SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vienna sausages: tasty treat, or mystery meat?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vienna sausages: tasty treat, or mystery meat? Login/Join 
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Don't be a hater, my friend Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gallo Pazzesco
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
We keep some Vienna sausages around, as Mom likes to feed them to Miss Wondermutt on occasion. I'm cool with that; once in a while I'll share a can with the old pup myself.

So last weekend I had grabbed a can of sausages as a pup-treat, and figured I'd sneak one of 'em for myself. They're a little yucky, honestly, but I remember really liking them as a kid. I stood there thinking, "are these better or worse than Spam? Or Treet?" My mind wandered a little, and then I thought, "Hey! We fry Spam... wonder what happens if we fry Viennas?"

So I tossed a few sausages and a little butter in the cast iron skillet I was already heating for an egg. Turns out, these things are far better when heated! Then I figured what the heck and fried my egg in the leftover ooze. Tasty!

They're mostly chicken, and I didn't see the dreaded sodium erythrobate (always heard that was ground worms) on the ingredient label, but I still wondered a little.

All grunt infantry service members know all about Vi-eee-nah sausages. Possibly the greatest canned meat in the history of mankind.

A can of viennas and a bottle of hot sauce saved many of us from C-Rats fatigue back in the day when in the field for weeks upon weeks.

I still keep cases of them (sold at both Costco and Sam's) in my preps pantry. They last a lonnnnnnnnng time, well past their expiration date, if kept in a cool place out of the sunlight.

Mustard and hotsauce viennas are a delicacy loaded with all kinds of good stuff that make them worthy emergency chow in a pinch on crackers. You can also mash them up and make a serious field pate' out of them that works well on an MRE cracker. You can chop them up and use them in beans to make beans and franks. You can split them down the middle and put them between bread to make a vienna sandwich. The ways to use viennas are endless. In scrambled eggs, fried in cornbread batter, wrapped like a pig in a blanket, etc., etc., etc.

Posts: 104 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: September 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Gallo - you certainly know how to creatively eat Vienna sausages. My hat is off to you, Sir!

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gallo Pazzesco
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odin:
Gallo - you certainly know how to creatively eat Vienna sausages. My hat is off to you, Sir!

LOL ... thanks. Yeah, I've probably eaten a few hundred cans of them in my life for sure. Pogey bait is a thing in the field and the #1 pogey bait among paratroopers is vienna sausages. You could literally trade a can of viennas for just about anything in the field. Candy bars, cigarettes, a can of dip, monkey butt, A&B chaffing cream ... a can of viennas in the field is like a gold coin among paratroopers.

You can fry them like bacon you know.

Posts: 104 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: September 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Funny thread! I have never eaten Spam.

There must be something to that whole collective (un?)conscious shit. I tossed a can of viennas in the basket last weekend(Libbey's). I haven't had them since I was probably 5 or 6.

I haven't cracked em open yet, but I did something similar with canned corned-beef-hash a few years ago. Used to love it as a kid, but hate the "canned" taste as an adult - even fried on a skillet.

I'll prolly fry the little wieners next time I'm home alone for lunch(wife is a judgy-ass Judy with canned food) and eat them with ritz crackers and hot sauce.

Am I having a mid-life crisis?

Posts: 5101 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Possibly the greatest canned meat in the history of mankind.

wait....I've been gone all day....
Did we get confirmation here that Vienna sausages are actual *meat*???? With this shock, I've got to go lay down.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Well, the label does list chicken as the first ingredient... Wink

quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
I'll prolly fry the little wieners next time I'm home alone for lunch

Be sure an' use real butter, too, not that sorry margarine stuff. Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13428 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Well, the label does list chicken as the first ingredient... Wink

quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
I'll prolly fry the little wieners next time I'm home alone for lunch

Be sure an' use real butter, too, not that sorry margarine stuff. Big Grin

And, cut shallow spiral slices to let the buttery goodness in.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Look what my wife found for me:

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^I've not had the Goya brand ones as yet. Next trip to the store, I'll look for them (usually I get Armour). If they are as good as other Goya products, they should be fantastic.

Posts: 3203 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
No kidding! Goya Viennas?!?!

Gotta look for those...

God bless America.

Posts: 13428 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me too!!!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Great with a cold beer. My dog loved them. She always got half the can.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a can last week, Jalapeño on some crackers mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmm good!

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the 1950's, poor families in my neighborhood (which included almost everybody!) consumed quite a few cans. The REALLY poor families (who made up the rest of the neighborhood) had to settle for the Artificial Vienna Sausages.

To paraphrase one of my favorite signature lines in Sigforum, "I am not well-versed in the language of the poor, but I know enough to get by in the neighborhoods where it is spoken."

Posts: 1626 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Always kinda wondered why they were in our pantry Wink

Wanna find those ones from Goya.

God bless those folks!!!

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Uuuummmmm, waitaminut. "Artificial Vienna Sausages"????? Aren't they just about the very definition of "artificial food" to begin with? If we can't even figure out what's in the "real" ones, then what's in the artificial ones? I don't think I really wanna know.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
Uuuummmmm, waitaminut. ... If we can't even figure out what's in the "real" ones, then what's in the artificial ones? I don't think I really wanna know.

Oh, pooh!

Its right there on the can, not so hard t read with my glasses on:

"Mechanically separated chicken, water, salt, corn syrup, 2% or less of beef, pork, dextrose, natural flavors, sodium nitrite, garlic powder, chicken broth."

quote:
Originally posted by 9mmnut:
Great with a cold beer. My dog loved them. She always got half the can.

My dog is a beerhound too!
She won't leave me alone when I have one.

But I don't give her half a can, only 1/2 a teaspoonful.

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Who has their stack of Steven Seagal VSH tapes ready for a party Saturday???

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mbinky:
Who has their stack of Steven Seagal VSH tapes ready for a party Saturday???

mbinky, that looks very toothsome!

I'd try it with these Goya recipe corn sticks, substituted for the breadsticks in the background:

"Surullitos are fried corn sticks that are wildly popular appetizer food in Puerto Rico. In this authentic surullitos recipe, a quick, homemade cornmeal dough is mixed with cheese, rolled into cigar shapes and fried. To retain its alluring crispy crunch, serve immediately with MayoKetchup."

https://www.goya.com/en/recipe...m_click_id=undefined