SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Re thinking the organ donation path
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re thinking the organ donation path Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
As for donation, they are welcome to harvest mine, I just want my organs to go to a Democrat. I'm sure they'll feel conflicted the rest of their life.
It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry sustains a wound requiring a blood transfusion, and he receives three pints of Kramer's blood. Jerry becomes upset, saying that he can feel Kramer's blood borrowing stuff from his blood. He becomes even more distraught when Kramer deems him a blood brother.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23101 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
For some real perspective:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...e_o04_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Stiff

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
I don't want to be kept alive on a ventilator until some docs are ready to harvest my organs. Let me pass peacefully.

I would also rather my wife have time with me after I pass for her closure rather than docs rushing her out of the room.

I hope I live long and pass in the comfort of my home, not in a hospital.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JSB3:
Cornelia's hahaha

Didn't he host Soul Train?

Posts: 912 | Location: Tucker, Ga. | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I opt for no.

You're laying on a table in the ICU - and you've had a bad day. Borderline critical. It's lifesaving measures, or half hearted measures to begin.

One attendant says, "We better get on this if he's going to have a chance".

Next attendant says, "Let's not bust our backs on this one. He's a donor. That kid in 214 really needs a (fill in the blank).

I quit giving blood decades ago because of the scumbaggery that goes on with the blood collection services. You give your blood for free, they turn around and screen it, then sell it to hospitals for several hundred a pint for more common varieties and even thousands for rare types. They are making mint off of gullible guilt ridden people who, no matter how much blood they've donated - will be paying thousands if they ever need any. It's a racket.

I'm getting furnaced and scattered. The system will have made plenty money off of me alive. I'll be damned if they are going to when I expire.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I'm going to be transported to the University of Toledo's medical college when I check out. They can work on me for up to 2 years then cremate the remains. If the family wants the ashes they can have them. If not the university will inter. I believe it was $80 to set it up. My family will be responsible for whatever transportation is needed. Doing some good and way less financially wasteful than a funeral and cemetery plot.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
If I find myself in need of an organ I'm not sure I give a good shit if the hospital makes money on the process.

I sure as hell don't care if the gun store is making money on my purchase or trade in nor do I care that the mechanic is making money on my tune up.

Is there some difference I'm not seeing?

I don't have a problem with the hospital or Dr. making money, I just feel the donors family should make money too. Why not?
Every body else in the entire process is cashing in except the donor.

Sorry about the auto correct fail - CORNEAS-- better now?

It's called ORGAN DONOR, it's a DONATION. You never get money if you're donating something.

If you want to make money, just fly to Mexico and they'll pay you for them!!!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
If I find myself in need of an organ I'm not sure I give a good shit if the hospital makes money on the process.

I sure as hell don't care if the gun store is making money on my purchase or trade in nor do I care that the mechanic is making money on my tune up.

Is there some difference I'm not seeing?

I don't have a problem with the hospital or Dr. making money, I just feel the donors family should make money too. Why not?
Every body else in the entire process is cashing in except the donor.

Sorry about the auto correct fail - CORNEAS-- better now?

It's called ORGAN DONOR, it's a DONATION. You never get money if you're donating something.

If you want to make money, just fly to Mexico and they'll pay you for them!!!

Yep. Who cares about the finacials of it or the problems with the system. Do something good if you wish, if not, don't.

I personally don't care who makes what off my parts, if I can save a seven year old in death, one more check in the box for the heaven column in my mind. I always strive to do good in my life, want to do the same in death if possible.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aclS1pGHp8o&t=141s

What I always think about when I see "Organ Donor" on my DL.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I am an organ donor. It's not like I'll be using them after I'm gone. And maybe, just maybe, I'll help save someone else's life in the process.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
If they can use an organ for transplant, my body for research, or to train new doctors, I am for it. I will have no use for it once dead. I genuinely do not care.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
NSFW

As a funeral director, we absolutely DETESTED organ donations. In Maryland, not only can they take long bones (tib/fib, etc), but they will take skin off the chest, abdomen, back, legs and arms for burn victims.

While this sounds really noble, for us it was a nightmare to fix up. First, the skin will not stop leaking, causing clothing and casket interior to be wet. No matter how tight you sew them up, they leak from there too. Basically when they are done, it is skin on skin with a heavy cardboard tube in between to give it "shape"

Also, if they take organs from the body cavity, then you have to embalm each limb and head separately, adding more work.

So, if you are considering this, then have your ass cremated afterwards and save me some heartache.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1727 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I quit giving blood decades ago because of the scumbaggery that goes on with the blood collection services. You give your blood for free, they turn around and screen it, then sell it to hospitals for several hundred a pint for more common varieties and even thousands for rare types. They are making mint off of gullible guilt ridden people who, no matter how much blood they've donated - will be paying thousands if they ever need any. It's a racket.

