SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vienna sausages: tasty treat, or mystery meat?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vienna sausages: tasty treat, or mystery meat? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
We keep some Vienna sausages around, as Mom likes to feed them to Miss Wondermutt on occasion. I'm cool with that; once in a while I'll share a can with the old pup myself.

So last weekend I had grabbed a can of sausages as a pup-treat, and figured I'd sneak one of 'em for myself. They're a little yucky, honestly, but I remember really liking them as a kid. I stood there thinking, "are these better or worse than Spam? Or Treet?" My mind wandered a little, and then I thought, "Hey! We fry Spam... wonder what happens if we fry Viennas?"

So I tossed a few sausages and a little butter in the cast iron skillet I was already heating for an egg. Turns out, these things are far better when heated! Then I figured what the heck and fried my egg in the leftover ooze. Tasty!

They're mostly chicken, and I didn't see the dreaded sodium erythrobate (always heard that was ground worms) on the ingredient label, but I still wondered a little.

Question:
So, SF: are Vienna sausages good stuff or nasty?

Choices:
Yes, they're a tasty treat!
No way, those things are mystery meat.
Not bad, but I only keep them for the dog.
I wouldn't dare mistreat my dog that way.
Other

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Yeah I liked them as a kid. Haven't had em in ages. Might have to give them a try and see if my tastes have changed.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Way better than "potted meat" and I made friends with stray white kitty using Vienna sausages, which aren't really from Vienna.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
They are OK. I eat them sometimes. Like any sausage, you don't want to dwell too much on how they are made or what from.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it even the same stuff I ate as a kid?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Is it even the same stuff I ate as a kid?

I'd venture it's better.
And it's absolutely better than potted meat. Yuck!

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Other - Allergic
Cannot keep them down.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Parts is parts.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8513 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I eat them as well as spam. I think I eat them more often than spam. As you said, they taste better when someone cooks them for you.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They’re both!

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5149 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like them on Club crackers and American cheese.

Once upon a time, when I was living with my mother after she got sick, I would share some with her little Maltese.

It became a ritual, a little before bedtime, I would get a can of Vienna sausages, a couple slices of American cheese and enough club crackers. I would eat 75% of it and give him the last bit.

It might have saved his life after mom became really sick and ended up in a coma for 3 months. He stopped eating and after 2 weeks, it was the only thing that we could get him to eat on a regular basis.

So, yeah I like the little sausages.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Fish lips and chicken dicks....That's what's in them Wink Don't care for the Libby's but the Armour brand is good to go. As with any processed meat, don't think too hard on it, you may never eat it if you do Big Grin

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Whenever I hear the phrase Vienna Sausage it always reminds me of my former coworker Gary. We haven't worked together in nearly 20 years, but I still remember some of his vocabulary decoder:
  • Bat Tree = battery
  • Cadillac Convertor = catalytic convertor
  • Vine a sausage = Vienna Sausage. Frankly, this one took the longest to figure out WTF he was talking about.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Waiting for Hachiko
    Picture of Sunset_Va
    posted Hide Post
    Main stay of construction workers everywhere. You can tell what they ate each day by the cans and trash they leave behind where they ate.

As an aside, they are much better by dousing them with black pepper and vinegar in the can.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of ShouldBFishin
    posted Hide Post
    When I hear Vienna Sausages I think of this:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/embed/J9wJpB8A2-A

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of 229DAK
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by vthoky:
    Turns out, these things are far better when heated!
    Yea, kind of like C-Rations. Big Grin

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Raised Hands Surround Us
    Three Nails To Protect Us
    Picture of Black92LX
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    Whenever I hear the phrase Vienna Sausage it always reminds me of my former coworker Gary. We haven't worked together in nearly 20 years, but I still remember some of his vocabulary decoder:
  • Bat Tree = battery
  • Cadillac Convertor = catalytic convertor
  • Vine a sausage = Vienna Sausage. Frankly, this one took the longest to figure out WTF he was talking about.

• Are you sure his name was Gary and not Roy??? Because that fella speaks the exact same language as my grandpa!

And yes I enjoy the little things. Grandpa always was snacking on them.

————————————————
    The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
    If we got each other, and that's all we have.
    I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
    You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Master of one hand
    pistol shooting
    Picture of Hamden106
    posted Hide Post
    Vienna beaks and butts sausages are always in my hunting and hiking lunch along with Bushes beans also in their smallest can. Also dried fruit and granola bars.

SIGnature
    NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    drop and give me
    20 pushups
    posted Hide Post
    give me a tube of saltine crackers and a can or two of vienna sausages/ can of soda pop which made for a quick lunch while in the boat while fishing on the bayou/river. Or maybe a can or two of potted meat. Did not know and still do not want to known contents. Sort of like chicken nuggets make up. ................................. drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Purveyor of
    Fine Avatars
    Picture of Orguss
    posted Hide Post
    Only thing I don't like about Vienna sausages is the sludge in which they're kept. What is that stuff?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post