SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is this Weed/Plant
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is this Weed/Plant Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Those look like the wild strawberries we get here in Georgia.

The box turtles love to eat them.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m still clueless as to what this is. I can't recall seeing flowers on these things.

Many berry plants don't flower their first year or two.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Using a Plant ID app and the picture in the op it comes up as a variety of buttercup as the closest match. Look at the 5th picture down here https://www.kingcounty.gov/ser...eping-buttercup.aspx at a runner of a creeping variety.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1363 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
Well, I’ve investigated every plant mentioned in this thread and none seem to be what I have. This morning I found some that had spread from the grass to some bare dirt under a hedge.

In the photo below you can see the stringers going all over the place and sending new roots down. These stringers, or vines hug the ground and can not be seen in the grass unless you get hold of one and pull it out.

In the photo below you can see that the roots are fairly shallow, but not easy to dig up.

I’m still clueless as to what this is. I can't recall seeing flowers on these things.

Good pictures. I'm fairly certain it is a type of buttercup. Probably creeping buttercup.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a photographer friend uses an app called "picture this" to assist in proper identification of plants and flowers. just a thought

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I have finally ID’d this plant. It is called “Creeping Buttercup”. Different than Buttercup. There does not seem to be a way to kill this stuff and it spreads fast. Now that I know what I’m looking at, I have large areas (large to me anyway) of this stuff. I did see where vinegar might kill it, so I’ll try some in a small area. Otherwise, it’s bring in some machinery and remove every bit of lawn in front and back and replant with real grass and that’s not going to happen.

I took this photo a few days ago after Buttercup was mentioned. The flower fit the photos I saw, but the leaves did not. That’s because Creeping Buttercup and Buttercup are two different plants.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Good pictures. I'm fairly certain it is a type of buttercup. Probably creeping buttercup.

You nailed it, but I posted my findings before I saw your post. Creeping Buttercup. Probably the only way I’ll get rid of it is to spend days on my knees digging it all out, and that’s not happening.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post