SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Strange Self-Written Obit
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strange Self-Written Obit Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
It's kind of snarky but also seems a bit self-congratulatory and I'm wondering if his cause of death was actually suicide? If so, that was a total selfish asshole move leaving teenage kids behind like that with no Dad:

'I have completed my shift as the great American cliché': Surgeon and Army veteran pens incredible obituary to himself before his death aged 48

I find the whole thing a little odd

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
He certainly was an odd duck.

It does make you wonder about suicide, but on the other hand, maybe he had a fatal diseases and knew it was time to write the obituary.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Odd yes. The inability to nail down cause of death seems to indicate possible suicide as well. His entire “story” screams out over compensation. Hope his family was left in good shape going forward.

Posts: 7349 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
sounds like a guy who THOUGHT he was really funny.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
a total selfish asshole move

quote:
sounds like a guy who THOUGHT he was really funny

Sounds like most surgeons I've known Wink

Reading the whole obit, it actually is pretty amusing...putting death in it's proper prospective

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Egocentric individual. Has an inflated sense of self. Should have taken some writing courses. If he wanted a statment he should have had his remains shot out of a cannon like Hunter Thompson.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
^ ^ ^ ^
Maybe he wasn't the right caliber for that. Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... NMU Grad. The institution known locally as "Not Much Upstairs".

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe he wasn't the right caliber for that.

^^^^^^^^^
Clever hahhha

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Is it possible the entire thing is some elaborate joke or hoax? Eek

Seems like it would be a total dick move to pull that on your family though, unless they are in on it as well.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't find the obit funny all.

Sounds like suicide to me as well.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NMU… Where the “N” stands for nowledge!

"Shoot lower, Sheriff, They're ridin' shetlands"
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E. Wi. | Registered: October 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to the local news media: a group of teachers in the Tucson Unified School District wrote their own obituaries a few months ago after being ordered to return to work.

Is seems they were too scared to teach a group of kids in classroom, but willing to receive their pay.

After the laughter died down, no more was heard from that group of scared sheep.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
Writing your own obit is a not an uncommon English exercise in high school

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
Writing your own obit is a not an uncommon English exercise in high school
For most kids it would be pretty short.

I have written an autobiography to provide source material for whoever speaks at my funeral. I do NOT expect it to be read, or even a lot of it it to be used.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Concur that is was strange and humorless

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
The way I interpret it, he wrote it for his family, trying to get them to smile through their tears. I don’t get the sense of a suicide- not unless he had a terminal illness already pushing him out the door. I’d say he likely had a terminal illness, though.
After all, if he’s dead, the family would have been the likely ones who published it. I found it sad, but trying to be cheerful, or make someone smile.
Perhaps he, or his wife, or one of those young kids, couldn’t bear reading a somber description of his life, list of achievements, the stereotypical obit. So he punched it up a little.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post