SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Route Advice - East to West across New York
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Route Advice - East to West across New York Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Traveling to Michigan from Maine next month. REAL tired of running I-90 all the way.

Thinking the usual route up to Schenectady, then taking I-88 and I-81 to Binghamton and 17/I-86 and then picking up I-90 again just over the PA border.

Time is not a huge consideration (tho I'm not willing to take the time to do US20) and Google maps shows it pretty much a wash anyway, just looking for some new scenery.

No passport so cutting across Canada from Buffalo is not an option. Plus I'll be packing.

Comments/Suggestions?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Usually run 17/86 when going across the state.
Thruway, I90, is monotonous and makes me drowsy.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
You could go through Pennsylvania instead of New York--you've got to get south of the lakes to get to Michigan without going through Canada. At Binghamton head south through Scranton, PA (check out Steamtown!)and take I-80 across to Akron, OH. I drove I-80 east in 2005--it was OK.

In 2011, I drove US-6 across Pennsylvania and enjoyed it, but I think you're wanting a faster drive. The old Kinzua Viaduct is an interesting site near that highway. My return trip took me west from Montreal, QC to Port Huron, MI--that was a great drive!

flashguy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flashguy,

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I go to Michigan to see family about every other year.

I did the I-80 route a couple of trips ago and it was a welcome change of scenery. Plus it wasn't I-90 which in all cases is a Good Thing.

Several years ago (late 90's) before passports were required, I did US-20 to Buffalo and cut across Canada. BEAUTIFUL country. Even stopped to rummage around at a couple of real estate offices. No jobs tho, plus NY's commie gun laws.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless covered by a law enforcement hr218 regulation carrying a handgun in New York without a NY permit ( which is not available to nonresidents) could land you in big trouble. Even if transporting locked and unloaded under FOPA has resulted in people being arrested in NY

Posts: 3286 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paul, if you are "packing" I hope that it's a non assisted pocket knife with a blade length less than 2.5 inches. Any longer can mean Prison time. As for a Handgun, having a handgun in your possession in New York State is actually worse than having a handgun in Canada. Canada will give you less prison time. New York will give you an absolute minimum of 5 years. In State Prison.

I rode the Southern Tier Expressway around 2004 riding back from Americade on Lake George to the Cleveland area. At that time it was the most miserable highway I had ever ridden on. Note, Michigan now has worse due to 20-30 years of neglect and overweight trucks. Every single slab of concrete was frost heaved so bad it felt like you were riding on a giant saw blade. Bam Bam Bam every 20 feet. As a result I won't ever even think about taking that route again.

Note, if Maine offers and Enhanced Drivers License it's an easy way to get a sort of passport for trips into Canada or Mexico. All you need to get one is you Birth Certificate, a bit of cash, and a few hours of time at the Secratary of States office. BTW, I said hours because here in Michigan unless you book a slot online that is how long you'll wait for new tabs, renewing a drivers license or other stuff that would be in an out in the bad old days when every township had a SOS office and evening and Saturday hours.

Now, if you had an Enhanced Drivers license the rout I would suggest is very scenic. Take whatever route you want to Lake George Village in New York. There you will see a bit of the Queen of American Lakes and a real beauty she is. In the Village you will want to find the major north south route which is 9N. Turn north on 9N and stay on it until you get to Plattsburg, New York. BTW, if you were making this drive in early June I'd tell you to have your windows open, because in the spring you'll go thru valleys that smell like Heaven from all the wild flowers in bloom. Once you are in Plattsburg follow the signs to the Northway route 87. Take 87 North to Montreal, Canada. Stop and have a great meal in downtown Montreal. After your meal find route 401 and take that West across Canada along the St. Lawrance Seaway, and Lake Ontario. Stay on 401 until you get to Windsor, Canada across the river from Detroit Michigan. Pick either the Bridge or the Tunnel and proceed into Detroit. Note, stick to the freeways, I-75, or I-96, or I-94 depending on where you are heading. DO NOT EXIT the freeways within the confines of Detroit, there are areas where you never want to find yourself in. Once you are beyond the core of Detroit the only real hazards are the road surfaces, road construction, and the idiot drivers. Note, once you are 30-40 miles out from Detroit kick your speed up to at least 7 mph over the posted limit, Michigan drivers drive FAST. On average about 10 over the posted limit but 25 over the posted limit is not uncommon in the boonies. I will also warn you that ANY open lane is a passing lane in Michigan, so you'll have drivers swarming past you on all sides. Tip, if you see a driver coming up on you like a missile don't even think about moving into the right lane, stay in your lane and let them blast past you.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
PHPaul give me a shout before you make the trip. I’m right on your way. And by the way, your 2.5 inch knife isn’t going to get you sent to prison.

Posts: 438 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Paul, if you are "packing" I hope that it's a non assisted pocket knife with a blade length less than 2.5 inches. Any longer can mean Prison time. As for a Handgun, having a handgun in your possession in New York State is actually worse than having a handgun in Canada. Canada will give you less prison time. New York will give you an absolute minimum of 5 years. In State Prison.

Assuming you have a Maine CPL, Michigan has reciprocity with Maine. Since you are traveling from a state where you can lawfully possess to a state where you can lawfully possess, the Firearm Owners Protection Act (FOPA) should allow you to travel through NY with the firearm unloaded, locked in a case, and placed in an area inaccessible to occupants.

I live in Michigan and am driving to Acadia National Park next month, so I am interested in the suggestions here. Safe travels!

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
MA, NY, and NJ don't give a damn about FOPA. It might be an affirmative defense, but they'll still take you for a ride.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Couple of notes, more general info that refuting anything posted above.

1. I was born and raised in Michigan, near St. Johns, about 20 miles North of Lansing on 27. I'm going to my brother's place in Mount Pleasant, so IF I was going via Canada, I'd cross at Sarnia.

2. Re: Michigan roads...last time I went North out of Ohio on 69. JEEBUS what a trainwreck. I think I still have a loose filling from that one.

3. I'm aware of the reciprocity thing, which is why I've been comfortable carrying.

4. I've made the trip by various routes 6 or 8 times over the years, always carried, never a problem. But then, I've never been stopped either. I'd like to think that whole "probable cause" thing would keep them from searching my vehicle even if I DID get stopped, but I'm not naive enough to believe that unreservedly. Now y'all have made me nervous. Do I carry and worry about getting stopped/searched or do I leave it at home and worry about being incapable of defending myself?

Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I am an upstate NY resident.
I may have a solution for you.
Send me an email.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1528 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Couple of notes, more general info that refuting anything posted above.

1. I was born and raised in Michigan, near St. Johns, about 20 miles North of Lansing on 27. I'm going to my brother's place in Mount Pleasant, so IF I was going via Canada, I'd cross at Sarnia.
The Blue Water Bridge between Sarnia and Port Huron is quite beautiful:
Port Huron Blue Water Bridge pano 1
by David Casteel, on Flickr

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post