SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another LEO killed in Baton Rouge tonight
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another LEO killed in Baton Rouge tonight Login/Join 
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted
One of our East Baton Rouge Parish Deputies was killed tonight.
We passed there right before it happened.

WBRZ link

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry to hear this, but I am relieved that it appears to have been in the normal course of duty. I know it probably makes little difference to his family and friends, but when I saw your thread title the first thing I thought of was a targeted killing of LEO. We certainly don't need any more of that, and frankly I don't know if we can survive more of that.

Posts: 3425 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Getting shot is the "normal course of duty?"

Shit... Guess I should rethink going to work tomorrow.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I'm very sorry to hear this, but I am relieved that it appears to have been in the normal course of duty. I know it probably makes little difference to his family and friends, but when I saw your thread title the first thing I thought of was a targeted killing of LEO. We certainly don't need any more of that, and frankly I don't know if we can survive more of that.

I just checked the job description for a senior Police Officer, and it doesn't mention getting shot..."normal course of duty"

WTF man?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Yeah, getting shot at or shot as the normal course of duty is not what I signed up for.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
EOW Deputy, prayers for you and your family tonight.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Damn, another good guy gone!

I make an effort to greet every LEO I see, and thank them for their service.

Hopefully the dirt bag that shot the deputy does not end up costing the taxpayers millions in life long support by the state.

And unless the dirt bag dies from his wounds, it will cost the taxpayers there a lifetime of support.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well that stinks. RIP.

And I'm going to Baton Rouge in May.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:

I understand what you were trying to say - but there are a lot of cops on this site, and emotions are raw. Need to be sure you choose your words carefully.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:

Guys, I don't know how I could have stated my thoughts more clearly. I did NOT say that getting shot was the normal course of duty. I said that it appeared that he was shot DURING the normal course of duty, as opposed to being targeted as a LEO.

Perhaps y'all are unaware of the LEO ambush shootings we had in Baton Rouge this summer?

I noted that it probably doesn't make any difference to his family and friends. A LEO getting shot while working is certainly tragic, but for our community it is entirely different when someone assasinates cops just because they are cops.

I have great respect for our LEO community, and I have great sympathy for this fallen officer's family, as I do for all who are killed or injured while serving. My comments were only about the circumstances, and I do think that my comments in that regard were appropriate and relevant.

Posts: 3425 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
A simple apology would have sufficed!

That is not the way your written comments came across...

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Guys, I don't know how I could have stated my thoughts more clearly. I did NOT say that getting shot was the normal course of duty. I said that it appeared that he was shot DURING the normal course of duty, as opposed to being targeted as a LEO.

Perhaps y'all are unaware of the LEO ambush shootings we had in Baton Rouge this summer?

I noted that it probably doesn't make any difference to his family and friends. A LEO getting shot while working is certainly tragic, but for our community it is entirely different when someone assasinates cops just because they are cops.

I have great respect for our LEO community, and I have great sympathy for this fallen officer's family, as I do for all who are killed or injured while serving. My comments were only about the circumstances, and I do think that my comments in that regard were appropriate and relevant.

Somethings are better left unsaid.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
my condolences

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:

I understand what you were trying to say - but there are a lot of cops on this site, and emotions are raw. Need to be sure you choose your words carefully.

Sigh...

I now regret coming to your defense.

Yes I know you didn't ask me to. (I'll save you the trouble of posting it)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
More info about the life of Sgt. Shawn Anderson.

The Advocate report

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Lou, I know what you meant, I didn't mean to make it seem like I was lashing out. Sorry for that.

We had an officer involved shooting last night. From the information I know, totally justified, but terrible, because the suspect who was shot was himself a retired police officer...

I didn't know him, but some of my friends/co workers did.

Pure speculation based upon the facts I know at this point, but it looks like suicide by cop at this point.

Been kind of a rough day and a half here.

No offense taken by your post, and no offense intended by mine.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post