SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do-it-yourself oil change guys: Oil filter won't come off.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do-it-yourself oil change guys: Oil filter won't come off. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Not a filter, but I know of someone who had their oil plug come out going down the freeway. Oil was recently changed at the dealership. Eek

And yes, the dealership stood behind the repair.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having sold motorcycles for decades and having always changed my own oil most brands of vehicles use a specific size filter cup for removal. The cup fits over the filter bottom and has most often a 3/8 socket head welded to bottom of cup where you can use an extension and also a breaker bar or ratchet if the filter location is small. These cups are for sale at most auto parts or dealers.

Posts: 205 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DamageInc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by desmosedeci:
Having sold motorcycles for decades and having always changed my own oil most brands of vehicles use a specific size filter cup for removal. The cup fits over the filter bottom and has most often a 3/8 socket head welded to bottom of cup where you can use an extension and also a breaker bar or ratchet if the filter location is small. These cups are for sale at most auto parts or dealers.

The bad thing is that different brands of filters (for the same vehicle) won't always use the same cup wrench. But if you always use the same brand, it won't matter.

When a filter is really tough to remove, it's often because some dipshit didn't lube the gasket when installing, and not just from overtightening.

Posts: 3412 | Registered: June 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
This type has worked for me in the past when I did not have a proper fitting wrench.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hus...nch-HU3JFW/204762449

I have used this type before. They really work.
You can use a strap wrench also with the use of one of these.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also really like the oil filter pliers for various sized filters and hard to reach places. A lot of times they're easier to get a grip and turn and reposition in small increments over the old style filter wrench. They make smaller ones than these as well.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TEK...852758671_pkw__pmt__

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I'm not saying I missed a filter gasket stuck to mount and put second one over top. But WOW that took a lot of oil dri!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12351 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:

Second to one of the above using a K&N filter is just asking for trouble.

While I think their air filters are overrated (leave this for another time), but what's wrong with their oil filters?

I think nothing. But I've seen a motor with the K&N oil filter stuck really, really, REALLY tight. Yes, they had lubed the gasket...and used a breaker bar to crank it on. That's probably what was being pointed out.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:You mean like a standard aircraft oil filter?

Yes, but that extra tack-welded socket end drives up the cost to $19.50 at Aircraft Spruce. I don't think your average Joe is going to pay that just for the convenience of making it easier to remove.

Unless, of course, there is something amazingly different about an aircraft oil filter that drives the price up 4X. Wink

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
The Lisle 57010 Import Oil Filter Swivel Wrench arrived today. I like it! Nice tool.

Thanks for all of the recommendations.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23951 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
If they would simply put a 3/8 drive stamped into the end of filter itself it would solve all the filter wrench problems, kind of like when they went from using oil cans to plastic bottles.

I think it is K&N filters that do that..or is it Amsoil filters?

The oil filters are put on by an air driven machine at the factory...at least some factories.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
quote:
Originally posted by alreadydead:
Along the same lines of this thread; Have any of you ever heard of an oil filter coming loose and leaking when not tighten enough?
I am not talking about the double gasket failure.

Yes, a Ferrari. From a mechanic who dealt with it.

Talk about an engine locking up.

I've seen it too firsthand.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8637 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've

The pressure unscrewed the filter. Little by little until it popped out.

By the time the Ferrari hit the shop, towed, it had no oil filter.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
The Lisle 57010 Import Oil Filter Swivel Wrench arrived today. I like it! Nice tool.

Thanks for all of the recommendations.

UPDATE: The Lisle 57010 Import Oil Filter Swivel Wrench is awesome!

Reminder: Mobil 1 is on sale:
Buy 5 quarts of Mobil 1™ motor oil for $29.99, includes Mobil 1 oil filter and get a rebate:

Up to $17 off in 2017
https://mobiloil.com/en/promot...ons/fall-rebate-2017

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 23951 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
They supposed to be hand tightened with the OF seal lubed prior to install.

Even with this method, when I would DIY my Civic, it would still take a pair of pliers to remove.
Typically a long handled channel lock would do the trick.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
An old mechanic of mine told me about a trick for this. Drive a screw driver through the filter body and use it as leverage to turn the filter.

I had this issue with my RSX I got from CarMax. WAYYY over tightened the filter. I tried the screw driver trick but the filters they used were so cheap it just tore apart. I had it towed to carmax and left them a note to get the damn filter off since it's their fault the thing is on so tight. To their credit they did it and didn't charge me.

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3810 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muddle_mann:
An old mechanic of mine told me about a trick for this. Drive a screw driver through the filter body and use it as leverage to turn the filter.

I had this issue with my RSX I got from CarMax. WAYYY over tightened the filter. I tried the screw driver trick but the filters they used were so cheap it just tore apart. I had it towed to carmax and left them a note to get the damn filter off since it's their fault the thing is on so tight. To their credit they did it and didn't charge me.

Hey, I heard once that you could use a screwdriver through the body of the filter to loosen it, but then I heard that even though it works sometimes, it's risky because filter bodies aren't really made of tough stuff and you can just tear them up.

Wink

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Back around 84-85 my neighbor came over asking if I could help him with his oil change. Got under the car and discovered he had done the screwdriver trick but all that was left was the base of the filter - all else gone, filter material and sheet metal. I got a screwdriver and hammer and proceeded to get a bite on the base and turn it by tapping it off. Took about 15 min before I could spin it off.

Posts: 9003 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Stab and twist. Most any screwdriver will do.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey, I heard once that you could use a screwdriver through the body of the filter to loosen it, but then I heard that even though it works sometimes, it's risky because filter bodies aren't really made of tough stuff and you can just tear them up.

Just get the Lisle Swivel-Gripper!
It won't tear apart your filter.
It swivels, it grips... where no hand will reach!

-rduckwor

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

Just get the Lisle Swivel-Gripper!
It won't tear apart your filter.
It swivels, it grips... where no hand will reach!

It slices! It dices! It slaps and chops!!!! ...but wait, there's more!!! Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29609 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post