SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Baby Steps For Me - Social Media Cleanse
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baby Steps For Me - Social Media Cleanse Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I know many of you loathe Facebook but I've been a regular user since 2008. Lately I have noticed how ugly it's getting with friends and family over politics mostly and it just doesn't seem as fun as it used to be. I've decided to take a baby step and shut it down for 30 days, cold turkey, to concentrate more on the people that really matter right now; my wife and child and baby on the way.

There's been a lot of articles recently about how mental health experts are saying that limiting or shutting down social media has a tremendous impact on you in a positive way so it will be interesting to see. Who knows, maybe 30 days will turn out to be the break I needed or maybe I just leave it all together!

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
The wife has a Bookface acct, I never have. Her observations of the vitriol and toxicity mirror yours.

Seems there are less and less folks she wants to have contact with because they have turned nuttier than squirrel shit.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I treat my Facebook page like a bar: I don't talk politics or religion.

But in closed Facebook pages, I let her rip.

I don't respond to posts that show up on my page that are either political or religious unless I'm making a joke about it or, on the rarest of occasions, I have to respond in a serious manner.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No Facebook, no Twitter, no LinkedIn, nothing. I just won't do it.
This forum is as close as I get to social media. I do check out TTAG once in a while but these 2 are it.
To me, it's garbage.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
You could give it up for Lent (ie the 40 days between Ash Wednesday and Easter). I know several people who do that annually since they have medical reasons they cannot fast.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I have it because my ten year old doesn't have cell service. He's always on wifi so I gave him an old cell phone and we can text and talk through basebook (RvB fans will get that reference) messenger. He can still call 9-1-1 if needed. He doesn't do anything on fb. So it's goid enough for now.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
No Facebook, no Twitter, no LinkedIn, nothing. I just won't do it. This forum is as close as I get to social media.
Yup. What he said.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
You and me both. What a lot of people here don't realize is that facebook used to be exclusive to colleges and I joined when it was still invitation only. I agree completely and have unfollowed at least 25 people. I've stopped political posts and hide whatever comes in that is annoying. I've done the cold turkey a few times but it's really useful when planning events and getting reminders for events.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
Immediately after deactivating facebook, I noticed what a toxic and useless distraction it was. I've been without it for years now and have been happier because of it.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I gave it up and have been very happy. I deactivated my account. But I can always turn it on again if I hear (through my wife) that someone in our network is in trouble and needs help.

The politics just got too crazy. I thought the election was bad. Trump winning made it exponentially worse.

Gave up on the MSM and spend my time reading history books and biographies from the Library free on my Kindle. I'm much better off.

If anything urgent happens in the world, I'll hear about it when I check Sig Forum.

ETA: A bonus is the fact that I'm not letting them data mine my valuable "clicks and data" to feed the Zuckerburg empire. The monetization that company has achieved is staggering.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
No Facebook, no Twitter, no LinkedIn, nothing. I just won't do it. This forum is as close as I get to social media.
Yup. What he said.

What they said Cool

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine, for 50+ years, blocked me from FB, shut down all the Words With Friends games we were playing, and probably blocked my phone number too, when I assured him I didn't vote for Hillary and the policies of insanity. He was a journalist, worked for the Boston Globe among other rags, so I knew where he stood. I just didn't care, I thought friends were friends. But what he did really awoke me like no other fact as to just how insane these people are.
Three women, all old friends from high school, were bitter about Clinton's defeat, so each of them posted 10 or 15 diatribes per day about how the world is going to end now. I didn't block them, like he did me, I just "unfollowed" them, which allows me to avoid their daily crap. I can electively check out their thoughts if I wish. Once in a while I do, but they're still three bitter old hags.
On a positive note, I joined a Gary Larson page, and the members post Far Side cartoons on a daily basis. Much better.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I use the Book of Faces for (1) keeping in touch with distant .mil friends that I would otherwise be out of touch with and (2) for fighting the Leftists on their own turf.

Like it or not, it's a battleground of ideology and some of Trumps success is do to what goes on there. And I speak from experience and firsthand knowledge that at least a handful of his votes in FL were due to information passed by me and my family.

People who were afraid of telling coworkers they weren't a hard Left liberal after reading stuff posted and having online discussions. They voted Trump.

Certainly, set boundaries with its use and don't let it consume your life, but I see it as a necessary way to get the word out.

In a battle, you never give ground unless it gives you an advantage, and here it gains nothing, IMO.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FrankMoses:
On a positive note, I joined a Gary Larson page, and the members post Far Side cartoons on a daily basis. Much better.
I'll have to check that out. I also follow a lot of space exploration pages / NASA stuff, along with dogs and funny animal memes.

Keeps it tolerable when it's full of leftist shit. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only social media I participate in is the original one - Amateur Radio. I did facebook years ago for about 6 months and then they cancelled me. Cool! Facebook was boring compared to talking to other amateurs in cool places like; Falkland Islands, Japan, Isle of Man, South Africa, Indonesia and so on.

Ween yourself off. People need downtime. We were not meant to be connected 7x24. I saw enough burn out in IT over the past 35 years.

Of course don't wean yourself off of this site - sorta social media, mostly educational.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Yup. What he said.

What they said Cool

^^This

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1902 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I kind of have to use it. I run community sized events for kids in our school district, and it is the easiest way to pass along information.

But I have to belong to specific groups to do that, and you have to belong to a group to pass along or even get the information.

Other than that, I go through my friends list, and delete people if they get annoying. I only have ~100 friends, so I'm not popular by choice.

But I do use it a lot for the specific groups.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Bloom County. It's on FB. And as funny as ever.

Don't give up on social media because it has gone political. The real world is just as bad.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I spend most all day at work on a computer already, plus have a PC game at home that I can waste plenty of time on actually having fun. Never felt the least desire to do facebook because it always sounded like it would be more work than fun.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being on Facebook is like sitting at the cool table
in the cafeteria of a mental institution.

Posts: 162 | Registered: April 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post