SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pandemic pancakes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pandemic pancakes Login/Join 
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted
Made from scratch buttermilk pancakes with fresh milled hard red wheat. Made a batch for daughter and granddaughter. Good, filling pandemic food.

Edited to rotate picture

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:
Made from scratch buttermilk pancakes...

Honestly, is there any other way?

They look tasty.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Pandemicakes? What time tomorrow? Big Grin

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Mmmm... Pancakes.

I love pancakes.

Lately, I've been digging the Kodiak Cakes pancake mix. Not quite as good as from-scratch, but much easier/quicker. They have a slew of different flavors too, if that's your thing.

And best of all, these have a good amount of protein... 21g per serving if you use the optional milk and egg. (14g with just water.) They're tasty pancakes, and it's not all just carbs and sugar.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
We love Kodiak cakes in our household...mmmmm

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Did'ja whip the separated egg whites in a copper bowl, folding them in last? Wink

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Made from scratch buttermilk pancakes...

Honestly, is there any other way?

They look tasty.

No, there is not. Just like there is no other syrup for them beyond real deal maple syrup.

I made homemade waffles for the family last night (pancakes were last week). We do breakfast for dinner pretty regularly around here.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I like pancakes. They look good.

All I did today was clean the garage. Well maybe just reorganized the mess Wink .

I may just have to bake some bread tomorrow. I just got a new Cuisinart Air fryer/toaster oven and a friend sent me a recipe for rosemary sour dough bread. I also have not made pretzel bread in a while.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Those look good. That fresh red wheat flour sounds interesting.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Balze, there is no other way!

Wife brought a box of Kodiac Cakes home but was able to talk me off the phone while I was on hold with the lawyer. Big Grin

No, I do not whip the egg whites, too much trouble.

Only use real maple syrup, no Log Cabin in this house. (And real butter too)

I use hard red wheat for the nuttier flavor. There is hard white but is is milder. The soft grains are used for cake batter and pastries.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Made from scratch buttermilk pancakes with fresh milled hard red wheat. Made a batch for daughter and granddaughter. Good, filling pandemic food.

Edited to rotate picture

Do you mind posting recipe? I am not in a need yet to break into my supply of hard wheat to grind it into a flour. To date I have only made pancakes with bisquick or some other easy method so I am curious on how to make them with just ground flour as the starting ingredient.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Be glad to StorminNormin.

3 cups of flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup oil
4 eggs
3-4 cups buttermilk

Mix dry ingredients together then add liquids. Stir until mixed. I start with 3 cups buttermilk and add more until I get the consistency I want.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Every day is a holiday ...

We got a copper bowl, whisk, and hand-lettered buttermilk pancake recipe as a wedding present. My (now deceased ex-) wife went through the steps a few dozen times during our marriage. The biggest obstacle was having buttermilk on hand when we wanted pancakes. But it sure makes all the different.

The only sweet treat in the house right now is maple syrup. I'll put it in baked beans and on oatmeal.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Oatmeal with maple syrup is my "pancake stand-in", on days when I want pancakes but don't have the time.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Be glad to StorminNormin.

3 cups of flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup oil
4 eggs
3-4 cups buttermilk

Mix dry ingredients together then add liquids. Stir until mixed. I start with 3 cups buttermilk and add more until I get the consistency I want.

Thank you sir!

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will be whipping up a batch this morning - not scratch but mix as that is all
I have handy, but any pancake is a good pancake from my perspective

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Just finish a marathon batch of pancakes, 4 one gallon ziplock bags w/16 pcakes each. One each for home, daughter, son and granddaughter.

A quick memory, Dad was in the Navy during WWll, he said they called pancakes collision mats and would hang them over the side if in danger of a collision or coming into port to protect the paint. Navy chow! Big Grin

NRA
Georgia Carry

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Mmmm... Pancakes. Lately, I've been digging the Kodiak Cakes pancake mix.
In a previous pancake thread, a while ago, everybody sang the praises of Krusteaz, so I went out and bought Krusteaz.

Now we're changing our tune? What, we don't like Krusteaz any more?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Krusteaz pancakes are too sweet, IMO.

Their mix has 4x as much sugar (11g), and has 1/5th the protein (only 4g), compared to Kodiak (3g of sugar and 21g of protein).

Kodiak pancakes are not only better for you, and taste better, but they keep you full longer.

posted Hide Post
That why the Krusteaz mix will made excellent waffles. That is my go to waffle mix.

Front sight...Front sight...Front sight...Only Hits Count.
NRA Life Member
Frank John Boy -Police Lingo

Posts: 126 | Registered: July 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post