SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Osprey backpack or similar? Need input
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Osprey backpack or similar? Need input Login/Join 
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
We’ve got osprey and camelback.

Both are nice.

Get what fits

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Tried a bunch today and realized I can't stand the ones with a waist strap.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t buy a current osprey pack unless I was getting geared up for an ultralight through hike which I’m not. They aren’t made in Colorado anymore and the current ones are cheap and flimsy.

That being said, I’m a snob about packs.

I’d look at a kifaru antero/14er or a stone glacier day pack. Mystery ranch also makes a few cool ones.

Osprey??? Pshhht....

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
What is your budget? Do you want something made in Vietnam? Do you want something for this trip or something you use for years?
I have an American made Kifaru Spike camp. It is about 2300 CI. Perfect size. If you are looking for a high quality American made product that will last and something to be proud to own I have it for sale. If not, best of luck.

Kifaru is the jam. Can’t beat them. That being said, I do have an osprey, a 1999 silouhette back when they were handmade in Dolores Colorado. Packs have come a long way, back then, 75lbd was considered a heavy load, kifaru, stone glacier, exo and mystery ranch....all those have 160+ load ratings.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Osprey is the dominant technical backpack brand on the market right now. If you're backpacking or, need a serious daypack with suspension, Osprey has very good options. Sounds like you're looking for something to put a reservoir, lunch and a windbreaker in....around 10-20L?

Osprey Stratos 24 is their most popular hike daypack, considering you're replacing a Med ALICE pack, this would be a good option. There's also 36L and 50L options available.

I’d disagree with this unless by dominant you mean the best off the shelf ultra light backpacking pack (the levity). Osprey simply isn’t up to par currently with the products they staked their name on. I hate to use the word “junk” but I can’t really think of a nicer way to describe osprey currently with one word.