the current front runner in the republican primary has a PAC that has been running non-stop brutal attack ads against Ward. I could only imagine if one of them was appointed and the other elected the never ending cat fight that would go on between them.

Like I said, the timing of this now with primary elections going on really complicates matters. McCain really should've stepped down earlier and most of the current complications could've been avoided.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
Gov. Ducey will make his appointment after the primary.

He will do that to avoid getting flak for whoever he appoints from one side of his base or the other - and risking his own success in the primary.

He will also have a clear view of who is left (available) for appointment, those who have not won the primary.

I just hope it is not another McCain.

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least the primary elections are this week, so hopefully we’ll see who he’s going to appoint shortly thereafter. Whomever it is going to be, hopefully is a supporter of appointing Kavanaugh.

Posts: 684 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
My fear is if Ducey appoints McCain's wife or daughter, they would feel obliged to continue the McCain bias of opposing anything that is positive for the Trump administration.

Posts: 19564 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^ This

Confused

I believe that Ducey could flop either way on this - he has been weak on 2A issues lately, and caved to the teacher's unions. He still has a lot of Republican support, but I see him wavering lately.

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
As long as it’s a vote for Kavanaugh.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just hope it is not another McCain.

I hear there's a good chance his Senate seat will flip to red this year.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:

That was my first thought too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
How tone deaf would Ducey have to be to appoint one of McCain's family members? Could he really think that this moment in history of all times is the right time to go all dynastic with a senate seat?

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is my biggest concern. IMO appointing someone conservative, not another McCain, with ambitions to win the senate seat as a republican when the next election for it comes up would be the safest choice.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I know its legal but I don't think its right

Usually we get to vote for a Senator, they call them representatives for a reason

Actually, they don't call them "representatives" at all. They call them "Senators," and they were originally meant to be selected by state governments. The 17th Amendment changed that. (I think that was a mistake.)

Representatives are elected to the House of Representatives, and we call them "Representatives."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
^^^

a difference without a distinction

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
a difference without a distinction

To an extent... you are both right.

The House of Representatives was intended to directly represent the people of their district. Senators were intended to represent the State.... which is why their selection process was left up to the States. The 17th Amendment changed that. (I also think that was a mistake.)
Now, the only difference between the House and Senate is that Senators represent more people because there are fewer of them.

The 16th and 17th Amendments weakened the States relative to the federal government.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
To an extent... you are both right.

No. My point was we do not "call them representatives." We call them Senators, because they are Senators.

nhtagmember may regard that as "a difference without a distinction," but call a Senator a representative to his or her face and I'm confident he'll be quickly corrected Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
It's almost as if the two houses of congress we intended for two different functions with two different masters or something.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post