SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Glock incident: beware of this issue
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock incident: beware of this issue Login/Join 
posted
Local officer (Ohio) allegedly had a pin work out of the trigger safety on his Glock, causing it to catch, activate the trigger, and discharge when he holstered it. First I have heard of this possibility. Thought I would mention it here, in case you wanted to double check your trigger pins (or give your thoughts as to whether this is possible).

https://www.journal-news.com/n...GnnkXQjfJrWUTSYKt0J/

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm not buyin' it.

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something seems fishy about this one.

Im not saying it can't happen, one in a bazillion deal.

If they are talking about the pins in the trigger, (the plastic pin that holds the trigger safety in) it doesn't look like it would stick out far enough so it would hit the side of a holster...

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Nope

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
I've had the lower pin on a M&P trigger walk out before during a class.

But like CPD SIG said - eyeballing my G19 right now - it doesn't seem like that pin is long enough to hit the holster and still articulate the trigger.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
I've noticed a correlation.

1. There are damn few reported occasions of (brand name here) malfunctioning in the grind of day to day life.

2. There is an extremely high incidence of malfunctions in (brand name here) firearms when somebody gets shot in the ass.

Remarkable, is it not?

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Not saying it can't happen but put me solidly in the "Have to see it to believe it" column.

That's some magic pin to work loose in the first place, then stick out far enough to clear the trigger guard AND push the trigger back.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless the pin walks out far enough to cause the trigger safety insert to fall out (unlikely), then the pin sticking out wont' discharge the pistol anyway; the trigger safety insert will prevent rear movement of the trigger. That's the point of having it.

The pin is a blind captured pin, only going in one way from the left side of the trigger; it doesn't go all the way through the trigger, and is an interference fit and is held in place firmly; the only way to remove it is to drill a hole through the trigger from the right side and drive the pin out.

If the owner-officer had done something like driven the pin clear while changing trigger shoes, it's possible, but even if the pin backs out of the hole, snagging the pin on something wont' discharge the pistol.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Maybe if it was a floppy leather type holster it might be a little more believable... but I'm not buying it either.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
My guess would be that someone had their finger in the trigger guard while they were putting the firearm back in the holster. So they had to come up with some BS as an out.

Keep your cotton pickin finger out of the cotton pickin trigger guard!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Yep. This has the aroma of male bovine excrement.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
No way. There isn't a pin on a factory Glock trigger that could accomplish all of that.

First of all, the pin that holds the trigger to the trigger bar would still require something to depress the safety on the trigger face and the pin that holds the safety on trigger itself, even if it walked, wouldn't deactivate that safety.

Second of all, neither of the pins in the trigger are long enough to reach outside the trigger guard and hit something on the holster.

What we have here is a case of head up a__ and inability to accept responsibility for one's actions.

Cops will manage to break anything and everything (I speak from experience). Issue them a smooth rock and they'll manage to somehow make it non-functional.

If this were even possible with the factory Glock trigger system (which it is not) it would have happened well over twenty years ago and dozens of times by now.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4191 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
He had his boogerhook on the bang switch.
Shame on the Dept for even endorsing such a BS statement.
Will be interesting to see if Glock gets wind of this claim and investigates....

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
Nope - not happening. Seems like a case of an errant booger hook and misplaced focus.

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Yea, about that. Um, no. Sorry, no...... Roll Eyes

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Nope to that dope.

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
This has the distinct smell of fish. Glock don’t make no fish Wink

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools.

Yep, put me in this corner of skeptics. Just like, "I was cleaning the gun, when it just accidentally went off".

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I'm not buyin' it.

Me, either. Just checked and do not see how it would even be possible!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post