SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gov. Jerry Brown Asks Trump For Fed Funds To Cleanup Storm Damage
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Gov. Jerry Brown Asks Trump For Fed Funds To Cleanup Storm Damage Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
From POTUS to Gov. Brown...Not just no, but fuck no !!! How are those sanctuary cities working out for you? Big Grin

Gov. Jerry Brown asked President Donald Trump for federal funds Friday night to clean up damage a series of deadly storms caused last month that helped end California’s long drought.

Brown is asking the White House for $162 million in federal aid to contend with storms that caused flash floods, power outages, and damage to various state-funded projects.

An “atmospheric river storm system” that unleashed days of “relentless heavy precipitation” caused the damage, the California Democrat wrote in a letter to Trump.

“The impacts associated with this series of storms were substantial and widespread, devastating much of California,” the letter reads.

Brown declared a state of emergency Jan. 23 in 49 counties of California’s 58 counties. He added three more counties to that tally Friday: Amador, Mono and Riverside.

The state’s second-largest reservoir — at nearly 100 percent capacity — is on the verge of bursting its banks after officials cut down use of the Oroville Dam out of concern the structurally weak dam could rupture.

The governor’s prickly relationship with the new commander-in-chief could hamper the funds. Their disagreements stem mostly from Trump’s temporary immigration ban and from his stance on global warming. The governor vowed to maintain California’s sanctuary state status.

“Let me be clear: We will defend everybody — every man, woman and child — who has come here for a better life and has contributed to the well-being of our state,” Brown said in his State of the State address.

Their position on global warming is just as acrimonious. He told reporters in December – before the floods – that he would work directly with other countries to strengthen some of the most stringent environmental policies in the world.

“California can make a significant contribution to advancing the cause of dealing with climate change, irrespective of what goes on in Washington,” Brown said at the time.

Brown has been working to position California, which voted for former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton by a wide margin, as the anti-Trump state ever since the real estate tycoon won the presidency.

The governor made similar comments in earlier that month when he said California would launch its own climate-reading satellites if President-elect Donald Trump pulled funding for NASA’s climate research program.

Trump returned volley this past week, calling California “out of control” and threatened to block federal funds to Brown’s state presumably because of the state’s position on illegal immigration.

The back and forth is set to the backdrop of a movement to have California secede from the U.S. So-called Calexit supporters believe they will have enough signatures to qualify for a ballot measure calling for secession.

California does appear willing to accept federal funds for infrastructural improvements, despite state officials recent belligerent attitude toward Trump and his ilk.

State officials, for instance, proposed a list of infrastructure projects on Wednesday that would require $100 billion in federal funds. Most of the projects include improving roads, bridges, levees, ports and public transportation.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/02...leanup-storm-damage/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Report This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Oh, so sorry, all our extra funds are tied up in lawyer fees with this whole immigration thing.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Report This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

An earthen dam...what could go wrong?? Eek

Check out some of these pictures:

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/...8.php#photo-12356998

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe Jerry Brown can just go down to the local Home Depot and hire some workers to do the cleanup for cheap:

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Report This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

Sigh.... So much wrong when one posts without an inkling of truth.

The dam is fine. The dam is not weak and not doing anything other than standing firm like it was designed to do.

What you are seeing on the road left side of the pic is the concrete spillway. Concrete, not earthen or dirt. Concrete. The flow of water over the spillway is such that the force has chewed through the bottom of concrete at the bottom and it's eroding the ground at the bottom of the spillway. It's highly spectacular to look at and projections are $100M to repair.

Late today an emergency spillway opened up for the first time in 48 years. It is a dirt spillway that has rocks, trees and all sorts of things that will get washed downstream. Crews worked to remove trees and rocks to minimize the impact on fish hatcheries that will be affected by the debris.

NorCal has seen a lot of rain and most reservoirs and dams are at capacity, the snowpack is well above normal.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Report This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
OK...what happens when the spillway can't handle the overflow.

Check the pipes along the spillway that are injecting water that has penetrated the earthen dam.

Recently in VA, they have upgraded a lot of the earthen dams in the mountains that catch the storm water run off and release it slowly.

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/da...ins/dam-safety-index

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
more proof that moonbeams cause more damage than storms.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Report This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe Jerry Brown can just go down to the local Home Depot and hire some workers to do the cleanup for cheap:

^^^^ Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin^^^^

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Report This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
To: Gov. Brown
NUTS!!!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Report This Post
Resident BoneCrusher
Picture of 45R
posted Hide Post
How about dumping Holder's 25K a Month retainer fee....that should save a few bucks.....

