SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    In the ER this morning... Update - back home!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In the ER this morning... Update - back home! Login/Join 
posted
My stubborn self finally succumbed to the pain this AM. What started as annoying stomach pain a couple of days ago appears to be my appendix saying it's done. The morphine has taken care of the pain for now and am waiting on my CT scan. Not sure yet if they'll do surgery or try antibiotics. At this point I just know that morphine is good stuff Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MattW,

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Haha, sorry to hear that but luckily you went in. I did that and had pretty severe pain for 2 days before I drove myself in at 2AM on a Sat. With laparoscopic surgery, I was already doing a trade show, although in pain, a week after the surgery. That morphine made me sick. Make sure they give you the nausea medicine first. Praying for a swift recovery.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIG4EVA,

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
"It's good stuff Maynard"

I'm hoping you have a quick recovery.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Hope they get you straightened out, Matt.

I'm a retired nurse & I can attest to the fact that morphine is good stuff. Much more effective & safer than the new synthetic pain killers that were meant to replace it. It's dosage can be titrated to treat everything from a headache, to the most severe cancer pain imaginable.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Praying for your speedy recovery!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Get well. And yes some of the stuff they can give you is goo-o-o-d. Just remember it'll stop your breathing if you get too much. Big Grin

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Glad you finally listened to your body.

Get well soon!

Cheers~

Posts: 904 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Surgery it is! Waiting to find out what time it will be, but should be today.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
The surgery is about as routine as pulling a wisdom tooth, if everything is intact, when they go to retrieve it.
Be very sure, after surgery, to call the nurse over before you void your bladder or bowels. They may be waiting for those things to happen (and be documented) before you can be discharged Smile

Heal quick!

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
MattW

My neighbor just went through this. Was sore for a couple of weeks. Glad you caught it before any rupture. Get well soon and listen to those docs. And yes morphine can be your friend.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 81chop
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. Went through this a few years back. Went to the ER and they told me stomach flu or something. Gave me morphine and sent me home. A month later, I was out of town and got the same pain back. Got home and went to a different hospital. Told them the symptoms, and they started surgery prep right away.

Take it easy afterwards and don't lift too much too soon...I made that mistake.

Posts: 110 | Location: Central WI | Registered: March 22, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Had a Retired Colonel as an Instructor once. He said his burst and was removed in emergency surgery... with a local only... while flying on a transport plane.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Make sure you can pee before you leave. Refuse to leave before you do so. There was a time hospitals wouldn't discharge you without at least passing gas and urinating freely. Those days are gone. Anesthesia and temporary Foley catheters can be hell on your urinary system. Routinely I have patients bounce back into the ER for not being able to pee after surgery. We end up sticking a foley back in and sending them home to follow up with their surgeon or urology. I had an Indian lady just the other day who had an appendectomy and less then 36 hours later she was home not peeing. We drained 1200ml's of urine from her bladder. I'm surprised she didn't explode.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you got attention right away and hope you heal quickly. I am just out of the hospital myself--gall bladder removed. In my case there was no pain, just violent shivering and rapid pulse. Laparoscopic surgery and 10 days in hospital. That hospital definitely will NOT allow discharge until urination and defecation have occurred. Now home and pretty much working as before. Did not have any pain meds that I knew about (but can't honestly say they didn't give me something in the IV).

Get well soon!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words, I'm back home now resting up. Surgery went smooth and the little bastard is no longer part of me. Biggest challenge I have now is too keep a dog paw from saying hello while I rest on the couch Eek