SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Transferring a firearm to a Foreign National
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transferring a firearm to a Foreign National Login/Join 
Picture of pulicords
posted
I have a friend that lives in an EU country and he's the legal owner of quite a few rifles, pistols, and shotguns. I'd like to transfer a Ruger No. 1 (single shot rifle) to him and learned that I can do so legally via the US State Department using a "one time exception" DSP-5 export form. I think I understand what I need to fill out on the form and how to submit it for approval, but can any SF members suggest a shipper I can use that conducts these kinds of transactions frequently? Apparently, rifles are more of a hassle than shotguns and the two Customs brokers I've asked to assist have said they didn't want to bother with my situation.

Additionally, he plans on coming out here in the fall to go hunting with me (we've done this several times when I loaned him a rifle) and if there's any way to work through Dept of State and ATF to enable him to return with the rifle legally (vs paying for shipping), I'd sure like to know about it.

Please no political complaints about the situation. He's not going to change his country's laws over this, nor am I in a position to change ours. He'd like to have this particular rifle and I want to accommodate him in a lawful manner as well as expeditiously as possible. Thanks!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Additionally, he plans on coming out here in the fall to go hunting with me (we've done this several times when I loaned him a rifle) and if there's any way to work through Dept of State and ATF to enable him to return with the rifle legally (vs paying for shipping), I'd sure like to know about it.

Not being conversant with California laws, I can offer this one observation.

His export of a firearm legally transferred to him while in the United States by him will undoubtedly make the issue of exportation easier. An alien in the US on a nonimmigrant visa can purchase a rifle or shotgun in an over-the-counter-transaction at a federal firearms licensee provided they meet certain requirements spelled out in the instructions to Questions 12.d and 18.c. on the 4473.

quote:
Question 12.d. Immigration Status:
An alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa includes, among others, persons visiting the United States temporarily for business or pleasure, persons studying in the United States who maintain a residence abroad, and certain temporary foreign workers. These aliens must answer "yes" to this question and provide the additional documentation required under question 18.c. Permanent resident aliens and aliens legally admitted to the United States pursuant to either the Visa Waiver Program or to regulations otherwise exempting them from visa requirements may answer "no" to this question and are not required to submit the additional documentation under question 18.c.

Question 18.c. Exceptions to the Nonimmigrant Alien Prohibition and Acceptable Documentation:
An alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa is not prohibited from purchasing, receiving, or possessing a
firearm if the alien: (1) is in possession of a hunting license or permit lawfully issued by the Federal Government, a State or local government, or an Indian tribe federally recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, which is valid and unexpired....

So, you might want to speak with an outfitter who does expeditions for foreign nationals.

I will also poke at this question later tonight, assuming I get the chance.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31425 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:

His export of a firearm legally transferred to him while in the United States by him will undoubtedly make the issue of exportation easier. An alien in the US on a nonimmigrant visa can purchase a rifle or shotgun in an over-the-counter-transaction at a federal firearms licensee provided they meet certain requirements spelled out in the instructions to Questions 12.d and 18.c. on the 4473.

quote:
An alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa includes, among others, persons visiting the United States temporarily for business or pleasure, persons studying in the United States who maintain a residence abroad, and certain temporary foreign workers. These aliens must answer "yes" to this question and provide the additional documentation required under question 18.c. Permanent resident aliens and aliens legally admitted to the United States pursuant to either the Visa Waiver Program or to regulations otherwise exempting them from visa requirements may answer "no" to this question and are not required to submit the additional documentation under question 18.c.

Question 18.c. Exceptions to the Nonimmigrant Alien Prohibition and Acceptable Documentation:
An alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa is not prohibited from purchasing, receiving, or possessing a
firearm if the alien: (1) is in possession of a hunting license or permit lawfully issued by the Federal Government, a State or local government, or an Indian tribe federally recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, which is valid and unexpired....

So, you might want to speak with an outfitter who does expeditions for foreign nationals.

I appreciate your help and since ATF offices are closed due to the Government "Shutdown", for the time being they're not available as a resource.

CA has a mandatory ten day "waiting period" for transfers, but suppose in this case my friend happens to be stopping off for a visit with family in a "gun friendly" state (such as Texas) before our hunting trip, where I could ship the rifle to an FFL for a lawful transfer (including instant check) under the conditions indicated above? It would appear that he'd still need the State Department clearance before he'd be able to return to his country after our hunt was completed. This in mind, still recognizing that his domestic flight from TX to CA could be accomplished with the rifle by merely checking it in as "declared-unloaded firearms" as checked luggage in the usual manner.

