SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    UAL did something right this time: Woman Denied Emotional Support Peacock On United Flight
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UAL did something right this time: Woman Denied Emotional Support Peacock On United Flight Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
http://start.att.net/news/read...xnews/category/news+

Woman Denied Emotional Support Peacock On United Flight

5 Hours Ago
FOX News — Janine Puhak

Birds of a feather may flock together, but United Airlines recently shot down one traveler’s request to bring her emotional support peacock on a flight departing Newark Liberty International Airport.

Live and Let Fly reported earlier this week that even though the unidentified woman claimed that she had a second ticket for the peacock, the airline denied her request.

A spokesperson for United further tells Fox News that the traveler(s) with the peacock were told they would not be able to bring it on board.

"This animal did not meet guidelines for a number of reasons, including its weight and size. We explained this to the customers on three separate occasions before they arrived at the airport," said United in a statement.

Photos of the unusual scene were shared to Facebook by travel talk show The Jet Set, sparking online commenters to both condemn and champion United’s decision.

“Unbelievable, this has to stop now!!” one user wrote.

“I'll take the majestic peacock over the 5+ dogs that have attacked my coworkers just this past holiday season,” another supposed airline staffer fired back.

The news comes on heels of Delta’s controversial crackdown of emotional support and service animals. On Jan. 19, the airline announced forthcoming restrictions in hopes of curbing an abuse of policy and an 84 percent increase in ill animal behavior such as urinating, defecating, biting and attacks on flights.

Effective March 1, Delta’s new rules require those flying with emotional support or psychiatric service animals to submit a veterinarian health form and immunization record to Delta with 48-hours’ notice, Fox News reports. A doctor’s note, signed veterinarian health form and proof of animal training will additionally now have to be presented before boarding.

Further, as of March, Delta will not allow exotic emotional support animals including ferrets, insects, spiders, goats or animals with tusks or hooves to fly.
United has recently confirmed to Fox News that they are reevaluating their current support animal policies.

"United is dedicated to providing convenient and comfortable service to all of our customers. We know that some customers require an emotional support animal to assist them through their journey. In order to ensure we provide the best service to everyone onboard our flights, consistent with government rules we currently require these customers to provide documentation from a medical professional and at least 48 hours advance notice," they said via email.

"In our effort to better balance protecting our employees and customers while accommodating passengers with disabilities, we are reviewing our existing policy and plan to share more soon.

Q

Posts: 26324 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Related to this, Delta is now starting to crack down on this emotional support animal crap. It's about time. I hope all airlines start to follow suit.

ETA: Ah, as mentioned in the article which I didn't read all the way through.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30400 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Crap...I'm guessing an emotional support vulture is now out of the question.

Posts: 1966 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is getting way out of hand. A peacock,really. What's next? An emotional snake? Do we really want snakes on a plane? We know what the result would be.

Posts: 6871 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Related to this, Delta is now starting to crack down on this emotional support animal crap. It's about time. I hope all airlines start to follow suit.

I hope the airlines start to crack down as well.

I would also like to see retail business crack down on this. Can I go to the hardware store without someone and their little pet walking around sniffing everyone and pissing on the floor?

quote:
Originally posted by patw:
It is getting way out of hand. A peacock,really. What's next? An emotional snake? Do we really want snakes on a plane? We know what the result would be.

I've read about people trying to pass off a pig and lobster as support animals... Roll Eyes

Posts: 13086 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
If you are so fucked up that you can't leave the house without an emotional support animal, you need to be institutionalized.

Posts: 20066 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
United sux donkey balls.

Oh, wait...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43860 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
So I guess my emotional support cougar 'Leroy' is out. He's gonna be bummed...

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well (he says in a huff) my emotional support cougar and I have tickets to Hawaii in 2 months or so, they'd better not screw her over. She paid for the tickets too.

ps, sorry about Leroy.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Its taken a little overa year and common sense is starting to come back!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Emotional Support Cock.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
RE: this thread's subject line -- Even a blind pig finds an acorn every now and then.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Can I fly with an emotional support stripper?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37949 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Probably not....the pole wouldn't get past TSA.

quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Probably not....the pole wouldn't get past TSA.

quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
To which pole are you referring? Wink

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Sadly the ADA was clearly written to help those that needed service animals. No requirements for registration, harness, paperwork or training requirements. The commercial service dog trainers would love to have a monopoly on providing service animals. Last I checked th cost runs $17,000 to $25,000 depending on the service required.

Then the scammers got in. You can buy what is claimed to be registration, harness and paperwork. One place even promises 24 hour service.
http://registerservicedogs.com...LEAAYAiAAEgK37vD_BwE
https://therapypet.org/?p=g&gc...LEAAYASAAEgJHbfD_BwE

Thing is, I know people with service dogs. They need them. The dogs are "bombproof." When another dog comes up and barks? They give then a look that says "Really? That's rude." I was walking along side of one and he kept nudging me. His owner asked "How's your blood sugar?"it was down.

What needs to be done is to get mean. Person comes into Walmart with a dog, the greeter asks "It that a service dog?" Then "What is it trained to do?" Dogs that are distracted, poop, bark etc. get tossed. Emotional support critters have very few rights. They aren't allowed into stores. The airlines can make rules about them.

The fad seems to be just how outlandish a emotional support animal can be. For service animals the fake service dog avoids sticking the dog in the hold, or buying a ticket to Lavigne him n a boarding kennel.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
So I guess my emotional support cougar 'Leroy' is out. He's gonna be bummed...

I think since leroy is up to date on his shots and other vet info, he could join. He certainly doesnt outweigh some dogs.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the lady needs to be in a padded cell and the peacock needs to be set free

always a scammer looking for an easy mark

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53158 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
the lady needs to be in a padded cell and the peacock needs to be set free

always a scammer looking for an easy mark

agreed

its shocking to me that we have so many people in this country that are so weak minded they're incapable of boarding an aircraft or going to the store without the company of an animal.

Posts: 1624 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
its shocking to me that we have so many people in this country that are so weak minded they're incapable of boarding an aircraft or going to the store without the company of an animal.

That's the point. A very few probably are, legitimately. All these idiots (the "so many" part of the equation) are either attention trolls or too attached to their "fur baby" to let it stay home or travel down below.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12396 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post