---------------------------
My Gallery

Posts: 9656 | Registered: November 26, 2002Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I have conflicting feelings. It is common for the feds to provide disaster monies to states, why is this any different?

Given how much open hatred and dissent CA politicians have thrown at Trump, are they now begging their adversary? And if they don't receive the desired check, will CA then throw a hissy-fit against Trump?

And it seems CA needs, and uses, federal monies to help cover the state's excesses. If CA does get fed disaster money, I have little confidence the bulk would actually go for disaster relief. Brown has too many other holes to fill.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
Given how much open hatred and dissent CA politicians have thrown at Trump, are they now begging their adversary? And if they don't receive the desired check, will CA then throw a hissy-fit against Trump?

If they did, how would you tell? I thought 'hissy fit' was a permanent, baseline condition for them.

Posts: 7250 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Report This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:

If they did, how would you tell? I thought 'hissy fit' was a permanent, baseline condition for them.

And if he were to give them everything they wanted plus $10 billion, they would still hate and disrespect him, waste the money, and want more.

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Learn to swim...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neGdoqsuiN8

Some say the end is near.
Some say we'll see Armageddon soon.
I certainly hope we will.
I sure could use a vacation from this

Bullshit three ring circus sideshow of freaks

Here in this hopeless fucking hole we call L.A.
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.
Any fucking time. Any fucking day.
Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay.

Fret for your figure and
Fret for your latte and
Fret for your lawsuit and
Fret for your hairpiece and
Fret for your Prozac and
Fret for your pilot and
Fret for your contract and
Fret for your car.

It's a bullshit three ring circus sideshow of freaks

Here in this hopeless fucking hole we call L.A.
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.
Any fucking time. Any fucking day.
Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay.

Some say a comet will fall from the sky.
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves.
Followed by fault lines that cannot sit still.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dip shits.

Some say the end is near.
Some say we'll see Armageddon soon.
I certainly hope we will cause
I sure could use a vacation from this

Stupid shit, silly shit, stupid shit...

One great big festering neon distraction,
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.

Learn to swim. [3x]

Mom's gonna fix it all soon.
Mom's comin' round to put it back the way it ought to be.

Learn to swim.

Fuck L Ron Hubbard and
Fuck all his clones.
Fuck all these gun-toting
Hip gangster wannabes.

Learn to swim.

Fuck retro anything.
Fuck your tattoos.
Fuck all you junkies and
Fuck your short memory.

Learn to swim.

Fuck smiley glad-hands
With hidden agendas.
Fuck these dysfunctional,
Insecure actresses.

Learn to swim.

Cause I'm praying for rain
And I'm praying for tidal waves
I wanna see the ground give way.
I wanna watch it all go down.
Mom, please flush it all away.
I wanna see it go right in and down.
I wanna watch it go right in.
Watch you flush it all away.

Time to bring it down again.
Don't just call me pessimist.
Try and read between the lines.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't
Welcome any change, my friend.

I wanna see it all come down.
Bring it down
Suck it down.
Flush it down.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I don't see this ending well for Gov. Brown.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Trump to CA: DROP DEAD

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Report This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
At least the drought they've been having is over.

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:

We have them sitting in front of many of the 7-11s around here.

And as for Ol' Moonbeam, Get screwed!

Not a damned penny! If memory serves (what there is left of it) the dump is about a TRILLION DOLLARS in debt, due to his dumb-ass policies and decisions.

The residents there elected him, let them pay for their decisions, like the rest of us have to do.

I am tired to death of having to listen to all this libtard BS and then send them money to help them clean up their messes.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

Sigh.... So much wrong when one posts without an inkling of truth.

The dam is fine. The dam is not weak and not doing anything other than standing firm like it was designed to do.

What you are seeing on the road left side of the pic is the concrete spillway. Concrete, not earthen or dirt. Concrete. The flow of water over the spillway is such that the force has chewed through the bottom of concrete at the bottom and it's eroding the ground at the bottom of the spillway. It's highly spectacular to look at and projections are $100M to repair.

Late today an emergency spillway opened up for the first time in 48 years. It is a dirt spillway that has rocks, trees and all sorts of things that will get washed downstream. Crews worked to remove trees and rocks to minimize the impact on fish hatcheries that will be affected by the debris.

NorCal has seen a lot of rain and most reservoirs and dams are at capacity, the snowpack is well above normal.

Would you like to tell this to the people up in Idaho that got killed, washed/flooded out, when that earthen dam failed?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
Fed money to CA? you mean like foreign aid?

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Report This Post