SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Manitoba Public Insurance asked a Star Trek fan to “surrender” his licence plate after complaints its message (ASIMIL8) is offensive
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Manitoba Public Insurance asked a Star Trek fan to “surrender” his licence plate after complaints its message (ASIMIL8) is offensive Login/Join 
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted
Make it so, Number One

WINNIPEG—Manitoba Public Insurance has revoked a Star Trek fan’s personalized licence plate after receiving complaints that its message — ASIMIL8 — is offensive to indigenous people.

Nick Troller has been driving around with the plate for two years.

It’s held within a Star Trek licence frame that also bears the quotes, “We are the Borg,” and “Resistance is Futile.”

Troller tells CTV Winnipeg that on his favourite show, an enemy race of aliens called the Borg travel through the galaxy trying to assimilate other cultures into their own.

He says he thought the plate was funny and notes strangers and other Trek fans have complimented him and asked to take photos with the plate.

But Troller got a phone call Wednesday from a staff member at Manitoba Public Insurance who told him two people had complained that the word “assimilate” is offensive to indigenous people.

He also received a letter from MPI on Thursday demanding he “surrender” the plate immediately, telling him he can either get a new plate or a refund on the $100 charge.

“But that’s not the point,” says Troller. “We’ve become way too sensitive. You can’t say anything anymore to anybody.”

Ry Moran, from the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation, insists the word “assimilate” is too offensive to be on a licence plate.

“For basically the entirety of this country’s history, indigenous peoples have been forcibly assimilated through really extremely destructive means and ways,” he says.

“Words like that, meant or not, have an actual impact on many people.”

MPI’s policy states that “plates cannot contain a slogan that could be considered offensive.” MPI says it takes such complaints “very seriously” and will investigate why the plate was approved in the first place.

Licence plates are property of the Crown and there is no appeal process.

Troller’s situation is reminiscent of a controversy in Nova Scotia, where a man named Lorne Grabher’s personalized GRABHER plate was revoked after a complaint that it was offensive to women.

The Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms said earlier this month that it plans to sue the Nova Scotia government over the revocation, which it sees as an infringement on freedom of expression.

The JCCF’s John Carpay said the GRABHER licence plate revocation is part of a wider trend in Canadian society.

“Canadians are becoming increasingly less tolerant of free expression,” he said. “You have more and more people who believe that they have a legal right to go through life without seeing or without hearing things they find to be offensive.”

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3067 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Well, it WAS a cool plate.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation

That sounds downright Orwellian.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I love his last name. Sucks about his plate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
So they have snowflakes up north to, eh?

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
How do you say "Go fuck yourself" in Canadian?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:

Pretty much like that? Confused

Razz

Big Grin

Posts: 2933 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
It's Canada. For those of you that have never been there or have friends there it is a lot like California but colder in the winter.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

"Go fuck yourself you hoser, eh!?"

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
quote:

"Go fuck yourself ya hoser" or "Go fuck yourself, aye."

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4859:
quote:

"Go fuck yourself ya hoser" or "Go fuck yourself, aye."

I think it's the latter. After all, just remember how they decided what to name their country:

One Canadian: "Well, what are we gonna call ourselves - what will be the name of our country?"

Another Canadian: "How about... C, a?"

Yet another one: "N, a?"

And, another one: "D, a?"

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
just when you think that a government employee has hit rock bottom in the moron department, they break out the drilling gear

what assholes

I find government morons offensive - can we have him rejected

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:

God Bless Smile

Nah, we're safe. Without ASIMIL8tion, how can we be doomed? Wink

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veni,vidi,Vici
Picture of Campusninja
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of this scene from Canadian Bacon.
https://youtu.be/dDGkQiwh_qg

Ugh

Posts: 1260 | Location: Michigan | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
One could argue that all license plate numbers are offensive to anyone who has been incarcerated.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
HELPIII I'm being assimilated!!!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
quote:
National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation

That sounds downright Orwellian.

It's actually much scarier than that. The name "Truth and Reconcilliation" was coined as the title of a Commission in post-Apharteid South Africa. The stated (bullshit) goal was to promote unity. It was more about (black) victims having a well-advertised forum to express their grievances while (white) perpetrators had the option of requesting amnesty in exchange for "confessing their sins" to the Commission and begging forgiveness.

The TRC has always reminded me of the Neuremburg Trials, only without the war crimes, less due process, and instead of hanging the guilty, they got set loose in the pissed off (and now even more riled up) community.

The whole thing gives me the chills.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Oh man, that story just makes me want to Spock every 5 I see !

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post