I recognize that there are a lot of "hoops", but if we can accomplish our goal legally by going through as few of them as possible, we'll do it that way.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
quote:
quote:

quote:

I appreciate your help and since ATF offices are closed due to the Government "Shutdown", for the time being they're not available as a resource.

CA has a mandatory ten day "waiting period" for transfers, but suppose in this case my friend happens to be stopping off for a visit with family in a "gun friendly" state (such as Texas) before our hunting trip, where I could ship the rifle to an FFL for a lawful transfer (including instant check) under the conditions indicated above? It would appear that he'd still need the State Department clearance before he'd be able to return to his country after our hunt was completed. This in mind, still recognizing that his domestic flight from TX to CA could be accomplished with the rifle by merely checking it in as "declared-unloaded firearms" as checked luggage in the usual manner.

I recognize that there are a lot of "hoops", but if we can accomplish our goal legally by going through as few of them as possible, we'll do it that way.

I think your biggest hurdle is going to be finding an ffl who is willing to do the transfer. I tried to import a rifle from abroad that was a gift from a friend in Europe. All of the hoops were easy, aside from convincing any of the dealers that what I wanted was legal. Documentation from the exporting country, copies of the U.S. regulations, and letters from Customs weren’t enough to convince any of the local FFLs that they could legally import, because it wasn’t a recurring thing. In the end, the rifle sits in Europe still.

The way around this is to find an FFL who deals with this sort of importation/exportation, (there are companies who do it professionally) but it wasn’t something I was interested in as their fees far exceeded the value of the rifle.

Good luck!

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
You need to find an FFL that exports firearms, they will be able to give you the info you need.

Posts: 4098 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJexp:
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

I think your biggest hurdle is going to be finding an ffl who is willing to do the transfer. I tried to import a rifle from abroad that was a gift from a friend in Europe. All of the hoops were easy, aside from convincing any of the dealers that what I wanted was legal. Documentation from the exporting country, copies of the U.S. regulations, and letters from Customs weren’t enough to convince any of the local FFLs that they could legally import, because it wasn’t a recurring thing. In the end, the rifle sits in Europe still.

The way around this is to find an FFL who deals with this sort of importation/exportation, (there are companies who do it professionally) but it wasn’t something I was interested in as their fees far exceeded the value of the rifle.

Good luck!

I hold an 01 FFL and I'll do it just for the experience.

I think PA allows out of state purchase of long guns.

Nice is overrated

Posts: 31425 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a gun imported from Down Under by Pilkguns several years ago. Try www.pilkguns.com - they may be able to help.

Posts: 2539 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Good luck!

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/q...cense-export-firearm

Posts: 4098 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the assistance! I've located an exporter that specializes in these kinds of transfers and it looks like he'll be able to handle my needs. I'll report back afterwards and provide the info for referrals, if anyone is interested!

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
this has been an interesting thread to follow - definitely interested in the outcome

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Good luck!

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/q...cense-export-firearm

I wasn't speaking of Pullicord, I was offering to help you import the rifle that "sits still in Europe."

Nice is overrated

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wasn't speaking of Pullicord, I was offering to help you import the rifle that "sits still in Europe."

And all this time I've been under the impression that the OP wants to SEND a rifle to this guy in Europe.

tac

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
For future reference. Here a page on the BATF's site with lists of FFLs by state, month, year. If you're looking for an importer, that's a type 08 FFL.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/l...-licensees-ffls-2017

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:

And all this time I've been under the impression that the OP wants to SEND a rifle to this guy in Europe.

tac

Yes, Pullicords wants to export one.

JJexp, however, mentioned IMPORTING a rifle from Europe. My response was to him, not Pullicords.

As an 01 FFL the BATFE permits me to import guns, that are not for sale or resale, on behalf of their owners.

So, JJexp, if you still want to try to bring that rifle which "sits in Europe still", send me an email.

Nice is overrated

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:JJexp, however, mentioned IMPORTING a rifle from Europe. My response was to him, not Pullicords.

Thank you for the elucidatement, Sir.

tac

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:JJexp, however, mentioned IMPORTING a rifle from Europe. My response was to him, not Pullicords.

Thank you for the elucidatement, Sir.

tac

I hope my answer was not indecorous.

Nice is overrated

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hold an 01 FFL

So as to not derail the thread, may I email you with a question about inter-state transfers?

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
I hold an 01 FFL

So as to not derail the thread, may I email you with a question about inter-state transfers?

Sure, or just call me.

Nice is overrated

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
I hold an 01 FFL

Sure, or just call me.

Thank you. I'll plan to call you tomorrow.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post