SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gov. Jerry Brown Asks Trump For Fed Funds To Cleanup Storm Damage
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Gov. Jerry Brown Asks Trump For Fed Funds To Cleanup Storm Damage Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I thought they were leaving, now they have their hand out.

Instead of leaving we should throw them out. That would change their tune.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It is common for the feds to help states in disasters. I point out, however, that Obama routinely with held disaster aid from red states, most notably Texas. Further, CA is PISS POOR at managing their money, and should have had funds available for flooding which occurs routinely after several years of droughts. I recall the mudslides of the 70's, and floods every few years thereafter. Californians are also notoriously selfish, as are some other states, and do incredibly stupid things, like building on cliff sides, ignoring water management maintenance, etc. Historically, flooding, drought and water damage dates back to before statehood. The entire LA area should not have been built in-at least not in a huge fashion. The geography will not support that much. I won't even mention using shake roofs in construction surrounded by underbrush-the Oakland fire....ah, I gotta stop. I left the state with good reason.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
California spends over $25 BILLION on illegals, go fund yourself.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 810 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Report This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
I have conflicting feelings. It is common for the feds to provide disaster monies to states, why is this any different?

Given how much open hatred and dissent CA politicians have thrown at Trump, are they now begging their adversary? And if they don't receive the desired check, will CA then throw a hissy-fit against Trump?

And it seems CA needs, and uses, federal monies to help cover the state's excesses. If CA does get fed disaster money, I have little confidence the bulk would actually go for disaster relief. Brown has too many other holes to fill.

Here is my take on this:

Trump should do everything within his power to make those that voted for Brown to come to the realization that Brown is bad for them. If this means that they get no fed money for cleanup, then so be it. Really not our governments job anyway, regardless of where it happens. Basically, I believe President Trump should tell Brown to piss up a rope and find a way within his states budget to make things work better for Californians. Whether that means cutting welfare and healthcare for illegals or increasing taxes across the board for all Californians, or whatever else he wants to do in California...states issue, not the Fed governments.

He could actually be a governor and tighten up his budget. Hell, couldn't he setup a go-fund-me or ask for donations from foreign countries? The asshats in California are always preaching that we should give to disaster relief around the world like the Haiti earthquake, or the Indian Ocean tsunami. Celebrity requests, every silicone valley website extorting donations, and just outright pleading that we should "do the right thing and give money to help". Maybe their buddies over in Syria, Iraq, Iran, Somalia, Yemen, Libya, & Sudan can help pay for the cleanup? Perhaps, Mexican President Nieto can provide some disaster relief to his fellow country men and women?

Fuck everything about California and it's present leadership. Until you force Californians to be responsible with their own money (and actions), we should not give them any of ours! Please don't take this as any kind of attack on yourself or anyone else from California Scoutmaster, it's just how I feel about the situation.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Marine:
California spends over $25 BILLION on illegals, go fund yourself.

Hey, that's what the Wall will supposedly cost! The President should make a deal. California gives that money towards building the Wall (hey, it's pretty much the same as Mexico paying for it), and the feds will help with the storm damage. Boom.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Picture of AzMikeCFD102
posted Hide Post
#Calexit: Californians campaign to leave the United States after Trump victory

According to 2015 figures from the IMF, if California were to become independent it would be the world’s sixth-largest economy, ahead of France and India, and one place behind the United Kingdom.

"Nuts"

MAGA

NRA
Gun Owners of America

Posts: 387 | Location: Tucson, Az | Registered: August 17, 2016Report This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Trump should tell him that we're going to wait and see how this goes and he will get back to him after it's settled. (It's only 2 years away) Big Grin

The 2019 #Calexit Independence Referendum
In the Spring of 2019, Californians will go to the polls in a historic vote to decide by referendum if California should exit the Union, a #Calexit vote.

You will have this historic opportunity because the Yes California Independence Campaign will qualify a citizen’s initiative for the 2018 ballot that if passed would call for a special election for Californians to vote for or against the independence of California from the United States.

This is a very important question. It is the responsibility of this campaign to explain what a yes vote will mean for you, your family, your community, our state, our country, and our world. We have designed this website to answer many of these questions and look to you to ask more.

"As the sixth largest economy in the world, California is more economically powerful than France and has a population larger than Poland. Point by point, California compares and competes with countries, not just the 49 other states.”

In our view, the United States of America represents so many things that conflict with Californian values, and our continued statehood means California will continue subsidizing the other states to our own detriment, and to the detriment of our children.

Although charity is part of our culture, when you consider that California’s infrastructure is falling apart, our public schools are ranked among the worst in the entire country, we have the highest number of homeless persons living without shelter and other basic necessities, poverty rates remain high, income inequality continues to expand, and we must often borrow money from the future to provide services for today, now is not the time for charity.

