SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Property line question
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Property line question Login/Join 
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
What is this instrument you have referred to as a "variance?" Right now, I'm more worried about it than anything else. What is this document's content? Was it recorded?

When we moved in 23 years ago the neighbors told us they signed a variance to allow the former homeowner to build a garage on the property line. We took them at their word and never checked into it. I'm going to find out today if one exists and if so it's location.

Posts: 321 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
My Mom lives in a house her Dad built back in the 20's or so. It's a semi-rural area in MI.

About 25 years ago the local lines were resurveyed with modern methods. The property lines shifted 15+ feet or so. It was mostly to my mother's benefit, since the other side was open with some lowland.

The neighbor had been mowing this new strip in question for years. His prior mowing had no bearing on actual ownership.

I saw similar in GA, with a more recent survey. We had it as a temporary house, but could of put a fence in part if the yard the neighbor mowed.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
Have the neighbors noticed the pins? I would point it out to them and see what they say.

Yeah, they've noticed the pins because there are big marker sticks with blaze orange markers hanging from them. Neither one of them have said a word.

These people are gems, her boyfriend called me one day to complain about cat hair on his lawn that he claimed came from our old furniture that a furniture company took with them when we bought new recliners. The problem was we don't have a cat and they never took our furniture, in fact it was still in my house.

He called being a complete dick and demanded I call them and have them come get the hair off of his lawn, I told him his was nuts and to get his phone book and call them himself...and he did.

Posts: 321 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Killer:
quote:
What is this instrument you have referred to as a "variance?" Right now, I'm more worried about it than anything else. What is this document's content? Was it recorded?

When we moved in 23 years ago the neighbors told us they signed a variance to allow the former homeowner to build a garage on the property line. We took them at their word and never checked into it. I'm going to find out today if one exists and if so it's location.

A variance is something granted by the municipality in which you live - it's typically a bending of the rules of the zoning code to which your property would otherwise be subject. It comes from the local government, not your neighbor. Whatever they signed, it is not a "variance.". I'm hoping, for your sake, that I wasn't actually tantamount to a boundary line agreement.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I guess it is likely a "king's x" to have a structure in the setback area required by the local zoning code. Believing that the garage was built on the line, a variance was granted.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

A variance is something granted by the municipality in which you live - it's typically a bending of the rules of the zoning code to which your property would otherwise be subject. It comes from the local government, not your neighbor. Whatever they signed, it is not a "variance.". I'm hoping, for your sake, that I wasn't actually tantamount to a boundary line agreement.

This. We had to go before the county board to get a variance to put our house closer to the front property line than typically allowed. It doesn't have anything to do with changing property lines or changing ownership - it just allows you to put something in a place it isn't normally allowed...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I know things are different in different states and municipalities, but I served on the city zoning board for a 5 year term and whenever a variance was being considered each property owner that could be impacted was asked for a statement on whether they agreed with granting the variance or not and why. His neighbor may have been asked for a statement on whether they approved or not. Of course, that statement was only factored into the decision, it was not the final word by any means.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I would worry that your predecessor has acquiesced in the boundary specified in the variance grant, an admission. If you believed that was the boundary, you did not possess exclusively, continuously, notoriously, etc.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
I would worry that your predecessor has acquiesced in the boundary specified in the variance grant, an admission. If you believed that was the boundary, you did not possess exclusively, continuously, notoriously, etc.

This worries me too. I talked to our township zoning officer an hour ago and he said that if a variance was granted that since it was so long ago they wouldn't have it on file.

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
This worries me too. I talked to our township zoning officer an hour ago and he said that if a variance was granted that since it was so long ago they wouldn't have it on file.

That's crazy. The city board I served on was required to keep every single variance ever issued, records of the meeting minutes and all statements and evidence considered. I wonder why in the world they wouldn't require that be kept? How would disputes ever be resolved if it's just each property owner's memory of whether a variance was issued or not?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:

That's crazy. The city board I served on was required to keep every single variance ever issued, records of the meeting minutes and all statements and evidence considered. I wonder why in the world they wouldn't require that be kept? How would disputes ever be resolved if it's just each property owner's memory of whether a variance was issued or not?

Exactly what I thought. The township secretary is looking for me so I hope she turns up something.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Adverse possession is harder to accomplish than many think.

Talk to your lawyer, but . . .

Damn, now I'm worried, lol.

No, I mean to suggest they may not have adversely possessed your land.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Adverse possession is harder to accomplish than many think.

Talk to your lawyer, but . . .

Damn, now I'm worried, lol.

No, I mean to suggest they may not have adversely possessed your land.

OK, I feel a little better. :-)

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
This sort of thing is why I have always gotten a survey prior to purchasing property. It's an expense, sure, but surprises can be even more expensive.

You've already gotten good advice from attorneys above. Non-attorney here - to their words of wisdom I'll just add a recommendation to make sure your attorney attorney knows this bit.
quote:
We took them at their word that they signed a variance to let the previous home owners build a garage on what they said was the correct property line.

If they lied, that might affect the situation. If that's a factor in your area, your attorney will know.

Good luck.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Its clear as mud. We bought this property 32 years ago. We needed a survey and paid the price. Then 7 years ago, we decided to tear down the old house and rebuild. And of course everyone and their mother wanted another survey. So along comes the surveyor and shook up the apple cart. Turns out our property line in the back is right in the middle of my neighbors drive. He re-did the survey several times, trying to prove all the angles.

It became kind of important to me because this city requires 7' of offset. So we built the garage 7' from the surveyors property line, maybre a bit too close to the neighbors liking, but nothing else has changed. He still uses his drive, we still share cutting the little strip. We smile and wave and so do they. I even doubt anyone who works(collects pay) from the city knows or cares. I don't.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
I got proof today that the previous homeowner did in fact get a variance to build the garage three feet from the property line NOT directly on the line as the neighbors told us 23 years ago. The diagram he turned in to the township shows the correct property line, not the one we were told.

I called my attorney this morning but she had court and didn't call me back. I'll call her again in the morning. Thanks to everyone who has given me advice.

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Well, then from the situation as presented, I don't think you have much to worry about. You win.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
Talked to our lawyer and she said we should be fine, but to give our neighbors something in writing saying something to the effect we'll give them 30 days to get their own surveyor if they don't agree with ours. I talked to the neighbors today, which caught me off guard, and they seem fine with the new and correct property lines, but I don't trust them. Thanks again to all who have contributed to this thread, I appreciate it.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
"Trust, but verify."

And memorialize.

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
"Trust, but verify."

And memorialize.

And a fence isn't a bad way to memorialize. Smile

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post