How the fuck do you MENSA members guess that they fund the blood banks? You donate blood, they collect that blood, they screen that blood, they fraction that blood into red cells, plasma, clotting fractions, platelets, they store that blood, they deliver that blood, they keep records of every donor , all donations, all fractions of that donor's blood. That costs a lot of money. True you donated, but they worked to make that donation into something more than just blood.

Do you think people work for zilch in the blood banking industry because its noble?

Of course they charge hospitals for blood. That's how they cover the costs of operating the blood bank that provided the 18 units of blood that saved that little kid who was hit by a car and had a stellate fracture of his liver. Maybe one day, that might be someone you care about.

And the funeral director: Yes, we know that donation makes your job more difficult. We appreciate the fact that most of you simply get on with what must be done to preserve a family's memories of their loved one. And we thank you for that effort.

Think a little about the five, six or more families whom the donation impacted. Maybe some of them won't be needing your services for a while longer as a result of some family's decision to donate and help others. Maybe a kid gets donated bone that helps correct his or her scoliosis. Maybe a Mom get a cornea transplant and see clearly now.

There are no free lunches boys and girls. Everything has a price.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Keeping the body farm in mind.

I kinda want to rot in in the elements, the way nature intended.

Dust to dust, ashes to ashes.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigCity:
NSFW

As a funeral director, we absolutely DETESTED organ donations. In Maryland, not only can they take long bones (tib/fib, etc), but they will take skin off the chest, abdomen, back, legs and arms for burn victims.

While this sounds really noble, for us it was a nightmare to fix up. First, the skin will not stop leaking, causing clothing and casket interior to be wet. No matter how tight you sew them up, they leak from there too. Basically when they are done, it is skin on skin with a heavy cardboard tube in between to give it "shape"

Also, if they take organs from the body cavity, then you have to embalm each limb and head separately, adding more work.

So, if you are considering this, then have your ass cremated afterwards and save me some heartache.

If the family wants, can't you just embalm them and seal them up in the casket? You don't have to do that other work unless they want an open casket, do you?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:

How the fuck do you MENSA members guess that they fund the blood banks? You donate blood, they collect that blood, they screen that blood, they fraction that blood into red cells, plasma, clotting fractions, platelets, they store that blood, they deliver that blood, they keep records of every donor , all donations, all fractions of that donor's blood. That costs a lot of money. True you donated, but they worked to make that donation into something more than just blood.

Do you think people work for zilch in the blood banking industry because its noble?

Of course they charge hospitals for blood. That's how they cover the costs of operating the blood bank that provided the 18 units of blood that saved that little kid who was hit by a car and had a stellate fracture of his liver. Maybe one day, that might be someone you care about.

And the funeral director: Yes, we know that donation makes your job more difficult. We appreciate the fact that most of you simply get on with what must be done to preserve a family's memories of their loved one. And we thank you for that effort.

Think a little about the five, six or more families whom the donation impacted. Maybe some of them won't be needing your services for a while longer as a result of some family's decision to donate and help others. Maybe a kid gets donated bone that helps correct his or her scoliosis. Maybe a Mom get a cornea transplant and see clearly now.

RMD

And, recall that whole blood can't be sold by the original owner (plasma can). Maybe the lege should repeal that rule and allow the sale of blood.

Note that I said "maybe." That might cause more problems than it solves. Clearly the law wants to protect people from selling a kidney, or 3 pints in a day, raising a child to sell his blood, body snatching, and other horrors.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BillyBonesNY:
Keeping the body farm in mind.

I kinda want to rot in in the elements, the way nature intended.

Dust to dust, ashes to ashes.

Buzzards gotta eat. Same as worms.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigCity:
NSFW

off topic, but that is the most interesting post I think I have ever seen on SF.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:

RMD

And, recall that whole blood can't be sold by the original owner (plasma can). Maybe the lege should repeal that rule and allow the sale of blood.

Note that I said "maybe." That might cause more problems than it solves. Clearly the law wants to protect people from selling a kidney, or 3 pints in a day, raising a child to sell his blood, body snatching, and other horrors.

My mom runs a blood bank. Most people that would be willing to sell their blood (rather than donate it) wouldn't be eligible to give blood in the first place.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
i've recinded my organ donor approval...i'd never support a family member being used this way. they feel pain folks. they cut and the donor is held down by drugs that keep them still and they feel & react to the pain as the organs are removed.

no thanks

bob

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post