SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do-it-yourself oil change guys: Oil filter won't come off.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do-it-yourself oil change guys: Oil filter won't come off. Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
If your tradional strap wrench is just a bit to big, you could try putting a 'shim' of sorts under the strap as you put it on. Something that has a little bite to it would be best, grippy like rubber or so.

With some it may be a pain to get the strap wrench in position. Once there, it should get it off O.K..

That's actually great advice. I can't believe I've never actually done that! Seriously would have saved me some time and money.

Usually being under the car, I expect things to always go a certain way. Tool should fit, if not, wrong tool.

Thank you sir.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
If they would simply put a 3/8 drive stamped into the end of filter itself it would solve all the filter wrench problems, kind of like when they went from using oil cans to plastic bottles.

K&N has a bolt head on the end so one can just use a standard socket.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
This type has worked for me in the past when I did not have a proper fitting wrench.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hus...nch-HU3JFW/204762449

Yep me two I have a large one and a small one for the bike filter. Not sure mine is a Huskey but it's the same type.

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
K&N has a bolt head on the end so one can just use a standard socket.

I did just put one of those on my daughters car.

Great deal right now:

5 quarts of Castrol EDGE Full Synthetic High Mileage Motor Oil and a K&N Oil Filter after $10 Mail-In-Rebate.
$22.99
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/o/motor-oil

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Not my first choice, but I have never had the screwdriver trick fail, and I have had to resort to it several times.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This type has worked for me in the past when I did not have a proper fitting wrench.

The above tool used with a bent handle, flex head ratchet should be the solution.
Snap-On also has it.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Reason # 8 why I always do all of the oil changes for my cars.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:

The above tool used with a bent handle, flex head ratchet should be the solution.
Snap-On also has it.

Several others have recommended this type wrench and I whole heartedly agree. I got mine at Sears (Craftsman) and I've gotten filters off for neighbors who had some quick change place attempt to make their filter a permanent installation.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:
Based on your recommendations I just bought one of these: Lisle 57010 Import Oil Filter Swivel Wrench $11.16 shipped.

The problem is... I don't want to wait a week for it to get here.
So.... I was going to go up to Home Depot for the Husky Universal 3-Jaw Oil Filter Wrench

But...
I stopped into my local Valvoline Instant Oil change (my Dad goes there all the time and I'm an occasional customer as well) and explained the situation. When I told them that I was in the middle of my own oil change the guy asked "Is there oil in the car now?" Eek Yes, of course, I said. "We have to ask," he said. Big Grin

Anyway, "No problem, pull it on in" they said and in 30 seconds my problem was solved. They loosened it to hand tight. They were very nice about it. No charge. I'd go there again and I know my Dad will soon.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
UPDATE:
Based on your recommendations I just bought one of these: Lisle 57010 Import Oil Filter Swivel Wrench $11.16 shipped.

The problem is... I don't want to wait a week for it to get here.
So.... I was going to go up to Home Depot for the Husky Universal 3-Jaw Oil Filter Wrench
But...
I stopped into my local Valvoline Instant Oil change (my Dad goes there all the time and I'm an occasional customer as well) and explained the situation. When I told them that I was in the middle of my own oil change the guy asked "Is there oil in the car now?" Eek
Yes, of course, I said. We have to ask. Big Grin
Anyway, "No problem, pull it on in" they said and in 30 seconds my problem was solved. They loosened it to hand tight. They were very nice about it. No charge. I'd go there again and I know my Dad will soon.

I see that Walmart will check your oil now before starting a oil change. Seems too many people were bring in cars with engines shot and trying to get Walmart to buy new ones.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Yes, I could see some clown doing that and trying to blame them....

-rduckwor

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

First oil change since I've owned this car.
I've got the old oil filter out and a new Mobil 1 filter is spun up and hand tight. Smile

-rduckwor

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

First oil change since I've owned this car.
I've got the old oil filter out and a new Mobil 1 filter is spun up and hand tight. Smile

I use Mobil One oil and Mobil One filters, and an end cap filter wrench. Do it myself, and just hand tighten, then quarter turn with the filter wrench on the new filter..

But in the past, many times looked for some dynamite.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need to get the proper sized filter wrench as close to the base as possible.....if you cannot get it off with the filter wrench, put the filter wrench on, then poke a long shafted phillips just behind the filter wrench through the filter and use both to remove it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First get the right tool, problem solved.
Second to one of the above using a K&N filter is just asking for trouble.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Lisle makes a very nice 10 piece oil filter cap wrench. Comes in a red box. I have had mine for years and they are great, especially for filters in tight spots, looking at you, Honda and Toyota. Big Grin

You use a 3/8" drive with it.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
First get the right tool, problem solved.

Care to expound on your claim??

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Ive done at least 1000 oil changes in my life. Every tool in this thread I have tried, and every one of them have slipped on extremely tight filters. Especially the 3 prong one above, its junk on a TIGHT filter.

The tool that every oil changer NEEDS in their box is this. The Lisle 63600 oil filter tool is without a doubt the best designed, most powerful oil filter tool on the market that I have found. It has NEVER once failed to remove a tight filter. I can HIGHLY recommend this tool. Mine is over 20 years old, and in perfect condition. I use it all the time, and it is the ONLY oil filter wrench I have to grab, as it adjusts to most sizes that are on cars these days. They also have a larger version for trucks and older cars, but I rarely if ever have to grab that one.

Don't ever stab a screwdriver through an oil filter. Ive seen guys rip the sheet metal and have nothing left but the base of the filter, which is a BEAR to remove.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-6...r-Tool/dp/B0002SR4Q8

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Ive done at least 1000 oil changes in my life. Every tool in this thread I have tried, and every one of them have slipped on extremely tight filters. Especially the 3 prong one above, its junk on a TIGHT filter.

The tool that every oil changer NEEDS in their box is this. The Lisle 63600 oil filter tool is without a doubt the best designed, most powerful oil filter tool on the market that I have found. It has NEVER once failed to remove a tight filter. I can HIGHLY recommend this tool. Mine is over 20 years old, and in perfect condition. I use it all the time, and it is the ONLY oil filter wrench I have to grab, as it adjusts to most sizes that are on cars these days. They also have a larger version for trucks and older cars, but I rarely if ever have to grab that one.

Don't ever stab a screwdriver through an oil filter. Ive seen guys rip the sheet metal and have nothing left but the base of the filter, which is a BEAR to remove.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-6...r-Tool/dp/B0002SR4Q8

I'm going to have to pick up one of those.

A couple weekends ago I was instructing my fiancee's son with his first oil change on his car (he's helped me with his mom's several times, but this was the first time he'd done nearly everything himself) and his filter was on really tight. Not enough room for the swivel wrench. I happened to have a cheap nylon strap that I used - which ended up crushing the canister before it loosened up.

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:

While I think their air filters are overrated (leave this for another time), but what's wrong with their oil filters?

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post