SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Osprey backpack or similar? Need input
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Osprey backpack or similar? Need input Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
My road trip travel bag for almost 25 years has been a medium alice pack my Dad used in Desert Storm. I don't think its going to work for a future vacation we have planned.

I have a trip planned that involves a flight and lots of touristy stuff, including theme parks, with me carrying daily use items for three - things like refillable tourist cups, ponchos, meds, etc.

I'd liket a small, light comfortable backpack, possibly with a water bladder option. I do not want anything remotely "tacticool" and it should be small enough to tote on some of those theme park rides.

I am thinking of getting one of the Osprey brand bags. Does anyone use one or have any recommendations for similar?

I know we have had a lot of bag threads, but none seems to apply to my specific needs. I'll be toting this thing for a week or so.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
I have a few osprey packs, I love them, my oldest osprey is a messenger bag I have had for 10 years. It’s been back to osprey for one free repair and I still carry it to work every day. I have a couple of bags I sue for air travel including a farpoint. I would suggest looking at the ozone 24 https://www.osprey.com/us/en/p...4-OZONEDYPK_302.html

Good luck I hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine.

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
We have several Osprey packs and one of their larger, wheeled Shuttle bags. I’ve found them to be top notch in quality and design.

Check out the Comet model. It’s the one I use on a daily basis. Also, something in their Daylite series may meet the size options you need.

Michael

Posts: 1102 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usp_fan
posted Hide Post
I have 4 Osprey packs. I am an admitted fanboy. I have an old computer day pack for commuting, a messenger bag for the same, a 22L pack for extended bike rides and day hikes, and a 65L Atmos AG for backpacking. I've used their warantee 2x now and it truely is no hassel. This summer my day pack ripped at a seam shortly before we were traveling to Fiji. I sent it in and after fixing it, they sent it to where we were vacationing so I could use it from our overseas travels.
The pack I have is the Talon 22. There are several that will fit your needs. Mine has been to Disney and Universal. It was a little big for some of the rides, but we had kids we were swapping around so one of us would ride while the other waited with the bag and then switched.

I will say Ospresy has figured out how to make hauling loads more comfortable than you would expect.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: March 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Osprey pack I have more or less abused. Beaten unmercifully by being tossed into the cargo box of an ATV.
It is now dirty but still fully serviceable.
Osprey is good to go.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
My wife and I both have Osprey backpacks.
What I really like about ours is the mesh back panel that keeps the bag off your back allowing air to circulate.
The waste strap is also comfortable. The only minor complaint is that the zippered pouches on the belt are on the small size.

You will not be disappointed!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
A friend runs an outfitting store in St George, lots of top line equipment. When I wanted a new pack he recommended the Osprey. It's been great, has space for a bladder and the mesh back works well in hot Utah.

Win

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
If you can find a place to try before you buy I'd recommend it, or at least give yourself plenty of time to return it and find something else if you need to.

I used to hike and backpack and camp a lot and I always liked Osprey stuff but I looked at a bunch of their backpacking packs and day packs and never found one that fit me right.

The best backpack in the world will make you miserable if it doesn't fit right.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I'm 6-3 tall and most backpacks arte too short for me. FIT is very important, especially as the weight of the pack rises. As suggested...Try them on before buying.

Unless you are that average size, then most should fit. Osprey is good gear, can't go wrong there.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
What is your budget? Do you want something made in Vietnam? Do you want something for this trip or something you use for years?
I have an American made Kifaru Spike camp. It is about 2300 CI. Perfect size. If you are looking for a high quality American made product that will last and something to be proud to own I have it for sale. If not, best of luck.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19183 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
What is your budget? Do you want something made in Vietnam? Do you want something for this trip or something you use for years?
I have an American made Kifaru Spike camp. It is about 2300 CI. Perfect size. If you are looking for a high quality American made product that will last and something to be proud to own I have it for sale. If not, best of luck.

They look nice, but I think for the same purposes, I'd continue to use my alice pack. As mentioned, it is my road trip bag used several times a year and I am very attached to it.

For this particular purpose, I want something much smaller, very breathable for hot weather, and light. It would be used a handful of times a year when I need to carry more than my pockets will hold. I would like something that would last.

As to trying - I have a few Moosejaw stores, and one REI around to try some Osprey. Not sure who else sells them and they have a few hundred varieties.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Might want to check on options from camelbak too. I have abused several on military deployments and they have held up very well. They have a good number of non tactical looking options and colors. Yes made overseas ( the ones I have owned were all marked made in Philippines)

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Check out the Osprey Daylite or Daylite Plus. Seems to fit what you're looking for.

Bought my Osprey Porter 46 back in 2011 and it has served me well. It is still as solid as the day I got it.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Another company to look at is Vanquest. While not really high end stuff, the quality is adequate and they have somewhat reasonably priced options.

Vanquest Gear

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I looked at an Osprey Daylite, but found the shoulder straps uncomfortable. I ended up getting a Camelbak Mule and couldnt be happier.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Osprey is the dominant technical backpack brand on the market right now. If you're backpacking or, need a serious daypack with suspension, Osprey has very good options. Sounds like you're looking for something to put a reservoir, lunch and a windbreaker in....around 10-20L?

Osprey Stratos 24 is their most popular hike daypack, considering you're replacing a Med ALICE pack, this would be a good option. There's also 36L and 50L options available.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
As to trying - I have a few Moosejaw stores, and one REI around to try some Osprey. Not sure who else sells them and they have a few hundred varieties.

Moosejaw is awesome. I wish there was one near me.

If Osprey doesn't work out, what I ended up with most recently, both for backpacking and day use, is Deuter. I've been very pleased - light and comfortable with a decent load.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

Use the Dealer finder on the Osprey website.

Besides Moosejaw and REI (Troy & Ann Arbor)( Mad anti-2A) , there's Backcountry North in Birmingham; not sure how that location is but their Traverse City location is GTG. Also there's Bivouac in Ann Arbor. If need be, ordering online through Zappos.com, Backcountry.com, Mountain Gear.com

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I think I have narrowed it down to the following in this order. Anyone have one?

Talon 22

Nebula

Escapist 18 or 25

Daylight Plus

Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Maybe one of the Kelty packs, they are very rugged.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post