SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Current or former military ... enjoy !
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Current or former military ... enjoy ! Login/Join 
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
That is pretty funny. I got out before the proliferation of cell phones. I can only imagine.

----------------------------

Oh you have no idea... we had a private who thought he was smart. Cancelled his phone and smashed it infront of the whole platoon. He has to sign in at cq every hour on the hour after work up until midnight every day 7 days a week until he got a new cell phone. He lasted less than a week

Government issued cell phone? If not, how can you require people to have a cell phone? I am glad I got out before this fuckery ensued.

I don't know about the other services, but if you're on active duty the Army can require you to check in at their convince. Snuffy decided to make himself unreachable, so big green made sure they knew where he was at all times.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Again before cell phones - when we were on DRF-1 (two hour recall) we had to basically be either:

1. at our 'home number' continuously when not at the unit area or

2. if we were out and about - check in telephonically - we actually used pay phones to call in to the unit every hour or so - or -

3. many of us had pagers and those were alternate numbers listed by our home phone numbers.

There was a specific phone notification process: A calls B, B calls C, C calls D, etc

Everybody carried laminated 'cheat sheets' with your platoons / sections numbers on them. All the leadership PLT / CO / BN numbers; CQs and staff sections were on their too.

Of course after a couple months you memorized most of them.

Sorta funny story: went surfing (it's PT, right??) one time in Hawaii (25th Infantry Division) and missed notification. My BN XO reamed me royally. Could have done up a LOR but he had sympathy because I was usually very squared away plus it was only a training notification. But 'Missing Movement' is no joke. Not my finest hour.

----------------------------------

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sig209,

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I'm ignorant here...

This the "inactive reserve" callback?

I guess I always figured it never really happened.

They used the inactive reserves during the Gulf War. I was one of those people that just got out and received the letter to report to so and so Army post for processing and active duty. God Bless Smile

My brother was in his first year of Med School. Yep, they told him to pack his bags.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
While we were Active Duty, we had to recall everyone on 9-11. We were on pre-deployment leave but still cell phones weren't as prevalent as they are now, so lots of tracking people down.

Sucked as lots of people had flown out to leave, but had to find a way to drive back, since everything was grounded.

But as we were active duty and scheduled to deploy, there wasn't the "I'm almost out MFers!!!!".

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
That is pretty funny. I got out before the proliferation of cell phones. I can only imagine.

----------------------------

Oh you have no idea... we had a private who thought he was smart. Cancelled his phone and smashed it infront of the whole platoon. He has to sign in at cq every hour on the hour after work up until midnight every day 7 days a week until he got a new cell phone. He lasted less than a week

Government issued cell phone? If not, how can you require people to have a cell phone? I am glad I got out before this fuckery ensued.

I don't know about the other services, but if you're on active duty the Army can require you to check in at their convince. Snuffy decided to make himself unreachable, so big green made sure they knew where he was at all times.

I gotcha. Checking in makes sense and I can understand the requirement to know where you are at all times. I remember when I was a poor dumb airman living on base they would do recalls on occasion and go around banging on doors. That was before cell phones were so widespread. The OP made it sound like it was a requirement to make him own a personal cell phone. Either way, that guy sounds like an idiot.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Bumping this once incase some of the military folks on the site missed it the first time around. A have buddy who pretty much lived this video recently.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12322 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I got out (5 yrs ago) the army had gotten rid of stop loss and I think stop movement, but I could be wrong about the stop movement. Right before I got out my unit got deployment orders and offered me a little and I mean little bonus to re up and go. and since I had plans and was so close to going home I said thanks but no thanks. Then this fool tried to trick me and said "we can make you go, this is just the easy way" I promptly reminded "Sgt. douche bag" that there was no more stop loss and even if there was I would receive twice what they were offering me per pay check if i were to be stop losses. He wasn't too happy but told me to get out and I was on a plane back home within a few weeks.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Normal enlistment would (usually) be for the active duty contract period, plus the number of years to make up an 8-year total, the remainder being in IRR - for example, 3 year ADSC plus 5 years IRR. The IRR was previously not significant, meant nothing and just expired. Within the last 16 years, you'd better pay attention. BTW, for those members currently in retirement after a standard 20 year-plus hitch, you may notice in the fine print of your DD 214 in Section 18 the words "SUBJECT TO ACTIVE DUTY RECALL BY THE SECRETARY....". It does not appear to mention an expiration date.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
Normal enlistment would (usually) be for the active duty contract period, plus the number of years to make up an 8-year total, the remainder being in IRR - for example, 3 year ADSC plus 5 years IRR. The IRR was previously not significant, meant nothing and just expired. Within the last 16 years, you'd better pay attention. BTW, for those members currently in retirement after a standard 20 year-plus hitch, you may notice in the fine print of your DD 214 in Section 18 the words "SUBJECT TO ACTIVE DUTY RECALL BY THE SECRETARY....". It does not appear to mention an expiration date.

You don't retire after 20 (+) years. You transfer to the inactive reserves and are technically subject to recall. You retire at the 30 year mark.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:

You don't retire after 20 (+) years. You transfer to the inactive reserves and are technically subject to recall. You retire at the 30 year mark.

Only partially correct. First, any individual serving the requisite years may be considered "retired" (and there are a variety of "retirements" now, with changes starting in 1986), but traditionally retirement eligibility occurs following 20 years of active service credit, and it can vary by service and commissioned status. Commissioned officers of the Regular Air Force, for example, are not eligible for transfer to the Retired Reserve. SECNAV may defer retirement until age 64. Your description only applies generally to reserve officers under the age of 60, per 10 USC Section 8911. So it's complicated, but I feel I have somewhat of a notion having served in the Air Force Personnel Center for a few years as a section chief. Your mileage may vary.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It also varies by service rank and specialty as a retired 25+ year service army medical officer I am subject to recall up to age 70. I believe chaplains and jag officers are as well, with all other specialties aging out at 60.
I get an e mail and or phone call weekly asking if I might be interested in a deployment.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Now that was funny,I got out way before cell phones were invented,jet age was something new,Mats was flying the old connies.
They were no fun flying across the pacific in back facing jump seats.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post