SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do-it-yourself oil change guys: Oil filter won't come off.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do-it-yourself oil change guys: Oil filter won't come off. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Along the same lines of this thread; Have any of you ever heard of an oil filter coming loose and leaking when not tighten enough?
I am not talking about the double gasket failure.

Make it count

Posts: 1413 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:

Second to one of the above using a K&N filter is just asking for trouble.

While I think their air filters are overrated (leave this for another time), but what's wrong with their oil filters?

Last I heard, nothing!

They used to be manufactured by Champion and are very similar to Mobil 1 filters. I've used them historically on my cars, but I've since switched to Wix or Amsoil filters.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
What kind of car? Some engines have oil filters in places where you can't get your whole hand in to turn the filter. In that case the filter needs to be tightened with a wrench, but obviously not too much. A rule of thumb is roughly three quarters of a turn after the gasket makes contact with the engine. The gasket - or the sealing surface on the engine - wants light lubrication as well. I'll also point out that your over-tightened filter just caused some inconvenience, but believe me, not nearly as much as being loose and pumping the oil out.

Posts: 27957 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alreadydead:
Along the same lines of this thread; Have any of you ever heard of an oil filter coming loose and leaking when not tighten enough?

Yes, a Ferrari. From a mechanic who dealt with it.

Talk about an engine locking up.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:
Last I heard, nothing!

They used to be manufactured by Champion and are very similar to Mobil 1 filters. I've used them historically on my cars, but I've since switched to Wix or Amsoil filters.

Who makes the Amsoil filters? The weight and build consistency are very similar to Mobil 1 filters, IMO.

I see you're in WG, I used to work there. Small internet world we live in. Big Grin

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

While I think their air filters are overrated (leave this for another time), but what's wrong with their oil filters?

Last I heard, nothing!

Some folks over oil them and get their MAF sensor gummed up.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
If they would simply put a 3/8 drive stamped into the end of filter itself it would solve all the filter wrench problems.
You mean like a standard aircraft oil filter?

quote:
Originally posed by already dead:
Have any of you ever heard of an oil filter coming loose and leaking when not tighten enough?
Again, referring to standard aircraft practices, it just takes a minute to safety-wire the filter so that it can not unscrew itself. If you want to see what I mean, I can take a photo of one later this week when I'm at the hangar.

If you look at the photo above, there are little "ears" sticking out just under the bolt-head at the top of the filter. You can't see the detail from the angle in this photo, but these ears have holes in them; that's where the safety-wire is threaded through.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Last I heard, nothing!

Point of order - we're discussing oil filters (K&N makes a good one) not air filters.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Grab it as close to the base as you can with whatever filter wrench you have. That's the strongest part of the filter. Contrary to popular belief, the screwdriver through the body is a bad idea. That's only weak sheetmetal. If space and leverage permit, a strap wrench is probably your best bet.

Double up. Exactly like above plus a proper size cap wrench.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Point of order - we're discussing oil filters (K&N makes a good one) not air filters.

Did I mention on sale? Wink

5 quarts of Castrol EDGE Full Synthetic High Mileage Motor Oil and a K&N Oil Filter after $10 Mail-In-Rebate. $22.99
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/o/motor-oil

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24116 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Last I heard, nothing!

Oh...duh. It's early.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Not trying to fan any flames, but I have to wonder, if a filter is installed incorrectly, i.e., no lube/too tight, would a tacked on hex on top of the filter actually hold and not break off while trying to remove the filter?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
If you have a vertical mount, it is smart to fill the filter with oil before installing.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
If you have a vertical mount, it is smart to fill the filter with oil before installing.

For sure and regardless of the position of the filter, at least wet the element with lube oil.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Last I heard, nothing!

That is user error and does not make it a bad product.
Nothing wrong with K&N air filters when oiled properly.
I prefer a dry media filter but have used K&Ns with good results way back in the day when performance dry media filters were less prevelant.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

For sure and regardless of the position of the filter, at least wet the element with lube oil.

Some HD engine manufacturers recommend not filling filter since they don't want unfiltered oil passing through the engine.

Posts: 7457 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, quite a long time ago. I was going into a 7/11 when I saw my neighbor outside of his Ford Ranger with a look of disgust on his face. He just change his oil and gone out for a pack of smokes. He didn't tighten the filter good enough. Leaked all the oil by the time he got to the store. Lost the engine.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
Some HD engine manufacturers recommend not filling filter since they don't want unfiltered oil passing through the engine.

When you pour clean oil into the engine, from a new bottle of oil, is it filtered? Now when you pour the same clean oil into an oil filter to prevent a dry start, is that a problem, because its "unfiltered"?

That's just nonsense. Its better to have clean oil in your filter (on a vertically mounted filter that you can pre-fill) than a dry filter. Its the same oil that is getting poured into the engine crankcase...

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
When you pour clean oil into the engine, from a new bottle of oil, is it filtered? Now when you pour the same clean oil into an oil filter to prevent a dry start, is that a problem, because its "unfiltered"?

That's just nonsense. Its better to have clean oil in your filter (on a vertically mounted filter that you can pre-fill) than a dry filter. Its the same oil that is getting poured into the engine crankcase...
Please stop being logical. Are you trying to ruin the whole thread? Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have any of you ever heard of an oil filter coming loose and leaking when not tighten enough?

Yes! Brother in law, plumber, service van. Had oil change at a local shop. He has a gravel drive and didn't notice it leaking until the low oil pressure light came on. He topped it off. Again, in a day or two it was low again. He was busy and ran it a couple days more, he was adding a quart or more a day in it until he could return to the shop and have it checked. Filter was loose.
Just to be safe they replaced the filter and steam cleaned the undercarriage.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post