SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Navy vets, IronMen, Stroke survivors, or anyone who wants a feel good story, step inside...(Update with news story)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Navy vets, IronMen, Stroke survivors, or anyone who wants a feel good story, step inside...(Update with news story) Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
I met Todd while attending a motivational speech with Eric McElvenny, a former Marine who was training to become the world's fastest amputee IronMan.

At the time, I knew Todd had suffered a stroke, but I had no idea what he went through.

Todd is a 52y/o Navy vet, a 10 time IronMan finisher, and has completed well over 100 marathons. While vacationing in Aruba, Todd suffered a heart attack while scuba diving. Due to the seriousness of the situation, they had to perform surgery. It did not go well, and Todd had to take a LifeFlight to the US. The medical team tried to reverse the procedure, and this is when Todd's life changed.

Todd suffered a Brain Stem Stroke, and entered into "Locked In Syndrome". Basically he was completely paralyzed. What's unique about Todd's story is not only did he survive the stroke, he "unlocked". I don't have the exact numbers but something like 95% of those who are "locked in", never unlock, in fact, most die.

Todd has a long road to recovery, but the man does not know what quit means. He is literally back on his feet, and training to compete in triathlons again.

We have a local 4th of July 5K run, and Todd will be running it this year. Another friend, my son, and myself will be running alongside him. I am truly honored to be a part of this event.

His wife made a short video of Todd's situation. It is very difficult to watch, but it shows how unbreakable the human sprit can be. I guarantee your screen will get fuzzy at times.

https://youtu.be/GzTzvvHZGl8

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ASKSmith,

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
http://www.wtae.com/article/lo...fter-stroke/10255019

Link shows a video made yesterday, we are being told we might have a news crew at the finish line.

Local veteran plans to complete Brentwood Firecracker 5K with friend after stroke
Just after qualifying to his ninth Boston Marathon in June 2015, Todd McIntyre suffered a stroke and a rare disorder called locked-in syndrome – a complete paralysis of almost all voluntary muscles.

PITTSBURGH —
Todd McIntyre, a local Veteran, had run 35 marathons and 75 triathlons in his lifetime.
Just after qualifying to his ninth Boston Marathon in June 2015, he suffered a stroke and a rare disorder called locked-in syndrome – a complete paralysis of almost all voluntary muscles.

His initial prognosis was grim, but his family held onto hope. After three and a half months, he became alert.

Ever since, he’s been working up to a paratriathlon he completed in June.
On Tuesday, he plans to finish the annual Brentwood Firecracker 5K with two of his friends.

Eventually, McIntyre wants to work his way back to run the Pittsburgh half-marathon and then the full marathon.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I was very inspired by Todd's story and both videos were really inspiring. I too have been hospitalised 4 times for strokes. I used to be a varsity athlete at the Univ of Michigan, and now, I can barely walk 2 city blocks. Therefore, I am very inspired by Todd's example. Thank you AKS, for posting his videos.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post