SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Re thinking the organ donation path
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re thinking the organ donation path Login/Join 
posted
How many organ donors do we have here ?

How does it work for visitation purposes?

will the place you choose to donate too , pay for your transport ? up to 100 miles?

I am considering donation very late in life , do they need old people junk?

I am considering the University of Iowa Hospitals and clinics in Iowa City

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I was good with organ donation until one day in graduate school when I saw a stack of boxes in the hall outside a research lab in our building and found out what was in them. No thanks.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
You could donate your entire body to be used by medical students for training. I think that would contribute to a significant number of future patients down the road.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm into recycling. Even if they want to dissect parts for training students, at least it's of some use. Recycle!

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I checked the box on the drivers license. If they want em, up to them to come get em.

I should have "Not this one " tattooed above the right kidney.... it produced all the stones. Big Grin

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
I was good with organ donation until one day in graduate school when I saw a stack of boxes in the hall outside a research lab in our building and found out what was in them. No thanks.

and what was in them?

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
Isn't there a difference?
For organ donation, I did not think you could pick and choose which facility receives your parts, it is all through UNOS or whatever that group is.
But, if you donate your body to science for research purposes you may be able to specify that you prefer to go to wherever if your cadaver meets their criteria.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Donate your body to science Red Face

Posts: 12576 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I look at donating my organs/body as having two potential benefits:

1. Research material and/or organ transplants;

2. Wife doesn't have to pay for cremation/funeral/other disposal of my remains.

When you go to a cemetery, you see a memorial or marker of some sort. Whether or not there's a pile of rotting meat below it is irrelevant IMHO.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I look at donating my organs/body as having two potential benefits:

1. Research material and/or organ transplants;

2. Wife doesn't have to pay for cremation/funeral/other disposal of my remains.

When you go to a cemetery, you see a memorial or marker of some sort. Whether or not there's a pile of rotting meat below it is irrelevant IMHO.
and remember it likely isn't rotting, after being embalmed and all that.

What a waste, IMO.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
How does it work for visitation purposes?

? I think you can visit your organs right up till harvest time. Wink

On a serious side, I can't see any downside and have checked the box. Will leave it to survivors/institutions whether what's there at the time is of any use other than as comic relief. The waiting list for some would-be organ donor recipients is such that even parts that I may have worn out the warranty on might save someone.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

I am considering donation very late in life , do they need old people junk?

Go for it! Our scientists are always looking for alien tissue. Razz Big Grin

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I do not give permission for organ donation on my drivers license.
My decision is somewhat selfish.
I'm tired of the medical community constantly begging for free stuff, labor from volunteers, blood donation, organ donation, money, etc.
It seems that the medical community makes money hand over fist on all this stuff. If you need blood they don't give it to you, if you need a organ they don't give it to you, etc. The DR does not give you his time and the hospital doesn't give you there services.

If a dollar value was placed on different organs for donation, and my family or who ever I choose would receive that money, they could part me out, no problem. I'm sure the organ donation shortage would end if people or there family's received money, like a life insurance payout, with strict control of course.

Any body know the going rate for organs?

Another reason I'm turned off of donation, A friend died years ago. His family did not know he died till a hospital called and asked for his Cornelia's. It's MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, for the medical community. All I see is Hospital after hospital expanding and swallowing up the smaller hospitals.

Makes me NOT want to give them any thing!

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
hospital called and asked for his Cornelia's

We never covered that part in anatomy class.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I'm considering ancient Egyptian mummification because hell, they coulda been right and I'll need those organs in the afterlife. I can't find anyone willing to go through with my final wishes. Frown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
Cornelia's hahaha

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:
hospital called and asked for his Cornelia's

We never covered that part in anatomy class.

It's probably an autocorrect error. I'm sure he meant his "Sweet Cordellia Browns". Smile

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Donate your body to science Red Face

THE BODY FARM..... FLASH_VIDEO]

What is wrong with that? Or being dissected by grad students? I'm not Egyptian, I don't need my body for anything. I rather donate organs to help the living, but this also helps the living too. I'd hate to be left not know how/why/when a loved one died or lacking the scientific evidence to convict their murderer. If your loved one was killed you'd want to know when they were killed and have scientific evidence that may be used to convict the killer too I'm guessing. The sniffer thing may be really promising.

PS my buddy's band was called Body Farm.

quote:
Originally posted by armored:

If a dollar value was placed on different organs for donation, and my family or who ever I choose would receive that money, they could part me out, no problem. I'm sure the organ donation shortage would end if people or there family's received money, like a life insurance payout, with strict control of course.

Interesting concept, I think it be a good idea. Super healthy guy dies young, super rich guy wants his organs. He may be able to replace the income he's never going to be able to provide since he's dead. Kids still get to go to college, stay in their home, not be poor, etc.

I think there would be ethical questions which is stupid, the rich always have better access to medical care. If I want my body parted out I should be able to. Until then I'll just give my parts away.

Recycling = Good.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
If I find myself in need of an organ I'm not sure I give a good shit if the hospital makes money on the process.

I sure as hell don't care if the gun store is making money on my purchase or trade in nor do I care that the mechanic is making money on my tune up.

Is there some difference I'm not seeing?

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
If I find myself in need of an organ I'm not sure I give a good shit if the hospital makes money on the process.

I sure as hell don't care if the gun store is making money on my purchase or trade in nor do I care that the mechanic is making money on my tune up.

Is there some difference I'm not seeing?

I don't have a problem with the hospital or Dr. making money, I just feel the donors family should make money too. Why not?
Every body else in the entire process is cashing in except the donor.

Sorry about the auto correct fail - CORNEAS-- better now?

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post