However, this independence referendum is about more than California subsidizing other states of this country. It is about the right to self-determination and the concept of voluntary association, both of which are supported by constitutional and international law.

It is about California taking its place in the world, standing as an equal among nations. We believe in two fundamental truths: (1) California exerts a positive influence on the rest of the world, and (2) California could do more good as an independent country than it is able to do as just a U.S. state.

In 2016, the United Kingdom voted to leave the international community with their “Brexit” vote. Our “Calexit” referendum is about California joining the international community. You have a big decision to make.

http://www.yescalifornia.org/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^^That vote is meaningless. California isn't going anywhere. The United States would never let them leave.

Whiny, imbecilic fools...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
First there was Calexit, now there us Calwants?

How about since they want to run away from home, they start learning to live on their own now?

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the obvious answer is no - pay for it yourself

if he has enough money for all his sanctuary cities and moonbat social programs, he has enough money to pay for the storm damage

how much damage is the State of California doing to the country as a whole?

we're not even close to getting even

Brown - go fuck yourself

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
“We will defend everybody who ... has contributed to the well-being of our state,” Brown said in his State of the State address.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/02...leanup-storm-damage/

"Contributed to the well-being"? Is that the caveat?

Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
From olfuzzy post above:
quote:
In our view, the United States of America represents so many things that conflict with Californian values, and our continued statehood means California will continue subsidizing the other states to our own detriment, and to the detriment of our children.

Where do we sign up for our subsidy from California? How did I miss this? I want my free shit!

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
Given how much open hatred and dissent CA politicians have thrown at Trump, are they now begging their adversary? And if they don't receive the desired check, will CA then throw a hissy-fit against Trump?

If they did, how would you tell? I thought 'hissy fit' was a permanent, baseline condition for them.

And if he were to give them everything they wanted plus $10 billion, they would still hate and disrespect him, waste the money, and want more.

Most likely correct statements.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
^^^^That vote is meaningless. California isn't going anywhere.

Please don't destroy the dream!

Big Grin

How about this: Trump to Brown: "Ok, we'll send you the money if you promise to secede from the U.S."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Tell them NO.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:

......Although charity is part of our culture, when you consider that California’s infrastructure is falling apart, our public schools are ranked among the worst in the entire country, we have the highest number of homeless persons living without shelter and other basic necessities, poverty rates remain high, income inequality continues to expand, and we must often borrow money from the future to provide services for today, now is not the time for charity.

However, this independence referendum is about more than California subsidizing other states of this country. It is about the right to self-determination and the concept of voluntary association, both of which are supported by constitutional and international law.

It is about California taking its place in the world, standing as an equal among nations. We believe in two fundamental truths: (1) California exerts a positive influence on the rest of the world, and (2) California could do more good as an independent country than it is able to do as just a U.S. state.

Gov't accounting is always suspect, I am not sure CA subsidizes other states. If CA became its own nation, it would have to pick up notably more costs, such as their own Dept of Defense. As to their infrastructure falling apart, failing schools, homeless, poverty, those are a direct result of CA's policies, not in spite of such. Seems to me a Calexit would put CA on the road to Venezuela. Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
First inclination is to say hell no.
Then again $162 million spread out over 52
counties sounds like chump change.
I'd give em the money without comment.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1054 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Report This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Call your friends in Mexico!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

An earthen dam...what could go wrong?? Eek

Sigh.... So much wrong when one posts without an inkling of truth.

The dam is fine. The dam is not weak and not doing anything other than standing firm like it was designed to do.

What you are seeing on the road left side of the pic is the concrete spillway. Concrete, not earthen or dirt. Concrete. The flow of water over the spillway is such that the force has chewed through the bottom of concrete at the bottom and it's eroding the ground at the bottom of the spillway. It's highly spectacular to look at and projections are $100M to repair.

Late today an emergency spillway opened up for the first time in 48 years. It is a dirt spillway that has rocks, trees and all sorts of things that will get washed downstream. Crews worked to remove trees and rocks to minimize the impact on fish hatcheries that will be affected by the debris.

NorCal has seen a lot of rain and most reservoirs and dams are at capacity, the snowpack is well above normal.

???

Doesn't look like concrete to me, looks suspiciously like some material from with in the earth.

Nothing in your post contradicts the link he provided. What was untruthful?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
Maybe Jerry Brown can just go down to the local Home Depot and hire some workers to do the cleanup for cheap:

MY first thought exactly!

You have been feeding and caring for millions of them with tax dollars....Now make them pay some of it back with some work. Never happen.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Report This Post