SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Personal Information on the internet
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Personal Information on the internet Login/Join 
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted
I know that public record is just that, public record. However, there are some information on the internet that are not supposed to be (or one can only hope should NOT be) on the internet. When I googled my First and Last Name, my full home address showed up. Also included are the names of my immediate relatives (wife, children, mom). Is there an agency or another internet company that we can pay to remove or block those information from the net?

I am only asking because is some line of work (LEO, attorneys, judges, prison/jail employees, mental health workers, etc.), we are exposed to some people who might take particular interest on where we live.

The thought about someone trying to find out where we live already crossed my mind in the past. However, recent interaction with someone at work raised my concern.

Is there something we can do to remove those sensitive information from the net?

Posts: 1885 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Not really. That ship has sailed years ago. If you know how to search there's not much out there that can't be found online.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15715 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Nope.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
If you know someone who knows their way around the dark web, and/or are willing to pay a hefty fee, there are people/services who can "scrub" your online presence to virtually nothing. It won't get rid of everything, but most things.

Posts: 1729 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Real estate transactions are public information, in Washington state at least. Everything is filed with the county electronically and can be accessed easily on their website.

That, at a minimum, makes privacy difficult.

There’s one particular website out there, that I don’t even really want to post (given how detailed it is), that provides way too much information. I went through the process of removing myself and family from it as they do allow for that.

Even still, there’s plenty more out there I’m sure.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Voter registration is also public. And a lot of other stuff.

Nothing that you can really do. And add in things like the Equifax mess...everything is out there.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
Every time I google my full name, I come up with a few hundred people with the same first, middle and last name. It's been anyone from ball players, movie producers to WW2 veterans. Did find myself on whitepages but it listed alot of bogus people related to me, but also listed the correct ones too.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Without sharing detailed information and violating HIPAA law, I need your suggestion. We recently had a patient who also work in my place of work. Today, he verbalized something to my co worker that raised a red flag. For some reason, he was focused on me today and stated something that raised concern to my co worker. He informed me and our charge RN. He had to file an official report. Now I am a bit worried about my safety at work and outside. Given the history of the other employee, I hope I am just over reacting.

Posts: 1885 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heard this guy on a podcast recently. They’ll teach you what to do or do it for you.
https://privacy-training.com

God, Guns, and Guts made this country....let's keep all three

Posts: 495 | Location: TX | Registered: March 09, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Those sites, like Intellius, and probably the one you're talking about have a process where you can request to have your info removed.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ador:
Without sharing detailed information and violating HIPAA law, I need your suggestion. We recently had a patient who also work in my place of work. Today, he verbalized something to my co worker that raised a red flag. For some reason, he was focused on me today and stated something that raised concern to my co worker. He informed me and our charge RN. He had to file an official report. Now I am a bit worried about my safety at work and outside. Given the history of the other employee, I hope I am just over reacting.

Have you considered getting the help of some off duty police officers? Big Grin

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Haha Ramius!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I've been told there are a shit load of me's out there. Pretty common name I have found. I'm happier with that than I used to be.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Have you considered getting the help of some off duty police officers? Big Grin
Don't let me see this from you again, Ramius.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Understood.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
How it got to this point.

(Cliff Notes)

Companies put data on computers way back.
No networks, so things were relatively safe from "anyone", except those with need to know.

Along came PCs, and parallel to that time came networking at a few universities, technology companies and the military.

BBS were also being accesses in a peer type connectivity, where individuals could contact a single computer and access all the information contained there "enumerated for access", and upload, download and run simple programs.

And the WWW happened in the universities, companies and military, where computers and networks could be connected and resources mapped, rather than the old connect, use, disconnect.

Then Someone got chocolate on Another's peanut butter....

And the Internet became commonplace as text browsing and cataloging of resources gave way to the visual system (HTML), and that brings us to this point in time.

Along the way, a lot of the information was not well secured, and two things happened.

One, people less than scrupulous, connected and downloaded or made available the who, what, where, of that data to other unscrupulous types, (and anyone who was curious and found same).

and

Two, those who were alarmed or concerned about the lack of security of systems, many of these were/are (a mix of good and bad) who would access, crack or otherwise compromise systems and weak security and then "publish" sometimes first, the to "holder" of the data, as a courtesy, and/or "Publicly" to shame and inform the "ignorant" of the issues.

You will never get all of your information removed from the Internet.

It's like a bad tatoo.

In Cyberspace, no one can hear you scream.

The Internet... You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. You must be cautious.

But it has cookies...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akcopnfbks:
If you know someone who knows their way around the dark web, and/or are willing to pay a hefty fee, there are people/services who can "scrub" your online presence to virtually nothing. It won't get rid of everything, but most things.

Do they offer a money back guarantee? What's to prevent the same information from coming "back online" later? Maybe it depends on what "online presence" means.

Posts: 4078 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I only asked my original question because I am really bothered by the amount of information I was able to find using Google. If it was just street name, then it is not a concern. But full street address with zip code?

With the background of the patients we have, and the resource available on the net, any verbal threat (direct and indirect) should not be taken lightly in my opinion. I am off from work for the next few days. I will know what happened to the report at work when I come back to the unit.

As far as the information in the internet, I guess there is really nothing can be done about that.

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
But full street address with zip code?

Which leads to a street view of your house and likely interior photos if your home was ever listed on the MLS. Satellite view with zoom to check out what is in your back yard. If you park your cars outside they may appear in some of those images.

You could move into a new home, buy new cars, and live a new life while putting nothing in your real name. And by nothing in your real name, that means nothing. No utilities, no UPS deliveries, no license plates.....nothing. It's easier said than done.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15715 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post