SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any good/bad experiences with the Nissan Rogue?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any good/bad experiences with the Nissan Rogue? Login/Join 
posted
My grad school daughter is looking for a new-used car to replace her well worn Impala. She is liking the AWD Nissan Rogue. From what I understand, it is made in USA. This particular one is a 2015 with 45,000 miles.

Anything to watch out for?

Thanks

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
I bought a 2009 model. Very good car. Ex-wife got it in the divorce. She is still driving it.

Posts: 829 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
My grad school daughter is looking for a new-used car to replace her well worn Impala. She is liking the AWD Nissan Rogue. From what I understand, it is made in USA. This particular one is a 2015 with 45,000 miles.

Anything to watch out for?

Thanks
I have nothing specific, but when I was looking for a similar vehicle recently, the owner of the independent maintenance shop that I use, advised that if I were buying a Japanese vehicle of this type, stick with Honda, Toyota, or Subaru. He said that Nissan and Mazda vehicles that came through his shop were maintenance headaches for the owners.

He must know what he's talking about, he is a big fan of the P229 in .357 SIG. Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Great car.
I would not hesitate to take mine anywhere (within reason) in the winter.

88k and going strong.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4579 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Hertz gave me one in Maui this past October. Like any Nissan SUV, it ran well and handled like a car. Cargo capacity was ample.

What I didn't like about it at all was the design of the cockpit area. There were literally no flat surfaces to sit anything on. Even the center console was curved in such a way as to be useless except for the cupholders.

That was my only gripe after four days, and it is minor.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never bought an extended warranty on a car, but am actually giving it some thought on this one. I'll be helping her buy it, but don't want her stuck with an expense during grad school. Not sure if I should do that or just set the money aside for emergency repair.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Nissans tend to start falling apart around 100k.

Hmmm... I'll have to go back and tell that to my first Sentra, which ran for 200K before I traded it in for a used Altima (43K on the odo as a fleet vehicle) which I ran for another 100K before trading up for a new 2007 Altima, which went 335K on the original engine and tranny over the 8 years I owned it.

My family also accounts for one additional Sentra, a Frontier, a Titan, and two Muranos that are apparently exceptions to your rule over the last 20 years or so.

Maybe you've just had bad luck with your Nissans.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just left a job where I had a Rouge as a company car. I am in field sale, so I drive quite a bit. I received it new, and put about 40K on it in a year and a half. Mine was the AWD version. Solid car. When I had it in the ECO mode it would get around 30 mpg.

If I were in the market for that size vehicle, I would give it a look. Seems like a good value.

Posts: 365 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Nissan dealers/shops are not as prevalent in some areas for service, unless you favor mom n pops/PepBoys.

Ditto on Subaru for reliability and longevity.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4562 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Nissan dealers/shops are not as prevalent in some areas for service, unless you favor mom n pops/PepBoys.

The place she is looking is a Nissan dealer

posted Hide Post
My wife has a 2014 that I bought 12 months ago with 17K miles on it. It's loaded. It well appointed and performs well. We have the SL AWD just because it's what I found at a good price.

My only gripe is the CVT. My wife doesn't mind it but I prefer a traditional shifting transmission.

I think the Rogue is the second best selling small SUV, right behind the Honda CRV (also with a CVT). I think most major car manufacturers are going with CVT to obtain even tighter emission and fuel efficiency standards.

I find myself beating the CVT just to get it to go, thus defeating any fuel savings.

P229

Posts: 3809 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I've had one as a rental car several times. It's what I call an incredibly average vehicle with a smattering of Nissan engineering screwups. There are far better vehicles in that category I'd look at before I ever considered a Rogue.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
We bought a used 2014 Rogue with 40K about a year ago and have been very happy with it. It is the wife's daily driver and what we take on trips.

The CVT transmission did go out on it about 3 months after we bought it. I think there was a known issue with them. The local Nissan dealership (not were we bought it at) put in a new transmission and took care of everything including a loaner car. Not a penny out of our pocket. I was impressed by how quickly they stepped up to make it right.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
A ford escape is a bit bigger, and gets maybe a mile or two less. I looked at the escape and the Rogue and got the escape due to wanting/needing the extra space

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wife has a Nissan Rogue, and we've been happy with it, but just recently had a weird issue.

I needed space in the garage and so I backed it out and shut it off.

Later that night she went to use it and it wouldn't start. It would crank and crank and crank when the start button was pressed, but wouldn't start.

I did a Google search and there were reports of a similar thing happening on other Nissan vehicles. The solution was to actually pump the gas while it was cranking. I tried it and it worked. It's started fine since.

I plan to try to recreate it before I take it in as its still under warranty, but the next day the snowpocalypse came and I haven't had the chance since.

I did call the service department and got the typical "well you'll have to bring it in" line...

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post