SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Property line question
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Property line question Login/Join 
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
"Trust, but verify."

And memorialize.

And a fence isn't a bad way to memorialize. Smile

They're going to have a six-foot high memorial, lol.

Posts: 321 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I vote for eight feet with solar panels on top.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
"Trust, but verify."

And memorialize.

And a fence isn't a bad way to memorialize. Smile

In Whackyland, there is a provision to record a Record of Survey in Official Records so it pops up in the chain of title. It may be mandatory in some situations.

Fences wear out, can be moved (not easily), need maintenance etc. Official Records are there forever.

Maybe a boundary agreement describing the survey which is agreed represents the settled boundary.

One of my jobs while in law school was searching official records prior to 1931 at the recorder's office, all the way back to statehood in 1849.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I vote for eight feet with solar panels on top.

I wish it was allowed.

Posts: 321 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tejas421:
You might also want to have the survey rechecked. Surveyors are human and make mistakes. Several years ago I also had a surveyor tell me my property was larger than I thought. I didn't believe him and had it rechecked. Sure enough, he was wrong; the old property lines were confirmed.
This may still be a good idea if there's any question. I was once surprised to learn there are varying degrees of "precision" in these surveys.

Folks misremembering where the boundaries are is also common. I had a client swear up and down that her neighbor had rebuilt his fence five feet onto her property. She was sure because he had had to remove a small flower bed that was on her property. She was ready to file a lawsuit, but I ordered a survey first. I made sure the surveyor understood we had a boundary dispute. He started from scratch, ignored the existing markers, went back to the original plats for the subdivision, metes and bounds, whatever, etc. The new fence was exactly on the property line.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Surveying can be complicated.

Many maps are based on the old original surveys. US Government Surveys may be wrong in the sense that the distances and courses don't jibe with modern measurement techniques, but there is a hierarchy of precedences that control in case of conflict.

In one case I was involved in many years ago, the marker of a section center had been unlocated on the ground for many decades. Several transactions and maps had been accomplished in the assumption that it was where it ought to be, even though no record of it being seen existed, and a number of survey notes reported it was not found.

Lo and behold, someone found a stone vaguely the size and shape described in the survey notes many hundreds of feet from where in theory it ought to have been. It had markings barely discernible with some imagination lending credence to the conclusion that this was in fact the marker placed by the survey party in the 1880's. The judge agreed, and owing to some informality on the part of someone preparing legal descriptions back in the '30's, the south eastern portion of that section no longer existed.

In another case, several surveys conflicted by more than 1,300' in the location of a certain corner of a Rancho.

It happens.

The man who wrote the book, Curtis Brown, was retired in San Diego and I had a chance to visit with him. He pointed out in his book that surveys in Texas were often informal. If the surveyors notes mentioned a certain Spanish name as being one of the survey party, that was a signal to other surveyors that the survey was an "office survey."

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:

The man who wrote the book, Curtis Brown, was retired in San Diego and I had a chance to visit with him. He pointed out in his book that surveys in Texas were often informal. If the surveyors notes mentioned a certain Spanish name as being one of the survey party, that was a signal to other surveyors that the survey was an "office survey."
We did a refinance, and the title company said we'd need a new survey, even though the old one was only four years old. Surveys from the company that did the original one were no longer acceptable to the insurers.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
quote:

We did a refinance, and the title company said we'd need a new survey, even though the old one was only four years old. Surveys from the company that did the original one were no longer acceptable to the insurers.

I should have added that the surveys Brown was talking about were original surveys from 100 years ago or more, not current modern surveys. I apologize for the omission, and inference.

No telling what the title company was worrying about.

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Even though your neighbor has been mowing the strip haven't you been paying taxes on it based on the original property description and isn't that what the survey was based on?

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Even though your neighbor has been mowing the strip haven't you been paying taxes on it based on the original property description and isn't that what the survey was based on?

Yes.