SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gov. Jerry Brown Asks Trump For Fed Funds To Cleanup Storm Damage
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Gov. Jerry Brown Asks Trump For Fed Funds To Cleanup Storm Damage Login/Join 
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
So much fail here by those who don't care if people die, homes destroyed or become uninhabitable.

I agree that CA is fucked up and Jerry's little train is a waste. I think most people who were recently polled on the issue said had they know the real truth about the costs, it would be overwhelmingly a No vote. Jerry doesn't get that and most in Sacramento don't see that as any kind of conflict or will of the people issue.

Still, the people who live there are mostly conservative, don't like blue politics and will be the ones you all want to suffer the most. No one in Sacramento will suffer and the politicians won't miss a meal or lose any sleep if there is a disaster.

I'm going to cue up my, "Don't give a shit if your house is swept away by a hurricane or tornado" tears since that seems to be how this thread is trending.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Report This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Governor Brown, why don't you take a moment and tell us how you stuck your hippy foot into your gaping mouth in the '92 presidential election?

After that, you can go back to cursing the United States while simultaneously begging its government for money. Asshole

Was that the "If it's Brown flush it down, if it's yellow yet it mellow." speach?
So many hippies in California, I get them confused.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No, the brilliant dipshit said he mght consider Jessie Jackson as his VP. This was while Jackson's "Hymietown" remark was still in the public memory, and dipshit lost NY state to Bill Clinton in the primary. He had his ass handed to him IIRC.

Posts: 107498 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
The so-called sixth largest economy in the world has to come begging for some cash. Still want to leave the Union?

Let's see how much of that budget cash is earmarked for illegals.

It also appears that repairs on the massive dam - which was left falling apart after a surprise burst of heavy rainfall - were not earmarked in Governor Jerry Brown's $100 billion list of key infrastructure projects this month.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
California has plenty of "our" money to keep Illegals but when it comes to helping honest citizens in trouble, that's different.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsd1220:
The so-called sixth largest economy in the world has to come begging for some cash. Still want to leave the Union?

Let's see how much of that budget cash is earmarked for illegals.

It also appears that repairs on the massive dam - which was left falling apart after a surprise burst of heavy rainfall - were not earmarked in Governor Jerry Brown's $100 billion list of key infrastructure projects this month.

Or how much will wind up in Democrat slush funds for the next Election.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
President Trump should call a press conference and cite the Cali gov't waste and stupidity as alluded to in that article, and then at the end of the presser, say "The US Government has granted Governor Brown's request for the funds", then leave without answering any questions.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Still, the people who live there are mostly conservative, don't like blue politics and will be the ones you all want to suffer the most. No one in Sacramento will suffer and the politicians won't miss a meal or lose any sleep if there is a disaster.

It's crystal clear that the State of CA has ignored the safety of rural Californians by failing to maintain the standards of state owned property, endangering lives for decades.

In turn they have funded social causes and padded the bank accounts of billionaires in the state of CA, reaping large donations for their elections to secure a majority for one party that has control of the six largest economy in the world.

Their assertion that this is a national disaster is at best a mendacious one. Mother nature did not cause this disaster, it is the result of simple governmental negligence.

Blaming this on the higher than normal rain is typical political subterfuge. The dam was designed to handle that rain, it's levels were down, and it's safeguards installed, but not maintained.

The rain did not cause this problem and of course politicians are offering up a diversion, using those in the path of their malfeasance to advert blame from their selfish failures to act and place it on mother nature.

So do I feel for the people in the way, sure, but this is NOT a natural disaster caused by mother nature.

You could say the same for New Orleans and Katrina, build a city below sea level then act surprised when a hurricane fills the bowl up with water, however this is Californias screw up, and the rest of us shouldn't have to write the check...

Ask Elon Musk and the rest of the NorCal billionaires that use the water for $160 million.... It's chump change to them.

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
So much fail here by those who don't care if people die, homes destroyed or become uninhabitable.

I agree that CA is fucked up and Jerry's little train is a waste. I think most people who were recently polled on the issue said had they know the real truth about the costs, it would be overwhelmingly a No vote. Jerry doesn't get that and most in Sacramento don't see that as any kind of conflict or will of the people issue.

I'm going to cue up my, "Don't give a shit if your house is swept away by a hurricane or tornado" tears since that seems to be how this thread is trending.

So, if Californians don't give a shit about their neighbors, why should we. Your neighbors are some fucked up people, they don't care if fellow citizens get washed away even after knowing what would happen.

Wow.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20812 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
What the President should do is go to the dam and say that the government would fund fixing the dam and introduce Gen. Flynn as the project manager and that the state of california would not be getting the money directly but that funding would be under federal oversight Big Grin

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If the funds are withheld and there is a catstrophic failure of that dam afterwards, who will be blamed?

You know the answer

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why are you insisting that we hate ALL Californians and wish them dead? Sure, we like the idea of having the liberal left go away permanently but other than that I don't think we have advocated for the deaths of those in Oroville or elsewhere in conservative California.

We are just expressing our "CONSERVATIVE" views in a way that you don't like because it may actually affect you if what we say comes to fruition. On numerous occasions, this thread has pointed out that this situation has been caused ENTIRELY by the State of California. Not by Mother Nature, such as a hurricane or tornado is. Not by anyone in the Federal Government and certainly not by anyone here on SigForum!

