SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is there a comfortable durable chair cushion?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a comfortable durable chair cushion? Login/Join 
posted
On the strength of their advertisements I purchased four "Egg Sitter" cushions for my wife and I. We are average size and weight. Initially they were comfortable but after several months of use they began to compress and lose a lot of their effectiveness. The BulbHead company that handles them asked me to send them back for replacement at my expense. After I returned them they informed me that they no longer sell them so I am out $120 for the purchase and $24 for shipping and have nothing. They will not return the ones I sent. They did offer a partial merchandise credit but they don't have anything else we want. After a lot of internet searching I am finding a lot of foam type cushions but the complaint on all of them seems to be loss of effectiveness after months of use. Have any of you found a good and durable cushion anywhere?

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call these guys. I had replacement seat cushions made for some chairs back in 2008 when I lived in the area and they are still the same firmness today. I did have to bring them one of the chairs as it was a custom job.

www.jacquarts.com/

Posts: 289 | Location: North Central Florida | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sewing circle ladies passed around one of those egg sitter cushions ,

Five of them did not like it, the 6th gal used it for three weeks and gave it away as well.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A year or so back my wife bought me a memory foam cushion to use in my recliner and in her SUV on trips. The intent was to help alleviate some back symptoms while traveling and my recliner is aging. It is 18" X 20" X 3" with a grey velour removable washable cover and a small grey pebbly bottom presumably to minimize movement. It has worked great! One caution do not use an ice pack on memory foam it causes it to shrink and get hard as a rock! Recovers when back to room temperature. Also accentuates the effect of a heating pad
She got it on Amazon and is made in China. Mine is called a Comfysure.
Hope this gives you another option.

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have a Wondergel (now “Purple”) seat cushion that I used on an office chair for several years and still use on my car seat for long trips. It has held up fine and other than seeming a bit unsteady when sitting on it at first, it is more comfortable than the foam-based cushions I’ve experimented with.

https://purple.com/seat-cushions

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
As suggested above, consider having firmer/newer cushions cut to fit and replace the actual chair cushions rather than putting something on top. We did this a few years ago on a sofa and chair with excellent results. Plus it looks way better!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
The BulbHead company that handles them asked me to send them back for replacement at my expense. After I returned them they informed me that they no longer sell them so I am out $120 for the purchase and $24 for shipping and have nothing. They will not return the ones I sent. They did offer a partial merchandise credit

Soooo, did I get this right? They

a) sell a product that becomes worthless after a few months of normal usage,
b) they tell you to send it back at your expense to replace it,
c) then they reneg on b) and don't replace it and
d) won't return it

If that's true, they're a poster child for crappy customer service and shoddy products.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
The BulbHead company that handles them asked me to send them back for replacement at my expense. After I returned them they informed me that they no longer sell them so I am out $120 for the purchase and $24 for shipping and have nothing. They will not return the ones I sent. They did offer a partial merchandise credit

Soooo, did I get this right? They

a) sell a product that becomes worthless after a few months of normal usage,
b) they tell you to send it back at your expense to replace it,
c) then they reneg on b) and don't replace it and
d) won't return it

If that's true, they're a poster child for crappy customer service and shoddy products.

That is accurate!

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
I've been using this memory foam one on my desk chair from Comfort 4Ever since Feburary and it doesn't feel much different than when it was new...$30 from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

During the stay-at-home, this cushion gets a lot of use every day

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Maybe the My Pillow Guy can invent a My Butt Pad.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Needed a chair cushion for an Amish rocking chair I purchased many years ago. The seat was an odd size and shape. I couldn't find anything locally that worked.

SOooo ... I bought a black exercise mat. One of those high density foamy ones and cut the mat to size and perfectly for the Amish rocker.

After a few years, I decided I didn't need the rocking chair and placed a craigslist for it. Amish rocking chair sold within a couple a days. Thing is ... when the buyer showed up to take a look, they asked that I include the custom made "cushion" I'd "fabricated" ... deal

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
I use this one on my rowing machine - < $22 shipped.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Purple makes good gel-waffle pads for chairs. I’ve been using one 7 hours a day for 5 years.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'd say the way the company handled this was more than bad customer service and borderline fraud.
Have you call the credit card company to see if there is anything they can do to get your money back or put some heat on them?

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Take your chair cushion to a local uphostery shop, tell them your problem and have them put in better more dense foam.

Lots of cushions are open cell foam, this compresses over time, eventually your butt is on the base.

As a comparison the old Harley motorcycle seats were made with super soft open cell foam, after an hour your ass was riding on the base and frame, creating hot spots. Solution was an aftermarket seat with better foam.

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post