SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    UAL did something right this time: Woman Denied Emotional Support Peacock On United Flight
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UAL did something right this time: Woman Denied Emotional Support Peacock On United Flight Login/Join 
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
In the last year, the emotional support craze has hit my apartments too. My apartments are no pets allowed, but I get a dozen calls from people who say I have to take their dog as a service animal. When I ask for certs, they say I cannot ask because I’m breaking the law.

I usually remind them that presenting an animal as a service animal when it is not is illegal, and they’ll need to provide the certs anyway when I’m defending myself in court. I also remind them that the animal cannot be in the apartment alone, you know, because service animals must be with you to provide service. That usually eliminates the fakers.

In the end, I find a better applicant who isn’t trying to pass off a 4-month-old puppy as an ESD.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go United!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...mals-0202-story.html

United tightens rules for emotional support animals

by Lauren Zumbach Contact Reporter
Chicago Tribune
Feb 1, 2018

United Airlines announced Thursday that it is joining Delta Air Lines in tightening rules for passengers flying with emotional support animals, requiring proof of an animal’s health and a promise of good behavior before allowing it in the cabin.

Federal laws require airlines to permit passengers with disabilities to travel with service and emotional support animals in the cabin, though airlines can require a statement from a licensed mental health professional documenting the passenger’s need for an emotional support animal.

Both service and support animals fly in the cabin for free, unlike household pets, for which United charges a $125 fee.

But emotional support animals don’t always have the specialized training service animals receive, and airlines said that as support animals’ numbers have grown, so have problems with misbehavior and disturbances.

United carried 76,000 emotional support animals in 2017, up nearly 77 percent from the year before, and noted a significant increase in incidents involving the animals on board its aircraft, spokesman Charles Hobart said.

The Chicago-based airline said the new rules are designed to “better balance protecting our employees and customers while accommodating passengers with disabilities.”

Starting March 1, United customers who want to fly with an emotional support animal will need to confirm that the animal has been trained to behave properly in public and acknowledge their responsibility for the animal’s conduct, in addition to the usual 48 hours’ notice and letter from a mental health professional.

Passengers also will need to provide a health and vaccination form signed by a veterinarian, along with the veterinarian’s assurance there is no reason to think the animal will threaten the health and safety of others on board or cause a significant disruption.

The airline is not changing any rules concerning trained service animals, which don’t require advance documentation or notice unless the passenger is traveling to a foreign country with additional regulations.

Editorial: Delta's smart move to bar phony support animals »

United’s announcement came shortly after the airline’s decision to bar an emotional support peacock named Dexter from a flight leaving Newark last week put the airline in the spotlight.

The timing was a coincidence, Hobart said. United already had been working on the new policy, and Dexter wouldn’t have been allowed to fly as an emotional support animal under United’s existing rules for reasons including his size, something United had told his owner before they arrived at the airport, he said.

“It further illustrates the need for change, and the need to revise and enhance our existing policies so customers are certain what they can bring on board and for the overall safety and comfort of everyone on board the aircraft,” Hobart said.

Airlines can refuse service or support snakes, reptiles, ferrets, rodents, sugar gliders and spiders, along with animals that are too large or heavy, pose a threat to health or safety, or would disrupt service. United said Thursday it also excludes hedgehogs, insects, nonhousehold birds, exotic animals and any animals that aren’t properly cleaned or carry a foul odor.

United’s new regulations are similar to those Delta announced earlier this month, which also take effect March 1. Delta also will require veterinary health records for trained service animals.

Delta said it carries nearly 250,000 service or support animals each year and saw an 84 percent increase in reported animal incidents since 2016, along with an increase in employee reports of service and support animals behaving aggressively.

“Ignoring the true intent of existing rules governing the transport of service and support animals can be a disservice to customers who have real and documented needs,” the airline said in a news release.

Other carriers, including American Airlines and JetBlue Airways, also are reviewing policies around emotional support animals.

American has noted an increase in the use of emotional support animals since 2016 and is considering additional requirements “to help protect our team members and our customers who have a real need for a trained service or support animal,” spokeswoman Leslie Scott said.

“We agree with Delta’s efforts and will continue to support the rights of customers, from veterans to people with disabilities, with legitimate needs,” she said.

lzumbach@chicagotribune.com

Twitter @laurenzumbach

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was shopping in a store in Ocala FL Monday and had to maneuver around a Lady with two large "Service" dogs.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
American Airlines is jumping on the "No Emotional support Amphibian" crusade now. Crap. I guess newt is staying home next trip.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20180514-story.html

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I checked in for a flight last night and saw a girl checking in with her service dog. I could tell it was bullshit. The highly trained animal ended up pissing all over the jetbridge and ignoring its owners commands to move out of the way while it stood blocking the door.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first thing I thought of was the old "WKRP in Cincinnati" bit.
"I swear I thought Turkeys could fly!"

That pretty bird would have gotten chucked out at 27,000 feet.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8333 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
Crap...I'm guessing an emotional support vulture is now out of the question.

Correct, but Schumer doesn’t fly commercial anyway.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
In the last year, the emotional support craze has hit my apartments too. My apartments are no pets allowed, but I get a dozen calls from people who say I have to take their dog as a service animal. When I ask for certs, they say I cannot ask because I’m breaking the law.

I usually remind them that presenting an animal as a service animal when it is not is illegal, and they’ll need to provide the certs anyway when I’m defending myself in court. I also remind them that the animal cannot be in the apartment alone, you know, because service animals must be with you to provide service. That usually eliminates the fakers.

In the end, I find a better applicant who isn’t trying to pass off a 4-month-old puppy as an ESD.

There is literally no such thing as legal certification of service dogs. Any piece of paper someone gives you that says their dog is a service dog has the same legal meaning as a piece of Monopoly money.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
I checked in for a flight last night and saw a girl checking in with her service dog. I could tell it was bullshit. The highly trained animal ended up pissing all over the jetbridge and ignoring its owners commands to move out of the way while it stood blocking the door.

Last year at SEATAC, I was waiting at the arrivals lane for my wife to pick me up. There was a lady with a "Service Dog" that started to hump a guys leg who was seated on a bench. It took all of my restraint to keep from asking her: "Exactly what kind of service does your dog do?".

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
New rule, if you can't get on a plane without your pet, you're not mentally stable enough to be locked in a pressurized tube with me at 30k feet. Mkay?

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
There was a lady with a "Service Dog" that started to hump a guys leg who was seated on a bench. It took all of my restraint to keep from asking her: "Exactly what kind of service does your dog do?".

Next time reach down and shove a dollar under his precious little fake vest. When the protest ensues, say you thought his service was being a stripper.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12399 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can't travel without your pet - you honestly should not leave the confines of your home without professional supervision.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When in need of a cuddly and loving support animal, I always want to have my Peacock near me.
It is a little poopy in the house, though.
Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I better forget taking my pet Goldfish along now.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
This is what happens when a therapy pet is denied.

https://aol.it/2KpS6vn

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
Why are emotional support insects banned? They don’t take up any room.
I guess I’ll just have to use the emotional support bed bugs at the hotel instead of my own.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1493 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
If you are so fucked up that you can't leave the house without an emotional support animal, you need to be institutionalized.

This^^^^

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Further, as of March, Delta will not allow exotic emotional support animals including ferrets, insects, spiders , goats or animals with tusks or hooves to fly.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I hope they don't ban emotional support strippers

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post