Let's go back through some key facts:

Dam was built in the 1960's
In the early 2000's, groups said it needed to be redone: CALIFORNIA rejected the request.
Each year, the politicians in Sacramento push off repairing the dam that supplies its water.

Now, there is a significant risk of rupture to the dam and now CALIFORNIA wants the United States of America to pay for necessary repairs...to a dam owned by CALIFORNIA, built BY CALIFORNIANS, for use by CALIFORNIANS.

Never mind the facts like:
California goes through weather cycles that produce no rain for long periods of time and then torrential downpours that saturate the ground so fully that it is usually carried away when it drains.

California is prone to landslide/mudslides

AND oh yeah, let's forget the facts like:
CALIFORNIA controls how much water is drained off or kept at any given point. Getting greedy and holding on to too much water is likely going to bite you in the ass quite hard when snow melt and rain runoff starts taking place.

"No one in Sacramento will suffer and the politicians won't miss a meal or lose any sleep if there is a disaster."

Maybe. Maybe not. The water that Sacramento gets is largely from Lake Oroville if I am not mistaken. That means, if anything should happen, there will be a very big flood of water followed by a very long shortage of water for those in Sacramento, the San Joaquin Valley, and the surrounding areas. Also, consider that ~1/3 of the electricity for the state comes from Edward Hyatt Pump-Generating Plant.

Think real hard on that now. Millions of people will have to change the way they live. Limited water supplies and rolling blackouts will make most Californians very uncomfortable. So uncomfortable that I bet they look a little more closely at why they are in the situation they are in. Specifically, what caused it and who got them there!

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Report This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
If the funds are withheld and there is a catastrophic failure of that dam afterwards, who will be blamed?

You know the answer

More to the point: If President Trump does give them the funding and it still fails, who will be blamed?

The answer will always be Trump. No matter what the man does, it will be an uphill battle that can never be won. The problem is there are far too many people that are too stupid to realize they're stupid.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
California's budget is $ 122 Billion

162 million is .1 % of the budget

Any activity that can't solve a 0.1% problem out of a 122 Billion budget is grossly incompetent.

edit:

The 122 B is only the General Fund Expenditures

if you add the General Fund, Special Fund, and Bond Funds, the State Expenditures are budgeted at $ 179 Billion

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sdy,

Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I think each state should have a contingency fund for this sort thing. Clean up?
If any of the HOAs had street or culvert damage we would be laughed out of the city/county boardroom if we asked for assistance to clean up from a rain. Why should it be any different two or three steps up. That is what contingency funds are for to repair or clean up common areas. If I have damage to my coach(home) from the storm should I get help from the city? It is time to give all cities, counties, states notice to stand on your own and have funds for this type of issue.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Report This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I think each state should have a contingency fund for this sort thing. Clean up?
If any of the he HOAs had street or culvert damage we would be laughed out of the city/county boardroom if we asked for assistance to clean up from a rain. Why should it be any different two or three steps up. That is what contingency funds are for to repair or clean up common areas. If I have damage to my coach(home) from the storm should I get help from the city? It is time to give all cities, counties, states notice to stand on your own and have funds for this type of issues.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Report This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
quote:

As a taxpayer, I do not want my money to go to the benefit of California. If you would like to set up a charity to help these conservatives being affected by the floods move to red states, I would happily donate to that cause.

And no, I don't expect you to give a shit if my house is swept away by a hurricane or tornado. If that happened, I'd be asking neither you nor the government nor any other taxpayer for assistance.

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Monk:....
As a taxpayer, I do not want my money to go to the benefit of California. If you would like to set up a charity to help these conservatives being affected by the floods move to red states, I would happily donate to that cause.

And no, I don't expect you to give a shit if my house is swept away by a hurricane or tornado. If that happened, I'd be asking neither you nor the government nor any other taxpayer for assistance.

To hope for benevolence/charity from others is understandable, in my view, a characteristic of a desirable society. To demand benevolence/charity from others, by defacto force, is dishonorable and quite selfish.

My concern with the feds giving money to Gov Brown is that not much of the money would likely be spent on solving the storm problem; too much would be eaten up by bureaucracy or diverted to cronies.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My concern with the feds giving money to Gov Brown is that not much of the money would likely be spent on solving the storm problem; too much would be eaten up by bureaucracy or diverted to cronies.

This is my concern as well.

The leading CA politicians, with help from various academics, convinced themselves that CA's climate had changed and it would never rain again. Surprise the wet weather cycle is upon them.

Rather than do what is necessary to furnish water for the population and agriculture, CA's politicians have actually been tearing out dams.

But of course the elites and politicians will not suffer.

I expect that POTUS Trump will get emergency money to CA, and I think he should, but I hope that it will be limited and with enough strings attached to make certain it is spent on flood control.

Money is fungible and CA will I am certain continue to waste it in large quantities.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldRoger:.... Rather than do what is necessary to furnish water for the population and agriculture, CA's politicians have actually been tearing out dams.

But of course the elites and politicians will not suffer....

And the CA Delta Smelt is doing better. And that is what really matters. Wink

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post