SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do-it-yourself oil change guys: Oil filter won't come off.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do-it-yourself oil change guys: Oil filter won't come off. Login/Join 
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
Back in the dark ages when I wrenched for a living the Hazet 2172 was king of the hill. I've seen knock-offs of this wrench but I doubt any of them has the metal tempered like the Hazet.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Hey, I heard once that you could use a screwdriver through the body of the filter to loosen it, but then I heard that even though it works sometimes, it's risky because filter bodies aren't really made of tough stuff and you can just tear them up.

Just get the Lisle Swivel-Gripper!
It won't tear apart your filter.
It swivels, it grips... where no hand will reach!

It slices! It dices! It slaps and chops!!!! ...but wait, there's more!!! Big Grin

Act now and get TWO Ginsu knives for the price of one.

Call now, before its too late. Operators are standing by.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good oil filter wrench is less than $10. If you are changing your own oil, you should have one that's the right size or not even bother.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
A good oil filter wrench is less than $10. If you are changing your own oil, you should have one that's the right size or not even bother.

Are you telling me I got ripped off????? Big Grin :

Lisle 57010 Swivel Gripper NO SLIP Filter Wrench
Our Price: $12.37

http://www.ezbore.net/Lisle-57...rench-p/lis57010.htm

Hell.... I think I've already got my $12.37 worth. It's all gravy from here on.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

Are you telling me I got ripped off????? Big Grin :

Lisle 57010 Swivel Gripper NO SLIP Filter Wrench
Our Price: $12.37

http://www.ezbore.net/Lisle-57...rench-p/lis57010.htm

Hell.... I think I've already got my $12.37 worth. It's all gravy from here on.

Yeah, there's one for $10.49 on ebay..... Big Grin

If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:

My hand fits perfect and it’s free. The filter shouldn’t be more than hand tight anyway.

Posts: 4106 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
quote:

My hand fits perfect and it’s free. The filter shouldn’t be more than hand tight anyway.

That's not true. A lot of oil filters like Caterpillars and Cummins instruct you to tighten it hand tight AND THEN 3/4 of a turn or 1 turn more. I've also seen other smaller oil filters, that even if you put oil on the gasket and only put it on by hand, be pretty stuck on there 5,000 miles later.

posted Hide Post
I had one that was so tight I had to get a small chisel and slowly hammer it into the base at an angle until the filter began to turn. But there are some cars that are so tight for space you can barely put your hand on the filter, much less swing a hammer.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3532 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Although 17 years old, here's a pretty thorough examination/analysis of over 30 of the most common oil filter brands on the market.

The K&N filter is about the same as Mobil 1, except for the nut on the end.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.n...lters/reference.html

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I'm not saying I missed a filter gasket stuck to mount and put second one over top. But WOW that took a lot of oil dri!

Good to know I'm not the only one!

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Just sell the car. It's easier.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I'm not saying I missed a filter gasket stuck to mount and put second one over top. But WOW that took a lot of oil dri!

Good to know I'm not the only one!

Ya... happened to me too.... Oil everywhere.
I had just finished and couldn't figure it out. Why was all of the new oil all over the garage floor?
Turns out that the old gasket separated from the old filter and stayed up there. Two gaskets don't make a twice tighter seal....

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Trust me Grasshopper, that filter will come off. It's just who's gonna be man enough to do it? Big Grin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I've used the same old leather belt for years

Posts: 3519 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
quote:

That's not true. A lot of oil filters like Caterpillars and Cummins instruct you to tighten it hand tight AND THEN 3/4 of a turn or 1 turn more. I've also seen other smaller oil filters, that even if you put oil on the gasket and only put it on by hand, be pretty stuck on there 5,000 miles later.

It’s true for everything I currently drive or have driven. I do have an old strap wrench to loosen them if they are tight but most of the time I do it by hand. I do all my own oil changes (and always have) and have never had one loosen. There were a couple cars where I had free oil changes and the dealerships always seem to overtighten.

Posts: 4106 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post