SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Internet connection fails too often. Why?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Internet connection fails too often. Why? Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted
We’ve been loosing our connection to the ISP server every few minutes or so. Some time ago our ISP mentioned that we needed an upgraded router because they’ve upgraded their service, so I got a new one from their local office. That didn’t solve our connection problem.
I’ve rebooted everything many times without helping the situation. Does our wireless box need to be replaced as well?
I’d appreciate any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this problem.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Check to see if there is a firmware upgrade for your wireless router.

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aller Anfang ist schwer
Picture of Tavman
posted Hide Post
Disconnects on all devices? Both wireless and wired has issue? Has your ISP came out and tested your lines signal quality?

If is multiple devices, and you just replaced your hardware I'd lean towards line or ISP issues.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Fayetteville, AR | Registered: May 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does our wireless box need to be replaced as well?

Is your router separate from your modem?

I had a similar issue with Comcast a few years ago although mine was intermittent. Took them a few visits and testing things over and over again before they admitted it was an outside of the house somewhere else.

If nothing simple fixes it and your boxes route/modem are from your internet provider I would have them come out and run some tests. My experience is with this is good and bad. All depends on the technician.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
run a machine direct off your modem long enough to tell. firmware update on router a good idea as well.

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Is your router separate from your modem?

If separate how are the connected?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Like mentioned above you need to determine if it is a local networking issue or something else further upstream.
Wired or Wireless?
If both then look to the ISP or their equipment.
If only on Wifi then look at what is going on here and it should be properly troubleshooted.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Mine did that 20 times a day and needed rebooted 20 times a day. A new router installed a few weeks ago and it hasn't crashed one time since.

I think you need a new router.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Router and modem separate. All devices will lose connection. I’m not sure if I should update firmware until I know what version I have and I can’t stay connected to Linksys live chat long enough to find out.
Connected the desktop direct to modem and still couldn’t stay connected to the net.
Suddenlink is getting a man right out here the middle of next week. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who is your ISP and how are you connected? (satellite, DSL, coax, fiber...?)

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
Router and modem separate. All devices will lose connection. I’m not sure if I should update firmware until I know what version I have and I can’t stay connected to Linksys live chat long enough to find out.
Connected the desktop direct to modem and still couldn’t stay connected to the net.

Could be the modem, could be a copper issue, could be a dslam issue. Let the tech troubleshoot first.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Getg rid of the Linksys router, and get a quality Netgear router-figure on spending about $180.00-$200.00 on the Netgear router. Don’t cheap out.

Linksys caused me nothing but headaches. Netgear has been rock solid for years.

Dollars to donuts if you go to your local 24-hour superstore and get a quality Netgear router, you’ll be up and running in no-time flat.

Posts: 2933 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
$200 for a consumer-grade Netgear router? Ouch!

For about $50, buy a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X. Fully-featuered, Vyatta-based, serious switching hardware. Makes commodity routers look like the jokes they are.

Posts: 6455 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Happened to me couple years back.
I had comcast come and check,my case the cable from the pole was very old.
They ran all new coax 100 % replaced it.
Took care of the problem.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very similar experience here. Lots of drop out, rebooting etc. Comcast gave me a new modem/router and still had thep problems. The tech replaced the cable in the house and ran a new cable from the box out on the utility pole. This fixed all the problems.

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Minimum would be good visual on all components, connectors and reseating all connections.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

This tends to imply it's the modem or something upstream of it.

We had the same problem a year ago. Comcast thought it was the modem (which was well past EOL), but it turned out a squirrel had breached the drop about smack in the middle.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Had a similar experience recently. Upgraded firmware, bought new equipment etc...Come to find out, there was a copper fitting atop the telephone pole that had corroded a tad bit. Replaced it, and everything worked fine.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14009 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sounds like the modem or something in the line coming into it since it drops when connected directly to the modem.

A good tech should be able to track this down. They can connect a meter to your line and check single strength and then move down the line to help isolate the problem. Talk to the tech. The Comcast guy gave me a card and a number to his supervisor if the problem continued so I could cut out a lot of the middlemen.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
“...it turned out a squirrel had breached the drop about smack in the middle.”

Aw man, my yard is wall to wall with squirrels. Thanks for all the ideas.