SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Personal Information on the internet
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Personal Information on the internet Login/Join 
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
To give you an idea of how pervasive this information/data flow/acquisition/synchronicity has gotten-

As background- my brother was married in the early 90’s and divorced his first wife around 1995. He remarried in 1999.

Because he was traveling out of the country at the time he asked if he could send an Amazon package in his name to our house.
I said sure.

About one month after we received his package we began getting piles of junk/advertising mail addressed TO HIS FIRST WIFE.
This had never happened before. Evidently somehow our address became connected to his and her names/files. The only way this could occur is if the third-party vendor or Amazon sold our data. It’s annoying and has been a challenge to stop because the company list keeps changing and evolving.

My brother (who is in IT, naturally) laughed this off and said it couldn’t be THAT much mail. I began keeping it in a box and delivered it to his house the last time we visited. (Six months worth of her junk snail mail filled a printer paper box).

Everything now is connected… and sold.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
(my full middle name is not very common).

Do you abbreviate that or spell it out?LOL

He goes by "NO VC!!" Usually with his hands in the air.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll go you one better. My brother emigrated to Israel in 1971, got married and had two kids there around 1979. The kids NEVER had a US address. I've been getting hearing aid adverts for my brother for years, but what threw me is I started getting jury duty mail for my niece AND nephew, along with sundry junk mail.

Whoda thunk it.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post