SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Baby Steps For Me - Social Media Cleanse
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baby Steps For Me - Social Media Cleanse Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
SIGforum is my only social media.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

Smile

I don't twitter, tweet, instagram, facebook. I still have a flip-phone. My wife is the opposite on all counts. She claims SIGforum is my facebook/twitter/instagram all rolled into one.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:
Immediately after deactivating facebook, I noticed what a toxic and useless distraction it was. I've been without it for years now and have been happier because of it.

I have friends that are the same way. Not many because they're addicted to it and can't do anything without saying something on Facebook.
I go see live bands around N.E. Ohio and Western PA most every weekend and it blows my mind that everyone has their face buried in their phone on FB.
There's live music for Christ's sake.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

Smile

I don't twitter, tweet, instagram, facebook. I still have a flip-phone. My wife is the opposite on all counts. She claims SIGforum is my facebook/twitter/instagram all rolled into one.

That's me.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I use it for memes and on the shitter. Deactivated it for quite a while and broke myself of posting anything.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
You could give it up for Lent (ie the 40 days between Ash Wednesday and Easter). I know several people who do that annually since they have medical reasons they cannot fast.

Good idea. I was originally a Catholic as a kid, now a Protestant but never really did the Lent thing but this sounds like a good idea.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
The Dog you feed is the dog that grows…

I keep the negative bullshit down to absolute minimum. There are only a few websites on the Internet that I visit with any regularity. They are either good communities like here, or specialized topics per specific products/applications.

Shit, if I see Juan Williams face pop up I fucking change the channel pronto. I don't have time to fill my head with their BS.

Here is the deal, no one is likely to change my politics and I'm not likely to change theirs, therefore why bother? I don't feel the need to rationalize it or justify my position to anyone; further life is complicated enough to where I'm not going to allocate extra bandwith just to absorb negativity.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
No social media at all for me, only Sigforum

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just SF for me too. I have already been to Junior High, no need to return!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I know many of you loathe Facebook but I've been a regular user since 2008. Lately I have noticed how ugly it's getting with friends and family over politics mostly and it just doesn't seem as fun as it used to be. I've decided to take a baby step and shut it down for 30 days, cold turkey, to concentrate more on the people that really matter right now; my wife and child and baby on the way.

You must have very different Facebook friends than I have. My Facebook feed is mostly guns and animals.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:No Facebook, no Twitter, no LinkedIn, nothing. I just won't do it. This forum is as close as I get to social media.

Add me to the "just say no" group.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
FB = filth

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:

You must have very different Facebook friends than I have. My Facebook feed is mostly guns and animals.

A lot of my extended family as well as some friends are very butthurt Hillary voters and bitter to this day about it.

IF I come back, I'm basically going to un-follow/un-friend personal pages and just use it for news and fun and discussion with a few people I was friends with who like to discuss news and politics of the day without being nasty to each other.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
FB meh, didn't really use it much, have an account, block everyone but family and a few close friends from posting their stuff so I can't see it unless I go to their pages, which I don't.

Use it for cigar events, car shows, gun stuff and a few other things I like to follow such as my university.

Don't post anything, just use it for keeping up on local events mostly since that's where they put the information.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it's all in how you use it. I've had an account since 2005. Over the last 2 years or so, my use has gone down to almost nothing, and I believe it's been a year or so since I've been on. I did find it to be toxic for me at different times, for different reasons, doesn't mean it is for everyone. I just lost interest naturally and have found nothing to bring me back at this point. If I had a use for it, I would use it. I could see the need to do a hard reboot.

I did use it for quite a while to keep up with former USMC brothers, but just fell off with that after a while too.

I have observed it becoming an unhealthy obsession with one of my sisters. A lot of keeping up with the Joneses type shit, getting pissed off at every negative or contrary thing, etc., and it gets to her. I wish she would do a deliberate reset and turn it off for a while.

FB and social media in general is here to stay, whatever the case. My overall social media participation is fairly low by virtue of my lifestyle, but it's not something I take personal pride in or point out (except in this case).

Posts: 2957 | Location: NM | Registered: July 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I just don't talk politics on it, nor do I follow any people who do. If I notice someone is yammering on about politics I simply unfollow them. Easy peasy. My feed is nothing but things I'm actually interested in from people or companies who aren't annoying.

If you're getting bothered by what your friends are saying, stop listening / following them.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I never realized just how addicted to FB I was, it's strange going on Day #2 to go without it, but I'm also already realizing just how much TIME that goddamn thing sucked from me.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Almost a month into my Facebook cleanse and it feels good...real good. I turned it on a couple days ago to post something on a yardsale page but went right back off again and I realized that I wasn't missing out on anything.

At this point I'm staying gone till May 1, that will be 2 full months and at that point I may just decide to stay gone for good and not just deactivate my account, but obliterate it.

Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
No social media for me. I get too much exposure already just from listening to the wife and others talk about the mostly useless crap they glean from it.
I have been saying for at least 5 years the next big thing will be digital rehab for those who can't conduct a normal life due to digital addictions such as phones and social media.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post