SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Current or former military ... enjoy !
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Current or former military ... enjoy ! Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Civvies can enjoy too!

This is funny cause...it's pretty much truth:

NSFW - visual curse words written in text

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ronin1069,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is pretty funny. I got out before the proliferation of cell phones. I can only imagine.

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
There's a lot of truth right there

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
We didn't have anything better than hard lines but those conversations (at very least) went on in different fashions. Brings back some memories nonetheless. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
LOL

Delivery changes. The message? ...not so much.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed, Thanks.

Posts: 1892 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
OMG - Laughing too hard to admit.

TG - I'm at 10+yrs since retirement.

Frown

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My college room mate's father was active USAF (USAAF) from about 1939 until about 1965, and told me that when he was assigned to SAC he had to have a cord on his phone long enough to reach into the bathroom. He said it rang when he was on the throne more than once.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I'm ignorant here...

This the "inactive reserve" callback?

I guess I always figured it never really happened.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
In part of the video, he states he's on terminal leave.

Meaning he's active duty, but at the very end of his enlistment, and he's spending the last few days of leave he's accumulated, until he hits his official separation date.

Basically, the guy was on vacation and mere days from the end of his enlistment when he gets called back.

But yes, an inactive reserve callback can happen. There were more than a few guys with critical skills getting reactivated during the height of OIF/OEF.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lol

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I'm ignorant here...

They used the inactive reserves during the Gulf War. I was one of those people that just got out and received the letter to report to so and so Army post for processing and active duty. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
That's pretty good.

I was already deployed when I was stop-lossed, but there were a few of those moments in my IRR years.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I'm ignorant here...

Yeah it fucking happens....

they got me for the freaking oil spill....I was waiting for my retirement letter from Commandant HQ and was supposed to retire in Aug...my phone rang at 0730, July the FOURTH!!!. My wife comes downstairs and sees me drinking a beer and her face kinda wrinkles up, I looked at her and said, "sit down, have a drink-you are going to need it".

They got me.

Some fucking LT was put in charge of sending reserves and he chose me -even after one of the staff told him I was retiring...I found that out later-mother fucker-I'm still mad about that shit....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I'm on the train and people are looking at me like WTF!? Wink

Not only does the Army stop loss you with mere day left on your contract, but they dig deep when they have to. During the height of the OIF/OEF callups they started sending letters to IRR Soldiers telling them to find a unit, any unit, or face title 10 callup.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
So glad I have my retirement papers!

Fuck that callback noise, find some other schmuck to fix your manning screw ups!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I was on leave and driving between Los Angeles and Montana when Panama happened. We had stopped at a motel in Dubois, Idaho for the night and had turned on the news. I saw what was happening and called in, to be told that I needed to get back ASAP.

That's how it happened in the tech-less days. Wink

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

Yes.

Similar to my experience in late '83, but different.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
That is pretty funny. I got out before the proliferation of cell phones. I can only imagine.

Oh you have no idea... we had a private who thought he was smart. Cancelled his phone and smashed it infront of the whole platoon. He has to sign in at cq every hour on the hour after work up until midnight every day 7 days a week until he got a new cell phone. He lasted less than a week

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

Oh you have no idea... we had a private who thought he was smart. Cancelled his phone and smashed it infront of the whole platoon. He has to sign in at cq every hour on the hour after work up until midnight every day 7 days a week until he got a new cell phone. He lasted less than a week

Government issued cell phone? If not, how can you require people to have a cell phone? I am glad I got out before this fuckery ensued.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post