SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jehovah's Witness Question - Holiday Card for my Boss
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jehovah's Witness Question - Holiday Card for my Boss Login/Join 
Banned
posted
So my boss is a Jehovah's Witness. He told me this around Thanksgiving. Mentioned he doesn't celebrate holidays.

I just sent him an email asking for his address (he works remotely) 'for holiday card purposes.'

Did i put my foot in my mouth? Is it in bad taste to send him a card?

if so, how do i retract tastefully?

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
My parents were Jehovah's Witnesses when I was growing up. They are used to dealing with confusion and misunderstanding around the holidays, and most realize you're just trying to be nice. Don't worry about sending him one, and just mention the goof sometime only if you feel the need.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motorheadjohn:
My parents were Jehovah's Witnesses when I was growing up. They are used to dealing with confusion and misunderstanding around the holidays, and most realize you're just trying to be nice. Don't worry about sending him one, and just mention the goof sometime only if you feel the need.

So correct not to send him one, right?

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Now you've got to throw a party and use the address to send him an invite for cover.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
quote:
Originally posted by motorheadjohn:

Yep. I wouldn't send him one. Especially since he knows you know he is one. He's not just a stranger to you.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19657 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Send him one of those "Just Because" cards instead. Big Grin

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Send him a "get well soon" card

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yep. I wouldn't send him one.

^^This.^^
He doesn't want one, don't send it.
Don't get him anything for his birthday either. (at least according to a JW I used to work with)

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Anyone who professes to be a Christian, and who takes offense to the kind gesture of a Christmas card, is not a Christian.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Yep...Jehovah's Witnesses do not involve themselves in "worldly holidays", especially Christmas...

It has not always been so...this photo shows that they did celebrate Christmas back in the day...the guy identified as #1 was the current WBTS President "Judge" Rutherford...pretty much a hard nosed/hard drinking control freak who decided "no Christmas for you"...#2 is Nathan Knorr who took over when Rutherford croaked from a bad liver in 1941 (he was hand picked by Rutherford to continue his heavy handed practices)...#3 is Fred Franz (as much time as he and #4 Henchel (lawyer) spent in Germany in the 1930s I wouldn't be surprised they were NAZIs) who took over when Knorr died...

The reason for this little history lesson is the fact that in the early 80s I became good friends with Raymond Franz, the nephew of #3, who was kicked out of the "Governing Body" AKA "Yes Men" by Uncle Fred because he raised questions about the teachings and rules...yes, celebrating holidays was one of those things questioned...

Ray and his wife Cynthia were booted out of the Jehovah's Witnesses pretty much penny less and through the kindness of strangers and ex-Witneses in and around Alabama and Georgia, they were able to build a small house on some donated land out in the country in Douglas County, GA off I-20...at this little house Cynthia, in her 60s, had her first pet, a dog and her first Christmas tree...she was like a little kid, having something we take for granted, for the first time in her life...Ray and Cynthia Franz are gone now, but they had some good years enjoying a good and satisfying life, celebrating holidays and spoiling dogs and cats...

You don't want to share this with your boss...but now you will at least know that at one time Jehovah's Witnesses did indeed celebrate Christmas and a good man was kicked out of the "club" for trying to make changes...today's Witnesses have no idea of their history.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
More confirmation in my choice to never send holiday or birthday cards, to anyone, ever - regardless of their religion or desire to receive one.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
My brother is a Jehovah's Witness. They don't celebrate the "usual holidays" not birthdays and I never talk about or send him a Christmas card. He would rather have gifts given to his children at any time of the year but not holidays. I might not agree with him on what he believes, but I respect his right to worship the way he chooses.

As for them being Nazi's, no way. They were put in concentration camps and told if they denied their faith, they would be released, none did.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My grandfather was a Jehovah's Witness, but I never knew much about his beliefs because the rest of the family rejected them and followed other practices. My understanding is that they not only do not celebrate Christmas or birthdays, they also do not recite the Pledge of Allegiance or honor the National Anthem and Flag (all elements of secular society, not God's). Although I support their right to follow their religious beliefs, I do not seek to associate with any.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Please accept my apologies for the NAZI reference in my post...it had nothing to add to the OP's question...that being said...when I made the statement that Witnesses, especially today's Witnesses, have no grasp on their history, I meant that. The German question from their 1934 Yearbook was one that could not reconcile with when I was a young man...

If anyone has a question concerning this feel free to email me.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:

Right. It shouldn't offend him, but he doesn't expect or want one. Don't bother sending him one.

Bisley, thanks for posting. You are correct many JWs do not know that history. I don't remember the context but I remember seeing that same picture when I was a kid. It was explained to us that in the early days they celebrated many of the traditional holidays, but through study and research concluded most holidays had as much or more pagan religion influence than biblical foundation and were eventually not celebrated any more.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I have several family members who are Witnesses including my grandmother and a few uncles aunts and cousins. They do celebrate wedding anniversaries and have taking a drink on occasion. They will not accept blood transfusions, and encourage disassociation from non-Witnesses. They are only supposed to wed Witnesses. No offense but growing up being dragged to their "Kingdom Halls" and seeing their cultlike behavior really got under my skin. I'm sure there are some nice folks that are Witnesses but I have little willingness to talk when they come to my door recruiting. The most recent visit had me inviting them to my Methodist church to learn about Christ and the Bible to which she replied she was already an expert in religion and had no interest.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
My Friend/coworker is a witness, they think Xmas is a Pagan holiday, we always joke that he has to do Xmas call coverage because he is a non Christian believer so he's actually the Pagan. All in good fun. Worst case is he will send you a pamphlet back explaining their religion.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post