SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mini-Split A/C questions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mini-Split A/C questions Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dreamerx4:
I may have missed anyone addressing it, but you absolutely cannot vent into attic.

No problem. I just presented that as an option since the other option is to go through cinder block.

quote:
For your application I believe you would be better suited to use a window unit, or a PTAC unit.

See problem above. Trust me, I would LOVE to just throw in a window unit, but there are no windows and it's all cinder block.

Posts: 2285 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:
I may have missed anyone addressing it, but you absolutely cannot vent into attic.

No problem. I just presented that as an option since the other option is to go through cinder block.

quote:
For your application I believe you would be better suited to use a window unit, or a PTAC unit.

See problem above. Trust me, I would LOVE to just throw in a window unit, but there are no windows and it's all cinder block.

I wouldn't cut the big hole for a PTAC in a block wall, plus the mini split is quieter and more efficient.

PTAC's suck....

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2914 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
Understand your concern about cutting hole in cinder block. Little expense now will save significant monies down the road.

I am not in love with PTACs either... they are louder than split systems. Most every hotel in the US has them... Most folks turn on fan for white noise I believe.

There are millions in use at this moment, and with a little care, they will last quite awhile.

Regardless of system you choose, 10-15 years is likely lifespan, may be longer with maintenance.

window unit, $150-300
PTAC, $600-1000

Plus cost of cutting opening.

You, yourself, can swap out either in 15 minutes in future.

Mini Split? $2000-4000

Similar lifespan.

You will not be able to swap out yourself in future. Unless you get your license to recover refrigerant. :-)

Just food for thought. Good luck regardless your choice.

Do you need quiet in your garage?

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:

Plus cost of cutting opening.

Do you need quiet in your garage?

OK, I am going to at least ask. If I am going to cut a hole large enough for a window unit, I am going to go ahead and put in a window. How much would it cost to to install a standard sized window? My other windows are 35" x 59".

Maybe that costs $1,000, then I buy a fancy $500 window A/C unit and I come out ahead vs. a mini-split?

Yes, I do need it quiet to some degree, because I will be working on my computer in the garage and occasionally talking on the phone. This will essentially be my home office when I am not traveling / making client visits.

Posts: 2285 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Insulate garage door and ceiling.

Mount condenser outside for airflow.

Mitsubishi units have served well.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Yes, installing a window and putting in an a/c unit would no doubt be cheaper than a mini split. Once the window is in, just install the unit and you're good to go (assuming you have power).

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post