SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Personal Information on the internet
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Personal Information on the internet Login/Join 
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Oh no. I will not be going that far. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
You could move into a new home, buy new cars, and live a new life while putting nothing in your real name. And by nothing in your real name, that means nothing. No utilities, no UPS deliveries, no license plates.....nothing. It's easier said than done.

Posts: 1884 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Most of the places I have found my personal information on have a procedure to remove it buried somewhere on the site. See if you can find a faq for the site that might list a procedure to remove your information.

Posts: 3374 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I know someone who had a minor "misunderstanding" with the po-po some years ago. It was eligible for a pardon and removal from the state records. He applied for this and received a pardon. Part of the procedure was the removal of this negative information from the state's databases. (Which are accessible online).

BUT- after he did all of this the person he was dealing with at the state level mentioned that they sold information to other databases and they could not even guess how many other sites had the info which would show up on a web search.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post
I don't know each states laws, but in FL most stuff is just out there and theres not much to be done. Not even talking about what you find while trying to research yourself just by googling. The clerk of the court is a wealth of information.

In the age of the internet most everything is out there to stay for good.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rmc85,

Posts: 2997 | Location: FL | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Once the information is out there, trying to remove it is like trying to squeeze the toothpaste back INTO the tube.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Once the information is out there, trying to remove it is like trying to squeeze the toothpaste back INTO the tube.

There is a way to put toothpaste into a tube. See here:

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
You will never get all of your information removed from the Internet.

It's like a bad tatoo.

In Cyberspace, no one can hear you scream.

The Internet... You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. You must be cautious.

But it has cookies...

Welcome to the machine.

China is Asshoe

Posts: 2270 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
There is a way to put toothpaste into a tube.
You missed a key word in my sentence. I'll try it again:

"squeeze the toothpaste *** BACK *** into the tube."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
My main concern is that is someone want to find where we live, all they need to know is our Full Name and the internet. We are required to wear our ID badge which shows our Full Name at work. So, if someone gets fixated on us and want to find us, it is easy.

Posts: 1884 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Sure, once it's out there on the internet, it's out there for good. Except you can make it harder for someone to find your information just by using a simple google search. If it's harder than that, it may not be worth their while to find your information. So if you can get a site to remove your information, you should go ahead and do it.

Posts: 3374 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
Sure, once it's out there on the internet, it's out there for good. Except you can make it harder for someone to find your information just by using a simple google search. If it's harder than that, it may not be worth their while to find your information. So if you can get a site to remove your information, you should go ahead and do it.

All of the above and... To the OP- Harden your perimeter. Explain to your loved ones that there may be a threat. Have a plan. Have contingency plans.

China is Asshoe

Posts: 2270 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
squeeze the toothpaste *** BACK *** into the tube."

Yeah I know. Just thought you might enjoy learning about the manufacturing of toothpaste. LOL I was reading a Wikipedia on a Member of Parliament and one of the jobs listed was a toothpaste packer. I thought it interesting.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I was/am in the same boat. Just beat a wrongful death lawsuit but the past few years it was easy for the family to find my address online. And the addresses of any relatives.

Moving forward, I plan on buying my next house using a trust. I will get a po box or something to use as a mailing address.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8010 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
May not be helpful in this situation, but think about polluting your online data. For example, I never had my birthplace or school listed on FB, but I then listed one 1000 miles away. Birthdate is similarly bad.

Not much, but if done constantly and continually, those looking my be diverted.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a privacy war story:
When I was working as a P.I, a landlord hired me to track down a renter who not only stiffed him for several months rent but who also sold off the appliances from the house. Most of the info the renter had given the landlord was false with the exception of her name. It was a common name, so my databases were not much help in identifying where she might have gone. So I went old school and started talking to the neighbors. All of them said the renter had a Jack Russell terrier she doted on and took with her wherever she went. The mailman told me he had often talked with the renter, confirmed the dog story and said she once told him she was considering moving back home to a small town in the south. I went back to the office and looked up the number for the county agency that registered dog licenses for the small town. I told them I had found a Jack Russell with the renters name on the collar but with an Ohio address on it. I told me them I would save them a trip to pick up the dog if they could give me the renters address. They were only too happy to help me out and even told me the renter had just licensed the dog a few days ago.
End result: Renter arrested for felony theft.
So, for those of you who want to scrub your info from the intergoogle, that's a good plan. But, if someone really wants to track you, there are lots of ways to do it.
Another hint: Never renew or update your magazine subscriptions at your new hideout!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16066 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Funny how things work.

There's someone with a name very similar to mine who's been in the news a lot lately. I tried googling myself, and couldn't find anything on me at all, because everything that came back was for the person mentioned above.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
MyLife has been telling me that there is a criminal record on me, but all I could find was an old speeding ticket that had been paid and cleared. I eventually discovered that somehow another person with the same last name had gotten associated with me (I've never met him) and he had an extensive arrest record. I think I've finally managed to convince MyLife that I am not associated with that person--I haven't heard from them in a while.

I have searched my name on the web and found a lot of persons with the same first and last name and even the same middle initial, but I have not found one with the same 3 names (my full middle name is not very common).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Even after searching mine is hard to find. But I guess years of wrong info will do that. Just start putting out wrong information.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
(my full middle name is not very common).

Do you abbreviate that or spell it out?LOL

Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
A very common solution in MANY industries is to only put first names in large letters on staff ID badges. Your last name and other info might be in very small print elsewhere on the badge.

Protects against just the type of problem the OP is having.

Might be too late for the OP in this case, but perhaps something to suggest in future?

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post