SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Everything good about America is right here
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Everything good about America is right here Login/Join 
Picture of Wreckless
posted
Soldier gives his Medal of Honor to the brigade he says earned it

VICENZA, Italy — The Medal of Honor has always hung heavily around Staff Sgt. Salvatore Giunta’s neck. On Wednesday, he finally got to take it off.

In a ceremony marking the 173rd Airborne Brigade’s new memorial to all the brigade’s soldiers who earned the military’s highest award, the former Subway sandwich maker unfastened the medal’s blue ribbon from his neck and handed it over to the brigade commander.

“It can’t be with me because it’s ours,” said Giunta. In 2010, for his heroic actions during an ambush in Afghanistan, became the first living man to earn the medal since the Vietnam War.

https://www.stripes.com/news/e....477085#.WWAffojyubj

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The true hero doesn't believe he is one.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

Tru' 'Dat Yo'. Brutha' be the Shiz. 'Aight.

It never ceases to amaze me how these treasures of our present and past can be, and are, so humble. Those of us who have never accomplished anything even remotely as bold, righteous, or bad-ass, are only left to wonder what makes these men what they are.

They truly are the best of us.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a heavy burden that SSGT Giunta's got there. Lotsa MOH awardees have a lot of issues handling the celebrity and notoriety that comes with the award. Some handle it better than others. As another MOH awardee and Marine Dakota Meyer said, its a reminder of the worst day of my life.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

During the "celebration" period of his receiving the CMOH, I remember him deflecting a talking head's statement about being a hero. He stated something to the effect if you want to see real hero, look to the SOF who do the violent battling everyday.

Yes, he's got big ones, but is a humble soldier. Respect.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post