SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vienna sausages: tasty treat, or mystery meat?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vienna sausages: tasty treat, or mystery meat? Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Usually fill the top of the can with mustard. They are 50/50.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first time I ate Brown and Serve sausages on a Boy Scout camp out sixty years ago I thought they were great. I still eat them occasionally but I think the quality has slipped or else my tastes have changed.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“A Vienna sausage is a thin parboiled sausage traditionally made of pork and beef in a casing of sheep's intestine, then given a low temperature smoking. The word Wiener is German for Viennese…”
—Wikipedia

Haven’t had any for a long time – ought to try them again. Maybe good for a weight loss program because of their small size.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I eat a can full along with a pack of lance crackers for lunch.

It keeps hunger away till evening meal. Its either that or protein bar. Vienna/lance seem to keep hunger pangs away a little longer than a protein bar.

All part of my program to keep weight near max healthy bmi for my height/weight.

There not all that tasty by themselves and the amount of salt used to hide what it must taste like un-doctored indicates to me that it must be bad.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
I can't get past the texture, or rather lack of texture.

No matter how much you cook it, just can't get it to seem like meat.

At least spam can get tough. Spam and Egg with cheese and mayo, good! Salt intake is covered for following week as well.

But, vienna sausages.... no, more like vienna jello.

No, just no for me.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hangtime:
I eat a can full along with a pack of lance crackers for lunch.
<snip>

I didn’t know of Lance crackers. If I can find them at any of my grocery stores I’ll try them for my Crackers quest:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...000050974#1000050974

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

aren't really from Vienna.
Big Grin

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

I didn’t know of Lance crackers. If I can find them at any of my grocery stores
A staple in the vending machine in the pilot's lounge at any small airport.

I have often heard that the most dangerous part of flying is the "food" found in the pilot's lounge. My experience indicates that this is true.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

I didn’t know of Lance crackers. If I can find them at any of my grocery stores
A staple in the vending machine in the pilot's lounge at any small airport.

I have often heard that the most dangerous part of flying is the "food" found in the pilot's lounge. My experience indicates that this is true.

Along with the coffee.

I’d swear that some of the coffee I’ve seen at some small fields has been sitting on the burner for hours.

Serious about crackers

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
some of the coffee I’ve seen at some small fields has been sitting on the burner for hours.
Days.

We pay extra for the aged stuff.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I always ate them with vinegar in the can. Tasty treat to me. I guess that's the joy of growing up poor.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is an old one but this lady is hysterical during Louisiana storms

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never understood Vienna sausages...never mind they have nothing to do with sausages from Wien. I could eat them but, never had any craving and always saw them as low-end, bottom food. When its all you got but, you're not very creative when it comes to cooking...

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Only thing I don't like about Vienna sausages is the sludge in which they're kept. What is that stuff?
From Wiki:

"They are available plain (in a gelatin, similar to aspic) or with a variety of flavorings, such as smoke, mustard, chili or barbecue sauces. Consumption of Vienna sausages peaked in the 1940s to 1970s, but has declined since then."

Posts: 9039 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in my Boy Scout days some of the guys would bring em on a overnight hike.
De-skusting I tell ya with that gelatinous
stuff getting all over everything.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I eat them occasionally and I've damn sure eaten worse stuff. Wink

I got 3 words for you:
Mechanically Separated Meat. Razz

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Used to eat them all the time. Stopped when we had them one New Years Eve, many years ago, just after someone screamed, "lets do a double shot of everything". You get the picture. Gags me to smell them now.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Used to soup them up by emptying the juice they came in out, adding cider vinegar with a little hot sauce and letting them soak for about an hour or so. Great with beer and chips after that. Wink

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1865 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Airpusher
posted Hide Post
They are a staple at deer camp, at least for the older generation. The younger guys turn their nose up at them.

A man is still only as good as his word

Posts: 220 | Location: Flowery Branch, Georgia | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dump the juice, put them in a small bowl with mustard and hot sauce. Then in microwave for 30 seconds. Not to bad for a quick easy snack.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GT-40DOC,

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post