SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Des Moines IA: CCW holder kills armed robber
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Des Moines IA: CCW holder kills armed robber Login/Join 
posted
Key takeaway: "No charges will be filed against the robbery victim..."

DMPD video news release that briefly shows the handguns:

https://www.facebook.com/DMPol...6734/?type=2&theater

Article:

https://www.desmoinesregister....shooting/5790423002/

Police: Robbery suspect dead after victim shoots in self-defense

by Philip Joens
Des Moines Register
Sep 14, 2020, 12:20PM

A robbery suspect is dead after being shot by a man in self-defense, Des Moines police said Monday morning.

Around 5:48 a.m., two people were shot in the 1400 block of 13th street, Des Moines police spokesman Sgt. Paul Parizek said. The caller told police he was approached by two armed men who attempted to rob him, Parizek said in a video news release. The man shot the men in self-defense, Parizek said.

Investigators found the men were armed with handguns, approached the man and demanded that he empty his pockets, Parizek said.

The victim of the robbery was a concealed-carry permit holder, Parizek said.

One person was taken to MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center, Parizek said. The other person was taken to Iowa Methodist Medical Center, Parizek said.

A suspect died later Monday morning, Parizek said. No charges will be filed against the robbery victim, Parizek said.

This story will be updated.

Philip Joens covers breaking news for The Des Moines Register. He can be reached at 515-443-3347 at pjoens@registermedia.com or on Twitter @Philip_Joens

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Thanks for making my day!

Posts: 1768 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Key takeaway: "No charges will be filed against the robbery victim..."

Well, it's IA not IL

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is the second successful defense of life in Iowa in the last couple of weeks. I suspect the thugs are going to get the message soon, this is not an area in which to threaten folks, they will defend themselves. And with finality in both cases.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2876 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
That is the second successful defense of life in Iowa in the last couple of weeks. I suspect the thugs are going to get the message soon, this is not an area in which to threaten folks, they will defend themselves. And with finality in both cases.

Starting to sound liked Kennesaw GA was like back in the late 80's for a while, that is, until the local all gunned up.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Too bad the two perps didn't go to the morgue instead of hospitals. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of them did get his just deserves. He is now being judged by a much higher power even though he was trying to turn his...

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2876 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slightly updated article. New info:

"16-year-old Des Moines resident Liem Deng died due to the gunshot injury. The other suspect, another 16-year-old Des Moines resident, is hospitalized and expected to survive.

The two teenagers, armed with handguns, approached a small group of people and attempted to rob them, according to the news release."

Complete article:

https://www.desmoinesregister....shooting/5790423002/

Police: Robbery suspect dead after victim shoots in self-defense

by Philip Joens and Robin Opsahl
Des Moines Register
Updated 3:34PM CT Sep 14, 2020

A 16-year-old robbery suspect is dead after being shot by a man in self-defense, Des Moines police said Monday.

Around 5:48 a.m., two people were shot in the 1400 block of 13th street, Des Moines police spokesman Sgt. Paul Parizek said. The caller told police he was approached by two armed men who attempted to rob him, Parizek said in a video news release.

The man shot them in self-defense, Parizek said. 16-year-old Des Moines resident Liem Deng died due to the gunshot injury. The other suspect, another 16-year-old Des Moines resident, is hospitalized and expected to survive.

The two teenagers, armed with handguns, approached a small group of people and attempted to rob them, according to the news release.

One of the people in the group approached was a concealed-carry permit holder, Parizek said, who shot in self-defense.

DMPD determined after investigation and consulting with the Polk County Attorney’s Office that the incident was justified as an act of self-defense. No charges will be filed against the robbery victim, Parizek said.

The robbery investigation remains open.

Philip Joens covers breaking news for The Des Moines Register. He can be reached at 515-443-3347 at pjoens@registermedia.com or on Twitter @Philip_Joens.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
F'ed around and found out didn't they.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Well they did demand he empty his pockets,I can just think of their surprised look when he did. Big Grin

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
Well they did demand he empty his pockets,I can just think of their surprised look when he did. Big Grin

I wonder if Liem's final words were "Dude, you were supposed to say 'Empty your pockets, not empty your magazine.'"

Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
Be careful what you ask for, you might get it.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2057 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems like an awful chance to draw on 2 men who are holding guns on you.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
Seems like an awful chance to draw on 2 men who are holding guns on you.
quote:
The two teenagers, armed with handguns, approached a small group of people and attempted to rob them
We don't know how many were in the "small group of people" but I suspect the two thugs were focused on the 'goods' that were coming out of all those pockets rather than someone actually pulling out a gun and using it. I'm sure they were 'surprised', to say the least. Sixteen year olds in general aren't the brightest bulbs in the socket.

I hope, under Iowa law, the surviving perp can be charged with the murder of the dead perp.

Posts: 9002 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Seems like an awful chance to try robbing a group of people.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not seen any updates with new info, it's my opinion the media hates to cover a "good guy with a gun" story.

This article has no new info, but the photo (which I can't insert) shows about 24 evidence markers. Two may be for the bad guys' handguns and/or a mag, are the rest for brass??

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...ustified/ar-BB192eER

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Sure glad we live in free land, where folks can defend life and limbs and personal properties by getting rid of maggots without fear of being prosecuted and imprisoned.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have not seen any updates with new info, it's my opinion the media hates to cover a "good guy with a gun" story.

They will cover those stories reluctantly, but always refer to the criminal as "the victim"

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post